Sign in with
Your question

8800 GTS 512 Problem - PSU??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 29, 2008 1:51:49 AM

Hi I just bought and 8800 GTS 512 BFG, and now my games run fine all on settings to high in 1280*1024 resolution, but sometimes it came inestable I get some glitches while gaming, and the card itself make a lot of noise when Im playing. I have a PSU of 450 watts it came with the case ... so it can be the problem?? do I need to buy a better psu?? and of how many watts??
January 29, 2008 1:55:53 AM

I think you should get a better PSU. 550W to be safe.
January 29, 2008 2:01:40 AM

Ok, but wich PSU?? I don know which to buy, do I have to look for some especial specs? or what?
Related resources
January 29, 2008 2:09:52 AM

Ok but do I need for some speccial specs like ... i dont know but how i know if it fits to my case? and all the cables and other stuff? sorry but Im not very knowledge about it!
January 29, 2008 2:10:44 AM

This is probably one of the best websites to give you information on choices. For your card...I would check out minimum 550 Watt...but at least 600 to be safe

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Some of the better middle level PSU's

Thermaltake
Corsair
OCZ
Seasonic

The only thing I can tell you about what to avoid, comes from reading people's problems with Rosewill. They are cheaply made. I also understand that some of the Nvidia GTS 512's might have an issue or two with Antec PSU's...otherwise Antec is pretty safe...

Bob
January 29, 2008 2:13:05 AM

Nerox said:
Ok but do I need for some speccial specs like ... i dont know but how i know if it fits to my case? and all the cables and other stuff? sorry but Im not very knowledge about it!

Well, what's your case? If it's an average sized case, an average PSU should fit it.

Most PSU comes with a 20+4pin connector, so even if your mobo takes only the 20pin, it'll work out fine.
January 29, 2008 2:15:29 AM

Ok thanks ! but the problem I have, I mean the glitches and all that, it is 100% sure that is a PSU problem?
January 29, 2008 2:19:35 AM

Nerox said:
Ok thanks ! but the problem I have, I mean the glitches and all that, it is 100% sure that is a PSU problem?

Even if the PSU isn't the problem, 450W just isn't enough. At the very least, go 500W, but to be safe go for 550W. If the problem pursues, it's probably something else.
January 29, 2008 2:20:22 AM

Oh and please tell me your PC specs and what sort of glitches you were having.
January 29, 2008 2:26:09 AM

My specs are:

AMD 4200 OC to 2.4
M2N32 SLI DELUXE Wireless edition motherboard
2 GB Kingston 667 ddr2
Windows Vista 64 bits
8800 GTS 512 BFG

The problems I have is in games, for example,I can play bioshock with all high, but sometimes the camera stopped like 1 - 2 second, and some glitches like that, on almost all the game I have 60 fps with vertical sync on (my refresh rate is 60 hz) but sometimes it goes down to 30 fps.
January 29, 2008 2:28:28 AM

Nerox said:
My specs are:

AMD 4200 OC to 2.4
M2N32 SLI DELUXE Wireless edition motherboard
2 GB Kingston 667 ddr2
Windows Vista 64 bits
8800 GTS 512 BFG

The problems I have is in games, for example,I can play bioshock with all high, but sometimes the camera stopped like 1 - 2 second, and some glitches like that, on almost all the game I have 60 fps with vertical sync on (my refresh rate is 60 hz) but sometimes it goes down to 30 fps.

Sounds like a PSU problem. Not enough power produces stuttering in games. Go change it.

Now that I think of it, you're pc is a bit unbalanced. I'd recommend you OC your cpu more after you get a better PSU.
January 29, 2008 2:34:08 AM

Ok thanks! I have tried oc my cpu, and I reached 2.7 ghz, but it turns too hot, it easily went until 65 C°!! so I´ve turn it down until 2.4 and now the max them it gets is like 50 C°.
Will a better psu make things easier for overclock my cpu?
January 29, 2008 2:37:19 AM

Nerox said:
Ok thanks! I have tried oc my cpu, and I reached 2.7 ghz, but it turns too hot, it easily went until 65 C°!! so I´ve turn it down until 2.4 and now the max them it gets is like 50 C°.
Will a better psu make things easier for overclock my cpu?

Oh yeah.

I'd recommend this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It can match the best air cooling for less. Problem is, there's complaints with it when using it on AMD systems.
January 29, 2008 2:45:31 AM

mmmm but I´ve heard some good coments of it! well but any of them will fit on my case an mobo without a problem? sorry Im a noob!
January 29, 2008 2:47:34 AM

Nerox said:
mmmm but I´ve heard some good coments of it! well but any of them will fit on my case an mobo without a problem? sorry Im a noob!

It's okay, but it's too expensive for the performance it gives.

I just estimated that the Nirvana might barely fit. Mind measuring the max height from motherboard to side?
January 29, 2008 3:09:09 AM

As far as your PSU goes, compare your system to mine (sig), mine is very stable with 600 watts. I also have that Zalman cooler. It just barely fit in my case, too, but my cpu always idles at ambient, and only goes up ~20C under load. Those temps depends a lot on ambient, but it never goes over 45C even under heavy load with a warmer than usual ambient.
January 29, 2008 4:52:22 PM

mmm now I`ve noticed another problem, when I turn on the computer sometimes after loading the windows vista logo, the screen turns black and it doesnt show anything but the computer is still on! it will be because of the PSU??
January 29, 2008 5:31:30 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Oh yeah.

I'd recommend this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It can match the best air cooling for less. Problem is, there's complaints with it when using it on AMD systems.

It provides the some of the best air cooling when the fan is on HIGH. This unfortunately makes it incredibly loud for a CPU heatsink/fan and rules it out for many.
January 29, 2008 5:36:51 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Even if the PSU isn't the problem, 450W just isn't enough. At the very least, go 500W, but to be safe go for 550W. If the problem pursues, it's probably something else.

That is an incredible amount of misinformation. The OP would not need more than 450W even with an overclocked Q6600 with that 8800GTS (which uses just 92W or just under 8 amps on the 12V rail).

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p...

I would be much more concerned with amps allocated to the 12V rails, efficiency, and reliability. The 450W Corsair PSU in my system will power any single graphics card box you hook it up to. It's all about where the amps are.
January 29, 2008 5:42:09 PM

To the OP:
PSUs that come with cases are generally viewed as inept and incapable of powering higher end systems.
January 30, 2008 2:40:36 PM

so what should I do? do I have to look at the bios to see the 12V rail or something??
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 30, 2008 4:17:43 PM

Just to put this all into perspective....

E6600
1 Drive
2 sticks of ram(1 gig each)
X1900XT(109watts, thats more then a 8800GTS 512)
P5W DH board
No power house, but i was running it on an Antec 380watt psu with only 18amps on 1 12 volt rail....

450 should be more then enough, but not all psus are equal

Cheap 450 watt psu

+ 12 @ 15amps(180 watts)
+ 5 @ 30amps(150watts)
+ 3.3 @ 30amps(just under 120watts)
- 12 @ low
- 5 @ low
+5SBV @ low

For all rights this IS a 450 watt psu, but it does not have much 12 volt power at all

Now take a better PSU with 12 volt power in mind....

12 volts @ 25amps(300 watts)
5 volts @ 20 amps(100 watts)
3.3 @ 15 amps(about 50 watts)
- 12 @ low
- 5 @ low
+5SBV @ low

Both PSU's are 450 watts but the first one has as much 12 volt power as a good 250(if your not gaming most systems with onboard video run just fine with a 250 watt psu :)  ) watt psu....

Note: Those are just PSU examples. Most PSU's have shared rails so the 5 and 3.3 are shared and as long as the sum of those rails does not go over a certain wattage you are good. 12 volt rails are also shared with one another(combined) and with the 3.3 and 5 so if you use allot of 12 you take from the 5 and 3.3. in this case, as long as no voltage rail goes over its specs and the total stays under the psu max things are all good....

An example of shared rails 3.3 and 5 also note that even though they have 2 12 volt rails, they have a max....you can not load both to 17 amps...as long as the total of both does not pass 30amps(360 watts @ 12 volts) everything is good. if you add 360 + 130 you are over 430....once again the 12 and the 5 and 3.3 are all linked...as long as the total of all lines does not exceed 430(a little less since there is the -lines and standby power)you are fine
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 30, 2008 4:30:24 PM

Nerox said:
so what should I do? do I have to look at the bios to see the 12V rail or something??

Sometimes the bios lies about power....but check it....should be between 11.4(-5%) and 12.6(+5%). Those are the ATX specs. But this does not always help since its under load that a bad psu goes out of spec....over voltage is as bad as under voltage in this case...

you can try CPUID's Hardware Monitor
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
play and try to alt tab and see you voltage(its sucks that this app will not log low's)....

Speedfan will, but its a pain to config sometimes....
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
January 30, 2008 4:37:45 PM

mmm i dont understand well all that numbers, but cheking the Bios I found this:

VCore Voltage ----> 1.39V
3.3V Voltage -----> 3.15V
5V Voltage -------> 4.97V
12V Voltage ------> 11.90V

And then looking at the label stciker that is on my power supply it looks like this:

V Output

3.3V 5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB
22A 15A 14A 16A 0.3A 2.5A
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 30, 2008 4:56:09 PM

by those specs, your psu should have more then enough power....nearly(if not, your list does not show any of the combinations) 300 watts on its 12 volt rails.

So if it is able to pump out what it says it should work fine......

When you get this pause on games, does the hard drive light go mad?
Also did you apply the patch for bioshock?
January 30, 2008 11:10:36 PM

No I did not patch bioshock! but the pauses doesnt only appear on bioshock , it also happens in need for speed carbon.
I have sent a email to BFG support and they say that my 30 amps on the 12v rail is not enough because for my card the minimun is 32 amps, so they told me to buy a better psu.
Well, wich psu would you recomend me? please give some good advices because i dont know anything of psu!
January 30, 2008 11:12:35 PM

I also have black screens, for example like just 10 min ago, when I turn on my pc It boot normally but after a minute loading and show the desktpo the screen turn black and I couldnt do anything but restarted.
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 12:50:38 AM

off the top of my head - In no real order(well it happens to he alphabetical...but yeah)

Antec Truepower Trio 550W (42 amps)
Antec Earthwatts 500W (34 amps)
Corsair HX520 (40 amps) - Modular cables
Corsair HX620 (50 amps) - Modular cables
OCZ(made by FSP. so there is an identical unit under the FSP name, but ocz puts theres on sale allot) GameXtreme 700(50 amps)
OCZ StealthXtreme 700(50 amps....like a GameXtreme but with less cables...)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W (49 amps)
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (60 amps)
anything Seasonic 500 an up(Corsair and Antec have many of there psu's made by seasonic)

That out of the way....

there is NO way in the world that an 8800GTS 512 needs 32amps(its just under 8 amps). Thats 384 watts.....thats more then my full system takes(Q6600 @ 3.0 8800GTX 6 hard drives ect)...see my config if you want to see my system...when i game(and fold...so 100% cpu) my system tends to take 300-330 watts. I can push it to 360-375 with more demanding games anda bit of overclocking...

I am not ruling out that PSU since most cases come with garbage(Antec's cases come with psu's that are fine...)....
January 31, 2008 1:07:12 AM

Read this!!!

Don't run any games until you get a new PSU, otherwise your PSU will burt-out and fry your mobo and possibly something else.
Those black screens and the problems during games are caused by the PSU.

Good PSU for your sistem: Thermaltake Toughpower: any of them
Corsair: above 550 watts
Enermax: same
OCZ: same

I had a similar problem with a friends PC, and he had to buy a new mobo, ram and PSU.

When looking for a PSU you should look for:1 brand ones no generic or case+psu,2 wattage required (550 and above in your case) and a very important thing:3 ampere. Even if the +12v1 + +12v2 is 30 amp (in your psu) that dosn't mean the psu can deliver 30 amp ( my thermaltake toughpower 700w has: four rails at 18 amp each but the psu deliver 56 amp) the +12v1 14a or 18a means that the max A for that rail is 14a or 18a. What you should look for is for a good psu delivering in your case at least 32A combined.

My friend's crappy PSU said it can deliver 20A in each rail, but the actual combined amp were 20A so if you use all the +12v1 rail you get no power from the 2nd.

Also generic or case+psu hardly deliver what the label says. So in the end a 450w one can deliver 350w or 400w in the best case.

a quality PSU had PFC (power factor correction) and protection against over current, over voltage, and short circuit protection.

Finally, i would get any of the psu mentioned above, more watts if you are planing to OC or add HDDs. Personaly i would choose anything above 600w so i can add more things.

go to this site if you want to know more: http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Power_Supply_Unit

Hope this awser your questions!!!
January 31, 2008 1:08:02 AM

Read this!!!

Don't run any games until you get a new PSU, otherwise your PSU will burt-out and fry your mobo and possibly something else.

I had a similar problem with a friends PC, and he had to buy a new mobo, ram and PSU.

When looking for a PSU you should look for:1 brand ones no generic or case+psu,2 wattage required (550 and above in your case) and a very important thing:3 ampere. Even if the +12v1 + +12v2 is 30 amp (in your psu) that dosn't mean the psu can deliver 30 amp ( my thermaltake toughpower 700w has: four rails at 18 amp each but the psu deliver 56 amp) the +12v1 14a or 18a means that the max A for that rail is 14a or 18a. What you should look for is for a good psu delivering in your case at least 32A combined.

My friend's crappy PSU said it can deliver 20A in each rail, but the actual combined amp were 20A so if you use all the +12v1 rail you get no power from the 2nd.

Also generic or case+psu hardly deliver what the label says. So in the end a 450w one can deliver 350w or 400w in the best case.

a quality PSU had PFC (power factor correction) and protection against over current, over voltage, and short circuit protection.

Finally, i would get any of the psu mentioned above, more watts if you are planing to OC or add HDDs. Personaly i would choose anything above 600w so i can add more things.

go to this site if you want to know more: http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Power_Supply_Unit

January 31, 2008 1:09:46 AM

Read this!!!

January 31, 2008 1:35:09 AM

Ok thanks, so I think I will buy a new PSU .. the problem is that Im from Peru and I cant find those recomended brands that you tell me nowhere!!! jaja, but actually mi brother is in seattle working for a resort so I will tell him to buy it! is newegg the best site for hardware?
January 31, 2008 1:46:27 AM

Hey nukemaster, when you mentioned those corsair models you say "modular cables" what does that mean? did you look my case? is this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811190040 so any of those PSU will fit into my case? and how do I know if it has all the cables I need for all the drives I have?
January 31, 2008 1:50:42 AM

TurdBurglar said:
That is an incredible amount of misinformation. The OP would not need more than 450W even with an overclocked Q6600 with that 8800GTS (which uses just 92W or just under 8 amps on the 12V rail).

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354&p...

I would be much more concerned with amps allocated to the 12V rails, efficiency, and reliability. The 450W Corsair PSU in my system will power any single graphics card box you hook it up to. It's all about where the amps are.

I'll agree that 450W is more than enough to power his system, but most PSU that are rated at 450W doesn't do 450W. I had an Ultra 600W and it crapped out under 400W of load, so by experience, I'm telling people to go 100W over what's necessary.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 2:07:05 AM

Besides a better CPU HSF, and PS. Download NVTune, as I have the same card. My problem was solved by upping the fan speed, and clocking the core, and mem of the card down by as little as 10. Problem solved.
some links for good cheal PS, and HSF

PS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (not the best, but still better than Rosewill)

HSF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (if you have room)
HSF: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (if you don't have room)
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 2:46:00 AM

Modular cables mean some cables can be disconnected at the psu end....this allows you to remove extra cables you are not using(so you dont have those extra cables messing up your case airflow...)....

The cables for Hard drives and such can be removed...so you only use the cables you need

I can fully recommend that Acrtic colling Freezer recommended above(64 for A64's and freezer7 for Intel)....

Your newegg link did now work...what product did you have?
January 31, 2008 3:01:30 PM

I have installed Ntune and it says that the nforc temperature is 51°C and the GPU temperature is 59°C ... is it too high or Im wrong...
January 31, 2008 4:10:42 PM

How do I use NTune? because all the changes I made, after rebooting my computer they are gone!
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 4:13:32 PM

As said above. those 2 parts(I am not sure if i missed something, your running an intel system right? if its AMD there is a freezer 64) will give you what you are looking for....you will have to remove the air guide on the side panel of the case....but thats not a problem...

The only shame i see here is the fact that there is only 1 small 80mm fan cooling the computer.

Your temps are not too hot, but its at load when they go up allot...
My X1900XT will be 38ish at idle and 80 load... its the load temperature you want to keep an eye on...my 8800GTX idles at 61ish and loads between 75-85 depending on the game(or ati tool...)

Speaking of ati tool. Did you know you can use ati tool to load your card without entering a game. this way you can watch the temps....just run the spinning cube and it will get HOT....i have never seen anything draw power or make heat like ati tool's spinning cube....

http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
January 31, 2008 4:48:31 PM

Nerox said:
Hi I just bought and 8800 GTS 512 BFG, and now my games run fine all on settings to high in 1280*1024 resolution, but sometimes it came inestable I get some glitches while gaming, and the card itself make a lot of noise when Im playing. I have a PSU of 450 watts it came with the case ... so it can be the problem?? do I need to buy a better psu?? and of how many watts??

The 8800GTS needs 26Amps @12Volts.

Newegg had a email promo code last week for a PC Power & Cooling 610 delivered for $109 USD.
The 610 has one super regulated 12Volt rail with a -constant- 49Amp rateing with 40C air blowing into the PSU.
Surge rateing,like almost all other PSU companys, is 735 Watts.
January 31, 2008 5:05:14 PM

I have a question, I have used Ntune and I raise the fan speed and dow a little bit the core and memory bus, but when I restart the computer all the changes I made where gone! what do I have to doy to make them stablish? I also have tried to use rivatuner but I have an error that said that I couldnt use that program because it wasnt certificated for windows or something like that. please help
January 31, 2008 7:33:41 PM

ZOldDude said:
The 8800GTS needs 26Amps @12Volts.

Newegg had a email promo code last week for a PC Power & Cooling 610 delivered for $109 USD.
The 610 has one super regulated 12Volt rail with a -constant- 49Amp rateing with 40C air blowing into the PSU.
Surge rateing,like almost all other PSU companys, is 735 Watts.

That is quite misleading. An 8800GTS does not need 26A on the 12V rail by itself. The GTS uses 92W under full load which equivocates to 7.67A on the 12V rail. A 610W power supply is not necessary to run one. A quality 450W would be plenty.
a c 107 U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 7:56:03 PM

sorry, i do not use nvtune....

anyone....
bumpy...

@ ZOldDude - thats for a full system though....not just a video card.... that psu is recommended above....
!