New BIOS for Asus MBs.. And support for 1600FSB!!

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Has anyone downloaded and tried these new Bios's?? I downloaded for my P5KC, but it said to flash it via Afudos and not via EZflash.... I dont have a FDD.. how to flash it?? And also, has anyone else done this?? Noticed any improvements??

FSB1600 - Meh, i had my E6600 @ FSB1600 from week 1, and now my quad at ~1500, as for "Improvements" - from what? your old cpu still runs at old specs (FSB800, 1066, 1333), and just "Supports" FSB1600 by overclock, which you could do manually in the first place.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
hmm.... Wel I agree... I am on Q6600 too... at 1333.. I am not just talking abt fsb1600... It also said it enhances performance and improves memory compatibility and the like... I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the BIOS upgrade as a whole..

Just switched to the latest beta last night on my P5K Deluxe (803 I think).
I don't know about improved memory compatibility or performance but it dose give some more information on their overclocking settings.
And yes, it could do 1600FSB just fine before the updated but this added extra settings for ram frequency which allows you to overclock without needing high end ram.

It is easy enough to update.
Just download the latest bios file and put it on a flash stick.
Restart to and hit ALT-F2 (or which ever key combo it posts to enter
"Asus Ez Flash II" or something similar), point the utility to your flash stick and it does the rest.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
@outlw6669... The latest BIOS which offers support for 1600FSB HAS to be flashed thru AFUDOS.... NOT via EzFlash.... Thats why I am asking... Since I dont have a fdd drive and dunno how to boot thru flash...

Hazy

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
If u check around asus bios version 801 is not very stable it would be better to stay with 603 till they fix the new version

No problem.
Here is the ASUS support page for the utility and this should link you to the latest BIOS files for you motherboard.
It looks like version 1001 is the latest official release for your board, not a beta.

If you don't have a floppy drive you can make it work using a USB flash stick.
Format and follow the directions as if it were a floppy disk, then boot into your BIOS.
This is coming out of my P5K Deluxe BIOS so it might not be exactly the same in yours.
Go to the advanced tab and select USB Configuration.
At the bottom you will see USB Mass Storage Device Configuration, open it and switch Emulation Type to Floppy or Forced FDD (I haven't tried it myself so use which ever works).
Go to the boot menu and make sure the first boot device is set to floppy drive and set the second is set to the flash stick just for good measure.

Exit & save changes and it *should* treat your flash as a floppy.
From this point it should work the same as in the guide.

Wish I had time to test it myself but it's already 1:30 here and I have to work in the morning. :sleep: