Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is call of duty 4 better graphics on PC or Xbox?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Call of Duty
  • Xbox 360
  • Graphics
  • Xbox
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 29, 2008 10:43:00 AM

My friend has an Xbox 360 and hes saying that Call of Duty 4 has much better graphics on XBox than pc in 1920X1080 resolution. Is this true?

More about : call duty graphics xbox

January 29, 2008 10:58:48 AM

closed_deal said:
Nope!

Not necessarily..
If a video card could output to full HD resolution, but with no filters, shading etc. then the 360 would look better.
You'd need a card capable of outputting to full HD, with say 4x AA (I'd guess thats probably along the lines of what the 360 runs, but it is just an educated guess...) all the effects and at a solid 40fps? I don't know what the target fps for the 360 is, but again just an educated guess at 40fps.
To do that on a CPU, I'd imagine you're looking at 3870 minimum, so not quite as clear cut as "Nope!" ;) 
Related resources
January 29, 2008 11:11:49 AM

Haven't this been discussed already on this board?

The question didn't specify what pc we are talking about so i imagine were not talking about the cheapest dell now.

YES, not all pc will be better but also NO, the highend pc's will far surpass the 360 or something like that.

So "nope!" is a perfectly valid answer i think. =)
Correct me all of you who own both and can compare them.
.
January 29, 2008 11:32:49 AM

rosu9801 said:
Haven't this been discussed already on this board?

The question didn't specify what pc we are talking about so i imagine were not talking about the cheapest dell now.

YES, not all pc will be better but also NO, the highend pc's will far surpass the 360 or something like that.

So "nope!" is a perfectly valid answer i think. =)
Correct me all of you who own both and can compare them.
.


Maybe is the correct answer since we don't know the pc specs.

But you could always crank the graphics up and play a slideshow with a PC, so it's a yes to the PC can make it "prettier" :p  .

ps cod4 on consoles = 600p.
January 29, 2008 11:39:19 AM

Having seen both on my 1080p LCD I can say without a doubt that the PC version looks better. COD4 on my 360 looks incredibly blurry in comparison; not surprising considering that the 360 is upscaling a <720p image to 1080p while my PC is outputting true 1080p with 4xAA.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2008 12:00:06 PM

I haven't played either console version yet (nephew has 360 version), so can't comment first hand.

ANyone know if the 360 version uses any level of Aniso or is it left out like Oblivion? Without AF it will never look as good as a decent PC IMO. Plus by 4xaa and HD, they are refering to 720P and 4xaa right? 1280x720 4xaa would be quite easy settings for current $150 and up.

And from what I have read, the console versions both run 2xaa in this game and at 1024x600p res.

LOL, ya beat me to it.
January 29, 2008 12:20:49 PM

on the xbox it uses 2xAA, don't know anything about AF settings.
January 29, 2008 12:22:25 PM

There's no doubt about it. Using a PC that can play it at 720p or above is going to going look a lot better than the Xbox. It's only 600p and when it's hooked up to a 1080p TV, it's upscaling the image, which as anyone who has watched an upscaled DVD versus 1080p Blu-ray knows the difference.

That being said, another great thing about the PC version is the ability to download new maps and mods, which really extends the life of the game considering that it' sooooooooo short and the maps are very small and linear. I'd take the PC version over the Xbox version any day of the week because of this fact, even if I only had something like a 7600GS. Just take a look at TF2. It's so much better on the PC because of all the custom maps. Xbox is stuck with the original few. The custom maps introduce a whole new level of gameplay and most make the scout a lot more playable (my favorite class.)
January 29, 2008 12:42:04 PM

We have 360s in my house and I can tell you without a doubt my computer has a better quality image. I run max settings @ 1920 X 1200. The only problem is we do not have any 1080p TVs to do a proper benchmark, but I seriously doubt they could be on par.
January 29, 2008 1:11:14 PM

Who cares, just enjoy the game. :) 
January 29, 2008 1:21:11 PM

No Tv not even current HD ones have a native resolutions equal or similar of the Widescreen Monitor. So even if it does have x2 AA it's still barely enough to keep up with the average gamers PC screen's clarity.

If you force the screen into HD mode then yes i agree it would be a fair test, but 1280x720 is what most TV's run at natively and as far as i know the bigger the TV screen the bigger the pixel's because it doesn't support higher resolutions. So therefore the x2 AA is required to have a half decent image display.

As for the graphical hardware behind the image thats different again however, most people on this forum have an ATI x1900/1950 equivalent or higher so can run CoD 4 pretty much max'ed as it is with 35+ FPS.

I've seen my m8's and they've seen mine :sarcastic:  and they definitely say they would prefer playing on my PC than on the 360.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2008 1:44:34 PM

Quote:
but 1280x720 is what most TV's run at natively

Actually most flat panel TV sets we call 720P are 1366x768 native res, so scaling occurs anyway. Front/rear Projectors are often 1280x720 native.
January 29, 2008 1:45:55 PM

closed_deal said:
No Tv not even current HD ones have a native resolutions equal or similar of the Widescreen Monitor. So even if it does have x2 AA it's still barely enough to keep up with the average gamers PC screen's clarity.

If you force the screen into HD mode then yes i agree it would be a fair test, but 1280x720 is what most TV's run at natively and as far as i know the bigger the TV screen the bigger the pixel's because it doesn't support higher resolutions. So therefore the x2 AA is required to have a half decent image display.


Full HD native resolution (generally on TV's of 42" or larger) is 1920x1080 and as long as it is 1080P, that's fully progressive. For that resolution on a monitor, you'd need at least a 24" (I believe Acer make a 24" 1900x1200 monitor), although more likely a 27" or greater. I don't know anyone who games at 24" or higher, so most don't game at a resolution close to Full HD.
Although I know the 360 can only output at 1080i, the PS3 can run 1080p can it not?
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2008 1:52:08 PM

All 24" WS LCD Monitors are 19x12 native AFAIK. And remember, In the case of COD4, as was mentioned many times above, it's a 1024x600 pixel count and scaling to 1080i or p on both the PS3 and 360.
January 29, 2008 1:53:44 PM

*edit* Damn you, Pauldh! Beat me to it. :) 

Any 24" widescreen monitor should be 1920x1200. Larger than that starts to become 2056x1600 (I think that's right).

Quote:
Although I know the 360 can only output at 1080i, the PS3 can run 1080p can it not?
Although it can output 1080i (maybe 1080p) I believe that it is all upscaling, and not true HD. Also, most games on the PS3 and XBOX only transmit in the 1280x720 resolution and are stretched or "upscaled" to fit the screen. There is a loss of quality in this conversion.

It has already been said above, but I'll repeat it. A PC that is build with the right parts / displays will always come out on top in graphic quality / performance. If you take an 8600GT and try to run COD4 at very high @ 1920x1200, of course the XBOX is going to look better. That card probably can't generate a smooth enough frame-rate at that res.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2008 1:59:10 PM

:)  That happens to me alot. You type out this big response, even look for links, submit, only to see someone tossed out a quick sentence and beat ya to it.
January 29, 2008 2:09:24 PM

Haha, yeah. >.>
January 29, 2008 2:37:33 PM

LukeBird said:
I don't know anyone who games at 24" or higher, so most don't game at a resolution close to Full HD.


See my sig i play @ 24" 1920 by 1200. So at least you know one person who does :p .
January 29, 2008 2:46:52 PM

Quote:

See my sig i play @ 24" 1920 by 1200. So at least you know one person who does :p .


<--- Same here. Although, I want to go for the 3870x2 so I can play some of my more taxing games at full res. One 640MB GTS starts to fall behind a bit in some games, but everything still looks pretty nice. (I have the same monitor as closed_deal as well. :D )
January 29, 2008 2:51:45 PM

@ rgeist554 Hehe great minds must think a-like. That damned pesky 3870 X2 had to come out just after i bought my X2 3870's. I think after my sandy trip I may try my first W/C setup then i'll show that 3870X2 what X2 3870's can do. Hehe all this X2 gubbins is starting to get confusing ;) .
January 29, 2008 3:02:00 PM

Own both, PC has the better controls and graphics, while I perfer to play online on my 360. (Cheating on the PC version is rampant)
January 29, 2008 5:00:05 PM

I definitely agree with the cheating thing Cory, but you just have to find a good server with admins, just like any other PC game. Punkbuster does suck though.
January 29, 2008 5:15:21 PM

Coming from somebody who has both xbox360 and PC... The PC definitely looks way better.
January 29, 2008 5:19:21 PM

My friend has it on Xbox, and it looks great. I have it for my computer, and it is jaw dropping. Same LCD screen. Xbox outputting 1280x1024, Computer 1680x1050
January 29, 2008 5:35:56 PM

PC>xbox360...simple as that...
January 29, 2008 6:23:28 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree with the cheating thing Cory, but you just have to find a good server with admins, just like any other PC game. Punkbuster does suck though.
Or you can join servers where the admins hack. Don't ever play any [AF] servers. Oh well... story for another thread I suppose. Sorry for the derail. :p 
January 29, 2008 6:54:20 PM

PC will alway be better that console, same old story. But Xbox is still a good machine with graphical quality for the price. Then again that cost is irrelevant when you factor the cost of a decent HD TV, especially a 1080p one.
January 29, 2008 7:34:31 PM

Even with a 1080p television, the XBOX is only going to transmit a 1280x720 (maybe 1366x768 - 1080i/720p) picture that's going to be upscaled / stretched to fit the 1900x1080 area. So you still wouldn't be getting a true HD picture. The GPU in the XBOX just isn't strong enough to render that resolution and retain a decent (non-choppy) frame-rate.
January 30, 2008 7:45:58 PM

until the xbox 360 starts using hd media (blue ray or hd dvd), they won't be able to come close to the pc....just not enough space on those dvds...
January 30, 2008 8:43:59 PM

ahslan said:
until the xbox 360 starts using hd media (blue ray or hd dvd), they won't be able to come close to the pc....just not enough space on those dvds...

The PCs will continue to advance (at everything) while X360 is still basically the same. That Xbox is already left in the dust.
At least until the new generation of high-end consoles.

Any news on a PS-4 or Xbox-3 ?
January 30, 2008 8:50:11 PM

ahslan said:
until the xbox 360 starts using hd media (blue ray or hd dvd), they won't be able to come close to the pc....just not enough space on those dvds...


This is a highly ignorant statement that has no facts to back it up.
January 30, 2008 8:50:14 PM

I have reserved the name: "Xbox 1080". The 1080 is a multiple of 360 and it could stand for Hi-Def. Prawned. /flex

Quote:
This is a highly ignorant statement that has no facts to back it up.


I think it would be better stated as so: Until the Xbox start using Hi-Def media and stronger hardware, then it will continue to be outperformed by a decently build PC.
January 30, 2008 9:01:37 PM


Lets just drop the whole "HD" marketing phrase. And instead consider native resolution in conjunction with things like dot pitch, pixel size and refresh rates. (Remember that 1080i is interlaced, so the effective refresh rate is decreased by half)

On a 24" screen, the actual pixel is much smaller in size than the pixels on a 42" 1080p screen, and they are much closer together. Those facts alone will produce a more crisp and vivid image.

The PC version of COD4 has higher quality textures, better Shader Effects, better Hardware T&L, Antistropic Filtering, better particle and physics capabilites, and higher FSAA values.

So the PC version is capable of displaying a better quality picture than an XBOX360.

We could debate computer specific cases all day, but that isnt the question.

So COD4 is capable of looking better on a PC than on an XBOX 360.

End of thread.
January 31, 2008 1:33:11 AM

starcraftfanatic said:
No, This is the end.



Ok, ill allow it.

:heink: 
January 31, 2008 2:08:02 AM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
Any 24" widescreen monitor should be 1920x1200. Larger than that starts to become 2056x1600 (I think that's right).
Quote:


24" & 27" monitors are standard 1920x1200. (2,304,000 pixels)
30" monitors are 2560x1600. (4,096,000 pixels)
January 31, 2008 2:51:35 PM

Can Not said:
This is a highly ignorant statement that has no facts to back it up.

...idk wtf ur talking bout...not being able to use "hi-def" media contributes to the hardware limitations that the xbox360 suffers from...you sir, are the one with the "highly ignorant" statement...
January 31, 2008 2:59:38 PM

Quote:
24" & 27" monitors are standard 1920x1200. (2,304,000 pixels)
30" monitors are 2560x1600. (4,096,000 pixels)
Thanks for clearing that up.
January 31, 2008 3:28:02 PM

ahslan said:
...idk wtf ur talking bout...not being able to use "hi-def" media contributes to the hardware limitations that the xbox360 suffers from...you sir, are the one with the "highly ignorant" statement...



If I may, the PC version of COD4 comes on a standard DVD disc, yet does not appear to have problems providing high quality textures and content.

Heck even Crysis fits on a DVD, and we all know that it doesnt suffer from a lack of "HDness"
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 3:33:55 PM

rallyimprezive said:
If I may, the PC version of COD4 comes on a standard DVD disc, yet does not appear to have problems providing high quality textures and content.

Heck even Crysis fits on a DVD, and we all know that it doesnt suffer from a lack of "HDness"

Yeah, but that's preinstalled/compressed. You can't pop a crysis DVD into your system and just play. :)  You need 12GB free HDD space to install crysis. Over 8GB for COD4 and Bioshock.
January 31, 2008 3:37:04 PM

pauldh said:
Yeah, but that's preinstalled/compressed. You can't pop a crysis DVD into your system and just play. :)  You need 12GB free HDD space to install crysis. Over 8GB for COD4 and Bioshock.

Hmm, I've never really thought of it like that. Excellent point.
January 31, 2008 3:45:22 PM

The problem with online pc gaming is not the rampant cheating its the rampant accusation of cheating. Whenever people get their ass kicked they'll call the other person a hacker instead of admitting that someone is better.
January 31, 2008 3:53:04 PM

pauldh said:
Yeah, but that's preinstalled/compressed. You can't pop a crysis DVD into your system and just play. :)  You need 12GB free HDD space to install crysis. Over 8GB for COD4 and Bioshock.



You are so right, I didnt think about that. (Hence the really looong install times.)

As homerdog stated, excellent point. :D 
January 31, 2008 3:58:11 PM

San Pedro said:
The problem with online pc gaming is not the rampant cheating its the rampant accusation of cheating. Whenever people get their ass kicked they'll call the other person a hacker instead of admitting that someone is better.



anyone that is better than me must be cheating, thats all there is to it....

jokes aside, is PunkBuster really that easy to get around? If so, im bummed, I like thinking that people dont cheat.
January 31, 2008 4:36:02 PM

Soldier, is it really necessary to show a pic of your computer every time you post
January 31, 2008 4:57:34 PM

vip3569 said:
Soldier, is it really necessary to show a pic of your computer every time you post



Oh be nice, maybe that is all he's got going for him.
January 31, 2008 4:59:55 PM

Quote:
Soldier, is it really necessary to show a pic of your computer every time you post


My rig:


I just added some LED's to the top of the keyboard though.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!