Sign in with
Your question

Tomshardware New Baby Born

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2008 5:41:00 AM

I've finally assembled my PC after weeks of researching and asking for help in this forum. I thought it is important to let you guys know that the experience was fun and successful. Without you I wouldn't have managed to optomize my system and create the system that I want. I'm very satisfied with my system thanks to you guys.

1. GIGABYTE P35 DS3L
2. E6750
3. 2 x2GB OCZ Reaper 6400 RAM 800mhz
4. EVGA 8800 GTS 512mb
5. GIGABITE AURORA case
6. 2x 500mb WD 7200 SATA HD 16mb cache
7. SATA DVD Samsung
8. 22" LG flatron wide LCD monitor
9. XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Platinum Sound Card
10. Corsair HX620w PSU

As you know the first thing I did after installing the OS and Drivers is to install Crysis. I've set it to 1600x???? resolution and everything set to High and 2x AA. Perfect, no hitch nothing. Smooth game play, amazing performance. I didn't check the FPS but I know it is far above 30fps.

I didn't check the temperature of the CPU and VGA because I don't have a software that checks that(I believe a software that comes with the motherboard that does this?).

This post is just to show what a Tomshardware forum poster can benefit from getting help here and to celebrate the new born baby. I also want to know if you guys recommend anything like specific kind of software to watch temp or something and if I need to adjust the BIOS because honestly I didn't touch it except for very few parts.

More about : tomshardware baby born

January 23, 2008 5:58:02 AM

Congrats on your new build!

Your mobo can tell you your temps, but only during boot up so you're unable to see the temperatures during peak usage. I use a program called PC Wizard for temps which can be found at www.cpuid.com I hope it helps you out
January 23, 2008 7:40:43 AM

Thanks AwsmGy, I will check that program out.

What's the best way to test my system's performance by the way?

Related resources
January 23, 2008 8:41:14 AM

Congrats yabyab :) 

Another program you can use for temps is SpeedFan..is decent at least..and free :) 

Checking performace well...there are alot of benchmark tools out there :) 

heres a few:
PcMark 05/06
Sandra
SuperPi
Also there are alot of random Benchmarks from actual games..aka Lost Planet/world in conflict etc etc
To check stability:
Orthos
Prime95

Those are your best bets (at least in my opinion ;)  )
Cheers and enjoy the toy :) 
January 23, 2008 9:18:42 AM

Good choice on the mobo. I have the same one and it OC's like a dream!
January 23, 2008 10:06:40 AM

You can also go in the bios and see the temperatures and the speed of the fans, usually under Hardware monitor.
January 23, 2008 10:45:25 AM

CPUID's HWMontior works very well for me, leave it in the background of say 3DMark06 and it's tell you exactly what the maximum temp and voltage draw was from almost every item in your PC:

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
January 23, 2008 12:49:50 PM

my ASUS Wireless deluxe comes with PC probe II and it is also an OC dream. Let us know what your temps are when you get the soft ware.
January 23, 2008 1:32:02 PM

Enjoy your build, congrats. How much $$$ did you spend?
January 23, 2008 2:16:04 PM

Your component choices are excellent. That is a well thought through system.
January 24, 2008 5:06:02 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. I wanted to share the success with everyone else and give as much info as possible for new builders to tell them of how well things goes with these components if anyone is considering having the same build.

I can not exactly estimate the cost of my system since some parts I ordered them in international shipping which costs me a lot. The international shipping alone was around $200 but I did save money in comparison of the regional prices here. I think the over all price is something around $1700-$1900 shipping included.

Once I get home I will have my system benchmarked and list all the figures regarding fan, temperature, performance.

By the way, I read in the motherboard manual there's a Extreme Recovery 2 program that backs up my system. How do I use that? does it save a copy of my bootable system in another drive? Is this feature designed to help if a bootable system get damaged you'd have a backup (recovery disc) saved in your secondary hard drive?

!