Welcome to my nightmare.

I created a backup of critical files to a file called "backup" on my own
hard disk.

I then created a second backup of the backup file "backup" which was pointed
to save to another computer.

When my computer crashed I went to restore the backup, and it only restored
the backup file, NOT the actual files!!!

Anything I can do to get my stuff back? this is so wrong...
jf

It sounds like you backed up the backup file the second time instead of
backing up your system again. Doesn't work that way. The restore program
cannot place the files properly. It is akin to trying to install most
programs with the copy command. Some backup programs might be able to build
a catalog for such a file that the restore program could use, but I have
never tried it.

I never make a backup of the system to the same hard drive in any case. The
reason is obvious.

Some back up programs provide a means to make a second copy of the backup
that will restore just like the first back up, but not the way you appear to
have done it. The Windows backup won't in any case. I use a third party
backup program because Windows backup doesn't have the flexibility I like to
see.

"jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Welcome to my nightmare.
>
> I created a backup of critical files to a file called "backup" on my own
> hard disk.
>
> I then created a second backup of the backup file "backup" which was
> pointed
> to save to another computer.
>
> When my computer crashed I went to restore the backup, and it only
> restored
> the backup file, NOT the actual files!!!
>
> Anything I can do to get my stuff back? this is so wrong...
> jf

Did you reinstall your programs before running backup?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jimmy fallon" wrote:

| Welcome to my nightmare.
|
| I created a backup of critical files to a file called "backup" on my own
| hard disk.
|
| I then created a second backup of the backup file "backup" which was pointed
| to save to another computer.
|
| When my computer crashed I went to restore the backup, and it only restored
| the backup file, NOT the actual files!!!
|
| Anything I can do to get my stuff back? this is so wrong...
| jf

no, what i did was choose the option to restore to another folder instead of
the original folders.

regardless of what I choose, all it restores is a backup file not the actual
files...

major boner on my part, but it didn't seem obvious to me that it wouldn't
work....
never tested it,,,,

jf

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you reinstall your programs before running backup?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "jimmy fallon" wrote:
>
> | Welcome to my nightmare.
> |
> | I created a backup of critical files to a file called "backup" on my own
> | hard disk.
> |
> | I then created a second backup of the backup file "backup" which was pointed
> | to save to another computer.
> |
> | When my computer crashed I went to restore the backup, and it only restored
> | the backup file, NOT the actual files!!!
> |
> | Anything I can do to get my stuff back? this is so wrong...
> | jf

So let me get this straight.

You backed up the back up. Restored the 2nd backup and got the backup file
again.Which is exactly what is expected.

Did you then run a restore with the second backup file?
--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
> no, what i did was choose the option to restore to another folder instead
> of
> the original folders.
>
> regardless of what I choose, all it restores is a backup file not the
> actual
> files...
>
> major boner on my part, but it didn't seem obvious to me that it wouldn't
> work....
> never tested it,,,,
>

> jf
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you reinstall your programs before running backup?
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "jimmy fallon" wrote:
>>
>> | Welcome to my nightmare.
>> |
>> | I created a backup of critical files to a file called "backup" on my
>> own
>> | hard disk.
>> |
>> | I then created a second backup of the backup file "backup" which was
>> pointed
>> | to save to another computer.
>> |
>> | When my computer crashed I went to restore the backup, and it only
>> restored
>> | the backup file, NOT the actual files!!!
>> |
>> | Anything I can do to get my stuff back? this is so wrong...
>> | jf

yeah...

i backup up the backup file.

to another computer using windows backup.

when i restore all i get is backup.bkf or whatever the extension is.

not the actual files...
the file size however is large. so there must be data somewhere...

mvp's help me please!!!!

jf

"Manny Borges" wrote:

> So let me get this straight.
>
> You backed up the back up. Restored the 2nd backup and got the backup file
> again.Which is exactly what is expected.
>
> Did you then run a restore with the second backup file?
> --
> Manny Borges
> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>
> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
> -- Marty Feldman
> "jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > no, what i did was choose the option to restore to another folder instead
> > of
> > the original folders.
> >
> > regardless of what I choose, all it restores is a backup file not the
> > actual
> > files...
> >
> > major boner on my part, but it didn't seem obvious to me that it wouldn't
> > work....
> > never tested it,,,,
> >

> > jf
> >

> > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you reinstall your programs before running backup?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Carey Frisch
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP - Shell/User
> >> Microsoft Newsgroups
> >>
> >> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >> own

> >> pointed

> >> restored

That's what I thought you meant. Unfortunately, the first backup had an
index of all your files and the second backup has an index of one item - the
bkf. You are not going to be able to recover from it.

> yeah...
>
> i backup up the backup file.
>
> to another computer using windows backup.
>
> when i restore all i get is backup.bkf or whatever the extension is.
>
> not the actual files...
> the file size however is large. so there must be data somewhere...
>
> mvp's help me please!!!!
>

> jf
>

> "Manny Borges" wrote:
>
>> So let me get this straight.
>>
>> You backed up the back up. Restored the 2nd backup and got the backup
>> file
>> again.Which is exactly what is expected.
>>
>> Did you then run a restore with the second backup file?
>> --
>> Manny Borges
>> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
>> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>>
>> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write
>> with.
>> -- Marty Feldman
>> "jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > no, what i did was choose the option to restore to another folder
>> > instead
>> > of
>> > the original folders.
>> >
>> > regardless of what I choose, all it restores is a backup file not the
>> > actual
>> > files...
>> >
>> > major boner on my part, but it didn't seem obvious to me that it
>> > wouldn't
>> > work....
>> > never tested it,,,,
>> >

>> > jf

Well what happens when you double click on that backup.bkf file.

"jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yeah...
>
> i backup up the backup file.
>
> to another computer using windows backup.
>
> when i restore all i get is backup.bkf or whatever the extension is.
>
> not the actual files...
> the file size however is large. so there must be data somewhere...
>
> mvp's help me please!!!!
>

> jf
>

> "Manny Borges" wrote:
>
>> So let me get this straight.
>>
>> You backed up the back up. Restored the 2nd backup and got the backup
>> file
>> again.Which is exactly what is expected.
>>
>> Did you then run a restore with the second backup file?
>> --
>> Manny Borges
>> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
>> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
>>
>> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write
>> with.
>> -- Marty Feldman
>> "jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > no, what i did was choose the option to restore to another folder
>> > instead
>> > of
>> > the original folders.
>> >
>> > regardless of what I choose, all it restores is a backup file not the
>> > actual
>> > files...
>> >
>> > major boner on my part, but it didn't seem obvious to me that it
>> > wouldn't
>> > work....
>> > never tested it,,,,
>> >

>> > jf

it restores the.bkf file...
i'm toast...

thanks guys...
will send the drive off to ontrack to see what we can get...
jf

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Well what happens when you double click on that backup.bkf file.

> "jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yeah...
> >
> > i backup up the backup file.
> >
> > to another computer using windows backup.
> >
> > when i restore all i get is backup.bkf or whatever the extension is.
> >
> > not the actual files...
> > the file size however is large. so there must be data somewhere...
> >
> > mvp's help me please!!!!
> >

> > jf
> >

> > "Manny Borges" wrote:
> >
> >> So let me get this straight.
> >>
> >> You backed up the back up. Restored the 2nd backup and got the backup
> >> file
> >> again.Which is exactly what is expected.
> >>
> >> Did you then run a restore with the second backup file?
> >> --
> >> Manny Borges
> >> MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)
> >> MCT, Certified Cheese Master
> >>
> >> The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write
> >> with.
> >> -- Marty Feldman
> >> "jimmy fallon" <jimmyfallon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Have you considered buying the software from Ontrack? I did for $199
(EasyRecovery DataRecovery). Also, try the trial version first to see if
recovery that way is likely. If not, ship the drive.