g0 Q6600 3.15ghz stable on very high voltages only help

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Hi there,

I have got my Q6600 overclocked to 3.15ghz and found that most people have managed to do this on 1.26V. Problem is I can only do it on 1.43 and the processor gets very hot.

I am using DDR3 ram and it is stable up to 1400mhz with memtest86+ ran over night. I have clocked everything down to try and find the problem but even at ~800fsb it is clear the problem is with the CPU.

At the moment my cpu voltage is hovering between 1.26 and 1.28 with everything else default but 2 cores have failed within 30 mins on prime95. There is also seems to be quite a bit of Vdroop as this is with the voltage set at 1.350 in the bios.

My specs are as follows; 2GB supertalent Ram, q6600 G0, Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R running latest bios off a 600w Zalman PSU.

Please help!

Thanks

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
'very hot' leads onto another problem, I don't believe the temperature sensors and really have no clue what the temperature is because it changes by as much as 15'C in an instant from starting or haulting a stress test. The individual core temperatures vary by as much as 7'C and sometimes reach as high as 80'C when it clearly isn't really that hot and 'cpu temp' is ~20'C lower..

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
You likely need a better CPU cooler. The hotter the CPU gets the more voltage it needs to run stably- the more voltage it receives the hotter it gets...

It’s a vicious cycle.

It’s like that old saying: the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
The cpu temp which seems accurate atleast compared to the core temps reads about 68'C with a load which seems normal and from touching the copper base it seems about that - I'm using an Arctic 7 cooler so it should be capable for under 3.2ghz

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Sounds like my Q6600. I can only get mine up to 3.2 GHz stable, and it needs 1.425 V to be stable. Temps aren't too bad though, then again I have a Zalman 9700 sitting on mine.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I just applied new thermal paste and cpu temp is now 44'C on full load but core temps remain at 60-67'C per core, the heatsink barely feels warm to touch can anyone explain this?

1. The P35C chipset is known not to OC very well.

2. Download RealTemp to monitor your temps (you can also test the sensors).

3. List VID (use RealTemp/CoreTemp).

4. What HSF are you running? And what is your ambient temp?

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I have already been using Real Temp, some of the sensors are near the limit (14) with a max difference of 4, does this mean that they are useless and something it wrong with my board?

My VID is 1.3250 which i realise isn't the best.

My cooler the Arctic 7 pro.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
::Chuckles when he reads the conversation.::

1.3250, like all the rest!

Hey, did you test your VDroop and vdrop? Maybe that is why you need a higher voltage. It's pretty easy to do. If you know exactly what your processor voltage is in the Bios, list that here, and then while doing nothing in windows, open CPUz and look at the core voltage. List that here too, and then last off, run prime 95 small ffts test on all cores and after 1 minute, list the now lower value in CPUz as the test is running.

If you dont know the exact value in the Bios, make sure you look first, and while you are in there, make sure Speed step, EIST and C1E are all disabled.

And no, prolly nothing wrong with the board. Maybe the Bios is incorrectly translating the info? Did you calibrate real temp? You can always pull the heat sink off and check to see how well it was mounted. Easiest way is to clean em both off. Apply paste to the CPU, nice thin layer over the whole thing, and then set the cooler on it, give it a little wiggle and mount it as usual, wait 30 seconds and take it off.

Then all you have to do is look at the heat sink, and you can tell how well its making contact! Maybe you will get a chip like I have! The best q6600 VID 1.2000, and it came where 30% touched the heat sink, because the Integrated Heat Sink on the processor was totally slanted. I had to remove via lapping half the IHS, and now 90% can touch the heat sink, however, I was scared to remove any more, because I have no clue how thick those IHS's are!

Scopith forth!

antsandjunk005.jpg

antsandjunk004.jpg

Hehe, and BTW, that's how easy it is to tell with the paste test. You can see the area very easily that STILL doesnt contact my TRUE.

Nuts, huh?

Damn intel, but at stock, like it was supposed to run, the temps were like under 20c and farther, because of the low VID.

--Lupi