Sign in with
Your question

File Recovery (MFT Error)

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2009 9:22:54 AM

All my files have disappeared off my HDD, so I got out GetDataBack and found out that the problem was probably with the MFT.

This holds all my file structure but I really don't want to get each file back one by one onto another HDD . . .

So I tryed to recover the MFT using TestDisk but that didn't work. How can I fix my MFT?
January 30, 2009 3:30:34 PM

Depending on how much the data is worth to you, I have had very good luck in mailing out drives to recovery companies.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 30, 2009 5:32:35 PM

If you use Windows, you can use the recovery console and try to fix it. I think the command is FIXMFT or something.
January 30, 2009 6:40:56 PM

command is fixmbr, or fdisk /mbr.
a b G Storage
January 30, 2009 7:16:40 PM

Did you try chkdsk /f ?
a b G Storage
January 30, 2009 7:17:28 PM

Fdisk /mbr will not work in this situation as it rewrites the Master Boot Record, not the Mater File Table.
January 27, 2010 9:08:55 AM

I prefer Advanced File Recovery. It supports all Windows-related file systems and can work directly with different media types: hard drives, memory sticks, digital camera memory cards etc.
October 1, 2012 2:54:55 PM

During the partition resizing I had power cut-off when my UPS did not word. Now, I didnt touch the partition anyway. But I can see my each and every files by the command hexedit and search. I can see all my files as well as directory entry. Can anyone tell me how to recover that master file table?

The partition was at the position on my 2nd logical entry of NTFS type.
October 1, 2012 2:55:26 PM

During the partition resizing I had power cut-off when my UPS did not word. Now, I didnt touch the partition anyway. But I can see my each and every files by the command hexedit and search. I can see all my files as well as directory entry. Can anyone tell me how to recover that master file table?

October 1, 2012 2:56:32 PM

!