Nehalem Possible Arrival Date? Anyone Know?

Hi, does anyone have an idea when Nehalem may arrive? It would be nice if we had a Nehalem sticky post, providing all the latest info on it.

Decided to hold off of my build and wait...not in that big a hurry, so I guess I can wait. Of course, I want to build sometime this year. Damn these UNKNOWN arrival dates :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: !

Well Nerds :lol:, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

NERDS ROCK! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i'm also considering waiting, depending on how long it's gonna take for nehalem to come. i heard somewhere it's coming sometime in Q3 '08, but i've also heard that only the high-end nehalem cpu will be coming in Q4 '08. so i'm not too sure what's happening :p

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

that's a good point. intel may delay nehalem due to the lack of competition. they don't really need to release anything new if there's no competition.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

there's definitely going to be a quad core cpu. and it's going to be native quad core, instead of the 2 E6600's basically stuck together and called the Q6600 :D. supposedly there's also going to be an octo-core cpu.

sailer

Splendid

That's the fly in the ointment. Intel has delayed the Penryns, the X48 motherboard, and more because of no competition, also called no reason for them to release newer tech and only have themselves to compete with. Some rumors have floated around that they are having some chip problems as well, similar in idea to AMD's Phenoms, and they are holding back until the problems get fixed. And since there is no competition, there is no need to hurry. So when does Nehalem come out; Q4, or maybe next year some time? Who knows.

Of course, if it is the lack of competition that's causing the delay, then we are seeing some of the prophecies in the AMD side coming true; that without competition, Intel has no compelling reason to release new products and can end the cycle of cheap CPUs, leaving only more expensive ones in the future. I want the X48 to come out, along with a new quad to stick into it! And I don't want to wait for six more months or something.

This is all true. Plsu if Intel just kept on pumping away and AMD couldn't catch up AMD might not last and Intel does not want that. If AMD were in Intels position they wouldn't want it either.

If Nehalem stays on schedule it is set for roughly the same time this November for their Uber-mega-killer high end and Q1 09 for the mainstream parts.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

i really hope they release it sometime this year. I don't wanna have to spend another year or 2 on my P4 system, and i'm not sure i wanna buy a core 2 system at some point this year because it's going to be ridiculously out-dated quite fast... tough decision for me

sailer

Splendid

If you get a X48 with a Yorkie in it, it may be technically outdated in a year or so, but it will still run everything fine for years to come. Think about it. Vista and DX10 have been out for a year now. How much software do you see that requires either Vista or DX10? It will be years before software comes out that will totally leave XP and DX9 behind, so if you bought a X48/Yorkie combo, it will work for many years.

I mainly want the X48/Yorkie because one of my computers is on its last legs. I keep wondering when it will be that I try to start it and it doesn't start. Its too old to think about updating, so it will be a complete replacement when the time comes, and I don't want to replace it with something that will be outdated in a month.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

that is a good point. just because it's not the latest and greatest doesn't mean it's not capable of running programs for years to come. after all i have survived 5 years on a P4 havent i? :D

There's little reason for Intel to hold back on Penryn. They have to have the 45 nm tooling and process set up and at least somewhat ready to make chips in some volume already if they are shipping much of anything made on the process. This means that Intel has already sunk all of the costs into 45 nm already. The equipment is already bought and the R&D necessary to get the process up and going has also been spent already. Penryn, Wolfdale, and Yorkfield, and Harpertown are smaller dies and thus will statistically yield better and be less expensive to produce than the 65 nm units, meaning that it's cheaper for Intel to make a 45 nm chip than a 65 nm one. Also, Intel can migrate chipsets and such to 65 nm and move them off the old 90 nm tooling, resulting in smaller chipset dies that run cooler and cost less to make. Plus, Intel can sell the old 90 nm tooling or use it to make other ICs. Any way you slice it, it's nothing but a winning situation for Intel to stop making 65 nm CPUs and start making 45 nm CPUs as soon as they can.

Now with Nehalem/Bloomfield/whatever the other code names are, it might make sense to hold back on full-scale production and release if the competition is not there. The tooling is already being utilized by the Penryn/Wolfdale/Yorkfield/Harpertown generation and these chips are smaller and less expensive to make than the much bigger Nehalems will be. Intel would just be competing with itself and rendering their current lines of CPUs obsolete and unnecessarily killing profits. Also, the more 45 nm Core 2s Intel can run through their 45 nm tooling, the easier it will be to run Nehalems through there as the process will be much more mature. They are NOT rendering their 65 nm CPUs obsolete with the introduction of the 45 nm units as the 45 nm CPUs are by and large identical to the 65 nm units and more or less interchangeable in the market. (I'm talking about OEMs and such here, not enthusiasts. The 45 nm CPUs *do* render the 65 nm ones obsolete as they overclock better.) Performance clock-for-clock is within 5%, power consumption isn't all that much different, and the range of clock speeds is similar as well.

Some rumors have floated around that they are having some chip problems as well, similar in idea to AMD's Phenoms, and they are holding back until the problems get fixed. And since there is no competition, there is no need to hurry. So when does Nehalem come out; Q4, or maybe next year some time? Who knows.

This sounds more likely. Putting four cores on a single die is a complex proposition and it's no surprise that Intel has run into problems as well. They also don't have nearly as much experience in dealing with integrated memory controllers and point-to-point interconnects as AMD does, which probably makes it harder as well. Yes, the prototype PIII Celeron "Timna" had an IMC and the 386SL had a memory controller on-package (but not in-die). But that does not hold a candle to the five years and millions of K8s and K10s that AMD has had experience with. Intel luckily has the luxury of being able to wait and get everything sorted out before launch due to low competitive pressure, something AMD didn't have.

Of course, if it is the lack of competition that's causing the delay, then we are seeing some of the prophecies in the AMD side coming true; that without competition, Intel has no compelling reason to release new products and can end the cycle of cheap CPUs, leaving only more expensive ones in the future.

Intel will have a hard time ending the cycle of inexpensive CPUs. They drove the price of CPUs waaay down with the Core 2 introduction in the middle of 2006 to kick AMD in the face when they were already hamstrung with the ATi purchase. To reverse it, Intel will have to offer a product that is *much* better than the current units to be able to significantly raise prices, else people will just buy the cheap Core 2s. And if Intel suddenly jacks up Core 2 prices, AMD isn't anywhere near out of the game. A $230 Phenom 9600 may be an okay but not great performance deal compared to a $280 Q6600, but if the Q6600 shoots up to $500, even a $350 Phenom 9600 looks awfully damn attractive. AMD will certainly undersell Intel if they need to- that has been proven time and time again. I'd actually say that AMD regaining the top performance spot would do more to cause CPU prices to rise across the board than anything else. Intel has a history of selling slower parts at non-competitive prices when AMD is on top- look at the later PIII days and the entire P4 era except for the brief period when the Northwoods were the top dog.

I want the X48 to come out, along with a new quad to stick into it! And I don't want to wait for six more months or something.

The X48 isn't much more than a cherry-picked X38 anyway and there are a bunch of X38 boards out there today. And the Yorkfields are not all that different than the Kentsfields, unless you are a serious overclocker. And if you are, you can buy the QX9650 today if you want. I wouldn't, it's way too damned expensive, but it's out there. And even if you are an overclocker, you will probably get at best 20% more speed out of a Yorkfield than you will a Kentsfield from the reviews I've seen. Q6600s typically get into the mid 3s if you intend on replacing them in a year and the QX9650 will run in the low 4s with the same expected lifespan. You just have to weigh the options.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Its not a tough decision, you can get something soo much better than your p4 today for not that much money, which will last you for years to come. Otherwise you'll be waiting for mainstream nehalems, which will be next year, if only the extremes are out this year.

I heard it was going to be released with a free copy of Duke Nuken Forever ... about a month after AMD hits 3Ghz on the F11 stepping Phenom.

So ... not real soon.

lol ...

Though I bet it is ready to roll right now.

Once AMD woke Intel up they have been on 24/7 coffee shooters ever since.

Intel ... Like the Wraith ... they won't go to sleep now until the enemy has been eaten.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

probably. i'm sure nehalem isn't going to completely destroy the current core 2's (to the point where it makes all current hardware obsolete). well as long as you're only comparing mainstream parts.

abzurdia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Nehalem is the codename for a future processor microarchitecture being developed by Intel. Nehalem will be released in late 2008 for high-end chips[2] and Q3 2009 for mainstream chips.

Got this of wikipedia, like all of you say we should be able to buy the high end chips end this year, all the rest has to wait.

I find it a difficult situation, although you can buy a good performing system that doesn't cost to much, nehalem should performe upto 25% better, isn't that worth the waiting?

hannibal

Distinguished

Well 25% more speed for 50% more price... It can be reasonable if you are not in hurry in getting new computer....
But yeah, the Nehalem is the next generation and offer longer upgrade time. Buy Core2 now, and maybe a little bit fastre later.... or buy Nehalem next year and upgrade 8 cores vefrsion 3-4 years later...

But this all is irrelevant until the Nehalem is out...

abzurdia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008

I've done some more reading, and performance goes up 15-40%.
Personally, I don't think that sounds as lot, but if u do the maths (or just find a (fake) benchmark) it's a huge increase.
I think the price might go up, but why 50%? If I remember well C2D wasn't that expensive when it was launched, was it?