BIOS not setting vcore correctly

willg95

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I guess the subsection would be mobo's idk but anyway... I'm overclocking my E8400 right now. It's gone swimmingly until 390MHz when I tested it in Prime95 and not even a minute it I get an error. So I assumed it needed a little bump in the voltage. Bumped it to 1.125 and checked CPU-Z, no change. Messing around with it for a while I tried 1.2v just for the hell of it, booted up, and CPU-Z still read it as if I never changed it. Speedfan reading it the same way as well. Trying Prime95 thinking maybe the programs just aren't reading it right but no, Prime95 still ran into the same error so nothing is obviously changing.

Right now I have it stable at 386FSB and trying tp solve this annoying problem

Motherboard is a DFI LanParty X38 T2R

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I give E8400 up to 1.45v on air and more on better than air cooling. I think your problem is vNB. Keep it under 1.6v on air. Most everything else can be on auto.

willg95

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
yeah but it won't set the vcore to anything. every application I have to read voltages still reports it idling around 1.12 and load around 1.18.

willg95

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

I don't know what you mean, how would the Northbridge affect the voltage reading in the OS? Because it's not reporting it they way it's set in the BIOS and the temps reflect that. They are still 35 idle and around 48 load no matter what voltage I set... :/

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You still here? Maybe you have C1E, Speed Step and EIST enabled in your Bios. That would explain why your loaded voltage is higher than your idle.

They are power saving features that make the CPU step down the voltage and multiplier to give a smaller speed with less power.

You can easily disable them in the Bios!

I recommend establishing what your default voltage is, just to know.

DL and run either core Temp, or real temp, and look for the VID field. Then list that here when you get the chance, that will be your CPUs starting voltage for stock speeds.

--Lupi