Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Future of Serial ports for Palm

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 12:28:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi all, I am working on some software that will connect to a piece of
industrial equipment using a Palm Pilot and a serial cradle for the Palm. I
can buy serial cradles now, but I am worried as to the future availability
of the serial cradle for the Palm. Does anyone know if Palm has stated if
they will support the serial in the future? Someone told me that the
universal port on the Palm was built with Serial.

David
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:23:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In message <<zrKdncQBcqq_RQfdRVn-ig@comcast.com>> "David Ditch"
<dditch1@deletediscomcast.net> did ramble:

>Hi all, I am working on some software that will connect to a piece of
>industrial equipment using a Palm Pilot and a serial cradle for the Palm. I
>can buy serial cradles now, but I am worried as to the future availability
>of the serial cradle for the Palm. Does anyone know if Palm has stated if
>they will support the serial in the future? Someone told me that the
>universal port on the Palm was built with Serial.

The universal connector offers USB and serial. However, many/most of
the palms released recently haven't included a universal connector.

In my case, it's the reason I'm sticking with my m505 rather then
upgrading.

--
I'm only a pigment of my imagination.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 1:26:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:23:30 +0000, DevilsPGD wrote:

> The universal connector offers USB and serial. However, many/most of
> the palms released recently haven't included a universal connector.

Such as? Ever since Palm (and later palmOne) has introduced the Universal
Connector, every Palm handheld device shipped by them, has shipped with
this connector. OEMs that have different hardware (i.e. Sony, Handspring)
are free to do what they want with connector types, but Palm themselves
is sticking with it. See the recent thread on conduit-dev-forum for more
details.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 1:26:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Such as? Ever since Palm (and later palmOne) has introduced the Universal
> Connector, every Palm handheld device shipped by them, has shipped with
> this connector. OEMs that have different hardware (i.e. Sony, Handspring)
> are free to do what they want with connector types, but Palm themselves
> is sticking with it. See the recent thread on conduit-dev-forum for more
> details.

Tungsten E: no Universal Connector
Zire 31: no Universal Connector
Zire 72: no Universal Connector

Are these not shipped by palmOne?
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:20:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In message <<pan.2004.05.07.13.26.22.88161@gnu-designs.com>> "David A.
Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> did ramble:

>> The universal connector offers USB and serial. However, many/most of
>> the palms released recently haven't included a universal connector.
>
> Such as? Ever since Palm (and later palmOne) has introduced the Universal
> Connector, every Palm handheld device shipped by them, has shipped with
> this connector. OEMs that have different hardware (i.e. Sony, Handspring)
> are free to do what they want with connector types, but Palm themselves
> is sticking with it. See the recent thread on conduit-dev-forum for more
> details.

You want a list of Palms that have shipped under the Palm/PalmOne brand
since the m500/m505? I'll probably forget some, but here we go:

These ones have the universal connector:

m500/m505/m515
i705
Zire71
TungstenT/T2/T3
TungstenC
TungstenW

These ones do not:

Zire
Zire21
Zire31
Zire72
TungstenE
Treo 270/300
Treo 600

A far cry from "Every Palm handheld device" -- In fact, it's generally
only the highend ones that still carry the universal connector.
Personally, I'd like a Zire72 with the universal connector.

I bought my girlfriend a Zire71 for Christmas, she loves it.
Personally, I'd like a little more memory, so I'm waiting until
something that meets my needs comes out, until then I can live with my
m505.
--
"NEWS SERVERS ARE NOT POWER BY HAMSTERS"
-- rfgdxm/Robert F. Golaszewski
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:20:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:20:31 +0000, DevilsPGD wrote:

> A far cry from "Every Palm handheld device" -- In fact, it's generally
> only the highend ones that still carry the universal connector.
> Personally, I'd like a Zire72 with the universal connector.

Interesting. I stand corrected

Though the interface presented on these devices is the same
"inside" (i.e. has power/usb/serial interfaces on the connector). Even if
the external connector is not of the UC type, a cable with the proper end
can be fashioned fairly easily, if necessary.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 6:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Though the interface presented on these devices is the same
> "inside" (i.e. has power/usb/serial interfaces on the connector). Even if
> the external connector is not of the UC type, a cable with the proper end
> can be fashioned fairly easily, if necessary.

What are you talking about? All of these devices have USB ports only,
there is no serial interface whatsoever.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 10:25:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"David A. Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.07.17.52.36.623304@gnu-designs.com...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:20:31 +0000, DevilsPGD wrote:
>
> > A far cry from "Every Palm handheld device" -- In fact, it's generally
> > only the highend ones that still carry the universal connector.
> > Personally, I'd like a Zire72 with the universal connector.
>
> Interesting. I stand corrected
>
> Though the interface presented on these devices is the same
> "inside" (i.e. has power/usb/serial interfaces on the connector). Even if
> the external connector is not of the UC type, a cable with the proper end
> can be fashioned fairly easily, if necessary.

You had no idea what you were talking about in the beginning, and you still
don't. I don't know what happened between now and then that makes you think
you even know what a Zire 72 even looks like.

Please refrain from telling us what's possible when you don't have a damned
clue.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 11:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:57:20 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> What are you talking about? All of these devices have USB ports only,
> there is no serial interface whatsoever.

Sigh. The m505 has a serial interface, as well as a USB interface,
on the same Universal Connector. So does the Zire, and other non-UC units.

Please look at the palmOne HDK schematics for more information.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 11:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 19:49:02 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Sigh. The m505 has a serial interface, as well as a USB interface,
> on the same Universal Connector. So does the Zire, and other non-UC units.

You're incorrect again. The m505 _does_ have a Palm Universal Connector,
as does the Zire 71 (the only Zire that has any serial interface
whatsoever).

So, again, you're wrong. The units that have only USB connectors (the Zire
72, for example) do _NOT_ have serial capabilities, exposed via their
connectors or otherwise.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 2:41:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 18:21:36 -0700, Lenroc wrote:

> You're incorrect again. The m505 _does_ have a Palm Universal Connector,
> as does the Zire 71 (the only Zire that has any serial interface
> whatsoever).

> So, again, you're wrong. The units that have only USB connectors (the
> Zire 72, for example) do _NOT_ have serial capabilities, exposed via
> their connectors or otherwise.

You're not reading what I said. The Universal Connector *IS* a serial
interface (and a USB interface and power and several other things,
depending on which pins you happen to interface with).

If the ZireXX didn't have serial capabilities, why does the OS contain
support for non-USB serial communication methods, using a local
Cradle/Cable connection?

Anyway, end of discussion. Read the HDK, check the source code.
Everything you need is right there in the Resource Pavilion and the
PluggedIn program resources.
Anonymous
May 8, 2004 6:49:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sat, 08 May 2004 10:41:07 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> You're not reading what I said. The Universal Connector *IS* a serial
> interface (and a USB interface and power and several other things,
> depending on which pins you happen to interface with).
>
> If the ZireXX didn't have serial capabilities, why does the OS contain
> support for non-USB serial communication methods, using a local
> Cradle/Cable connection?

The "ZireXX" does _NOT_ have a PUC.

The Zire 71 does, but all other Zires (72 included) do _not_.

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:15:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"David A. Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.08.14.41.07.282952@gnu-designs.com...
> On Fri, 07 May 2004 18:21:36 -0700, Lenroc wrote:
>
> > You're incorrect again. The m505 _does_ have a Palm Universal Connector,
> > as does the Zire 71 (the only Zire that has any serial interface
> > whatsoever).
>
> > So, again, you're wrong. The units that have only USB connectors (the
> > Zire 72, for example) do _NOT_ have serial capabilities, exposed via
> > their connectors or otherwise.
>
> You're not reading what I said. The Universal Connector *IS* a serial
> interface (and a USB interface and power and several other things,
> depending on which pins you happen to interface with).
>
> If the ZireXX didn't have serial capabilities, why does the OS contain
> support for non-USB serial communication methods, using a local
> Cradle/Cable connection?
>
> Anyway, end of discussion. Read the HDK, check the source code.
> Everything you need is right there in the Resource Pavilion and the
> PluggedIn program resources.

The Zire 72 doesn't have a Universal Connector. It has a small USB port,
nothing more. Same thing you find on many digital cameras.

There's no serial port whatsoever on many of the newer Palms.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 6:03:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"David A. Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote in
news:p an.2004.05.08.14.41.07.282952@gnu-designs.com:

> If the ZireXX didn't have serial capabilities, why does the OS
> contain
> support for non-USB serial communication methods, using a local
> Cradle/Cable connection?

Windows has support for non-USB serial communications methods also, but if
the hardware has no serial port, the support means nothing. All Zire
models except the Zire 71 have no hardware serial support, and neither does
the Tungsten E. That's why all the gyrations to come up with a GPS that
works with them - it requires the GPS itself to be a USB host, even though
the standard GPS interface is serial. Any OS can have provisions for
hardware that isn't installed on the device.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In message <<pan.2004.05.08.14.41.07.282952@gnu-designs.com>> "David A.
Desrosiers" <hacker@gnu-designs.com> did ramble:

> If the ZireXX didn't have serial capabilities, why does the OS contain
>support for non-USB serial communication methods, using a local
>Cradle/Cable connection?

They're likely running the same base OS as other Palms. I can install
the drivers for a floppy drive on my PC and the A: drive appears, but if
I have no physical floppy drive, I still can't read/write floppies.

The IR port actually uses the serial controller though, which is
probably part of the confusion -- It's quite possible that non-UC palms
actually have part of the serial controller for purposes of the IR port.

> Anyway, end of discussion.

Sure, if you want. That doesn't change the fact that you are not
correct.

--
'Tis far better to have snipped too much than to never have snipped at all.
!