DFI Blood-Iron P35-T2RL mobo
Antec NeoHE 500W PSU (modular)
E2160 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
Cooler Master Hyper TX CPU cooler
2 GB ADATA DDR2-800RAM (CAS 4)
HIS Ice3 something HD 3850 512MB
2 IDE HDD's - total capacity = 200GB
1 SATA DVD/CDROM Drive

How much could I sell this for? More than I bought it for ($700)?

mohikangamer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
start bid $900 on ebay, and mention is a gaming system, and cpu is OC. Im sure a non experience computer user will buy it. I once sold Intel in sli configuration system for $2000 on ebay when originally build it for $1250. Started bid at $1700 and people started biding and biding until it went up to $2000.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

That's pretty disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself pulling off people like that. But worse you advertise here in this forums to do so. I suggest you leave in shame and never come back here... :fou:

mohikangamer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

Thats my hobby, building pc and selling it at ebay. I dont think you want to sell a brand new build computer for same price originally cost or less, you want to make money out of it right? if not, you are total idiot! you are not making money. You got to be smart. so, people get really rip off at best buy or circuit city even worse. A $1200 computer with no video card just integrated graphics from best buy will be $650 if you build it your self, and $850 with mid-range video card. Overall, homebuilt computer is faster,better quality hardware, and way cheaper than a $1200 computer from best buy. Cmon, best buy add slow 5300 ddr2 memory sticks, and no video card and sound card, for over $1,000. thats really a rip off. I just sell gaming pc at ebay at a price alienware, bestbuy, circuit city, frys, will sell it with the same specs.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
lol... hey, if it gets sold, it gets sold :p. better doing that than selling some P4 2.8 w/ 6600gt as "the world's fastest gaming system"... i have a system barely better than that atm, and i'm not even going to bother with crysis, so why should anyone else with those specs???

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
You need to make money from building it "putting it together" I totally agree with that. I have thought about it alot my self to be honest. Like that dude said Alien ware taxes for their shiznit and Falcon taxes way more still. I feel that if we have a gift for knowing how to put together a good pc just like the big companies out there that do it on assembly lines for way cheaper then what we can then why shouldn't we be able to charge the same amount. We are actually going to pull less in then what they do...,.

neocortex

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
i have to agree with mohikangamer...i also do the same, build gaming computers and sell them right away.
i mean, indeed if you dont make profit out of it then why the hell are you in it?!
and its not like we are cheating or fooling people, but lots of users wants the best gaming or video editing computer out there, but have got no friggin idea how to build one. so the $300 or $400 profit we make in selling that computer is more like an assembly cost.
in the end, if i dont make a profit in a new computer i just built, why the hell am i selling it?

That's the fun thing about auctions, like eBay. You may lose some of the time, and you may win big some of the time. There is nothing in the world wrong with making a little money. People would not bid on it if they didn't know what it was, and who they were getting it from, and had the money to spend. What's the big deal? He got a nice profit, and somewhere someone has a new PC they are happy with.

If someone overbids on something, hell for that matter if anyone buys something that is way overpriced, it's there own stupid fault.

mohikangamer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Totally agree! thats how i see it. What ever profit i make, i see it as assembly, OS optimization, and 24 hour stability test cost. Clients are very satisfy with my prices, they often say to me "the computer i purchase from you can play all my games at very high settings, and my friend recently he purchase pc from best buy at same price, and he cant even play games at mid setting at 1280x1024. Im very satisfy with my computer, is very powerful, and best buy dont even sell powerful gaming machines with good video card for this cheap price" I sold this system to this person for $1300 and originaly cost $805 to build (thats a $500 dollar profit) with (250gb,Patriot 2gb Lat:4, GA-p35 motherboard,550w ps,dvd rw, 8800 gt 512, E6750, cool master centurion case).

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Interesting topic. I was trying to sell the following for $950:
AMD X2 6000
500GB SATA WD5000AAKS
2GB DDR2 800 RAM
EVGA 8800GT
Nvidia Nforce 590 mobo
500W PS
SATA DVD-RW
Logitech wireless multimedia keyboard + wireless laser mouse
Vista Business
MS Office 2007
Nero 7
Plus a dozen of hot games
Nobody wanted it

mohikangamer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
the best way to make profit out a gaming system, is to sell Intel platform gaming system, everybody wants intel and the 8800 gt.Nobody will buy an amd gaming system, cause we all know its slow. Get a blue ray player for about 220 and tv tuner and sell your amd system for $1400 or $1500 as a HTPC, and people will buy it.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Back to Wolfseeker's original question, I would say that You could probably get $700 for it. Depends on who you sell it to. If you go the ebay route, just set a minimun sale price. You will probably have the best chance of getting the most for it there. I have never sold anything that way but I see stuff go for more than it's worth all the time. You just have to find the right market. It's hard to find a pre-built rig with a 3850 for less than $1000. If you go the ebay route, I wouldn't just mention what the processor is overclocked to but what the original clock speed is too.

On a side note to everyone else, I work at Aaron's Sales and Leasing. Every day we sell Dell computers for $1000 cash or $99.99/mo for 12 months. Here are the specs

Dell mini atx tower
Dell mobo with integrated graphics
Sempron 3400+
100 GB Harddrive
1GB or Ram
Dvd burner
Memory card reader
Vista Home Basic
19" widescreen monitor
wired mouse and keyboard
speakers

This computer is worth far less than that.

Our "Gaming" computer sells for $2499 and consists of the following
Dell Mid tower case
Dell Motherboard
core 2 duo e4400
2 GB Memory
320 GB Hard drive
Geforce 7300LE - pitiful
ati tv tuner card
dvd drive
dvd burner
memory card reader
vista home premium
19" widescreen monitor
wired mouse and keyboard
speakers

I really do feel bad pawning this off as a gaming computer. I usually try to sell it under the HTPC genre instead. Although, to the average user, games consiste of solitare, and poker with the occasional WoW player. Even WoW has really low requirements and the second computer we have plays that game great.

You just have to find the right buyer to get the right price :)
The key is selling it to a non computer geek. People here other people talk about certain specs and they have no idea what it means. I have people come in all the time and ask if a computer has 1 MB. Thats all they want to know (They mean 1GB of memory). If it does then they are sold on the product. They don't even know/ask about the sempron processor. I then explain that it is 1GB and what memory is used for and then tell them what the computer actually has.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

if u hate what he does u must really hate alienware or dell and other gaming pc manufacturers. I looked at the alienware site and $1700 for a q6600 + 8800gt + 2gb + 250gb hdd + no monitor! For the amd side if u want to upgrade to a x2 6400 from a x2 5200 then u gotta pay $300 extra! At least a $1250 gaming pc sold at $1700 is ALOT better then the alienware i mentioned. As for wolfseekers maybe he could write on ebay "gaming/entertainment pc for the college student" and try to sell it around $500-$700, id buy it. Or u can go to best buy or an electronic shop. Go up to those newb pc buyers give them advice on what pc to buy from the dozen there, then try to pull a fast 1 on them by saying i got a deal for u!