graphics Freezing.... HELP!

kensai13

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I just built a new system and am having a problem. Hope someone can help. This is the build...

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
4x Crucial Ballistix 1gb BL12864AA804
BFG 8800GT OC2 512MB
Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W PSU

+3.3v / +5v / +12v1 / +12v2 / +12v3 / +12v4
33A / 24A / 18A / 18A / 18A / 18A

Drivers are all updated.

Everything seems to run fine except after playing Crysis for around 20-30 minutes the screen freezes and gets all pixelated and red. I get the same problem when I run the Ntune stability test.

The videocard fan is running fine. The case isn't hot inside. I'm not getting any heat alarms. Not sure what to do.

,Thanks in advance for the advice.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
well, the case doesn't need to be warm for the videocard to overheat, especially if you have the stock cooler (plus yours is overclocked..). Download RivaTuner and look @ the hardware monitor, report back with core temp after say, 10m of crysis (ALT+TAB) or hook it.

akhilles

Splendid
If the case is hot, it's over. :) Dinner's served.

Didn't have to list the psu specs. Silverstone is far from generic.

Are you overclocking the gpu? Don't. It's pretty warm by itself. Install rivatuner to control fan speeds:

http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner2/

Have you turned on the alarm in nvidia driver?

Your 4x1gb are gonna need more vdimm than stock. 2.0v I'd say. Set it up in bios. Then run memtest for 5 passes:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

kensai13

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I used rivatuner to turn up the fan speed. That took care of it. I guess the cooler is JUST BARELY enough to get this factory OCd card by :( Seems totally solid with the fan cranked up. It's just a bit loud though. Thanks for all the help, guys. :)

You have two solutions

1-after market cooler.

2-use rivatuner and just adjust the fan speed to higher.
my fan works always at 45% i get 50c idle. while at load it runs at 75% n maintain 70c

3- Update the video BIOS with one that will change the fan speed based on temp
EVGA, XFX, BFG

But I found out it not much of help since I've tried to increase it to 100% by using RivaTuner and now I've replaced it with TT DuOrb and works just GREAT, reducing my idle temp from 59C to 43C and full load from 75C to 53C.