Sudden e6600 temp spike

inshadows

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I was happily o/c ing my e6600 to 3.0 ghz (9*333Mhz) no problems. Idling at around 38-42ish and going up to 46 max under load. (read under speedfan)

Yesterday was just surfing the net. No massive rise in ambient temp. CPU temp rose to 60 degrees and would not shift.

Now have reduced overclock down to stock. Idling at 43-46, before at stock it idled in early to mid 30s.

I will be having a gander at the heat sink this pm, checking its properly seated and isnt dusty. (its the Zalman 9500 LED - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-015-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=821 )

can anyone think what else it may be before i crank open the case and have a look see so i can rule out common things all at once with the case open in front of me.

Plus while I'm here, can i mix RAM sizes in my PC and retain Dual channel as long as I keep them in the relevant slots (2x1Gb and 2x2Gb)

Cheers

Chris

Rest of specs.

BFG 680i
2 X Corsair 1Gb dominator C4 6400 DDR2
Corsair HX 620
BFG 8800 GTX
Xfi Xtreme Gamer

randomizer

Champion
But his idle temps changed too, at stock. Don't worry dude I'm in the same boat, my E6600 runs 50-52C idle and 59-62C load, and I can't really explain it. Oh, and thats stock. Although unlike you, mine was always like that. Yours changed, kinda weird.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What? That is not normal. The temp goes from 46 max under load to 60 degrees while surfing the web. We don't know what load, prime95 etc., but that is definitely not normal.
Why don't you give it a try, I'm intrigued. I promise to pay attention.

@OP: If you had a push pin mounting cooler I would blame it immediately, but it looks like your HS has a back plate. Did you look to see if your fan is still spinning? Something is definitely wrong and you had better find it.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
factors:

case cooling - in and out and blow on or side fan
cpu cooler
air temp
cpu voltage
memory cooling
chipset or mobo cooling

speedstep on - does the voltage change with demand?

normal is too see from all core 2 cpus - 2180 or e4400 or q6600 - large spikes regardless of cooling.

its not only the size of the cooling device but it is dependant on voltage, demand, throttle control on/off etc.

normal ---------> this is part of the micro code in the cpu allow it too run faster, use less power and reduce energy consumption.

did you ever think of the spike in reverse? you do not see an increase in temp, your used to a decrease due to energy effecinecy and throttling.

its is reversed you see drop in normal temps due to micro code throttling etc

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
What you are saying are things that affect cooling, but none of them explain load temps of 46 jumping to web surfing (near idle) temps of 60. Now why don't you remove all of the things in your list and stick to any one that could cause that to occur. Unforunatey, you can't because none of those things would cause a 14c jump in temp going from load to near idle.

He either has had an HS fan failure or loose HS or he has something e.g., virus running the cores at 100% when his previous "load" was 75%. In either case it is not normal and he needs to look into it.

I don't know how you could say that given that you are mister overclocker.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's better. I still don't think you fully understand, the temp went to 60c while web surfing and it was at 46c under load. It's not just hot, but backwards.

endyen

Splendid
Check in task manager to see what is using a lot of processor.
@ Zorg, not sure, but I think you may have it wrong as well.
While OCed it stayed @60c, now @ stock it idles @ 46ish.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
How hard is this to understand?

inshadows

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Cheers all. You guys line of thought was similar to mine which is reassuring.

Got back from "work" today and had a gander inside the case.

1) Heat sink was correctly located and secured. Tightened screws just in case
2) Fans are all working, controlled by Zalman front panel fan controller
3) CPU usage at 16% ATM.
4) Defender and Avast Scans all in the clear
5) there was a dust bunny invasion. Took my trusty brush and air cylinder to them and cleared them out.
6) Idle has settled now to mid 30s which is more like normal

So the plan is to leave it and then try and re up the OC. Gonna replace the CPU cooler soon with the Thermalright IX14 when I upgrade my case.

Gonna put this one down to dust bunnies, but remain cautious, bit odd that one.

Thanks again and apologies if my original post wasn't 100% clear

Chris

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
livgreen1.jpg

Silly wabbit... :oops: