100% Stable Yet No Post ?

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Hi there,

I've just spent £650 on new computer parts and have built many computers in the past however this system poses a strange problem. The system consists of a q6600 with asus P5KC mobo and Supertalent DDR3 memory with branded 650w Zalman PSU all of which are brand new. The system is stable at an overclock of 3.15 ghz with ram at 1.4ghz on stock voltages with ram (memtest86+) and cpu test (prime 95) both running for over 14 hours with no problems.

However even at stock settings it will often refuse to post and present the message 'overclock failed' when at these stock settings! I am thinking either incompatable ram or a faulty mobo?
The mobo seems to exhibit some odd behaviour, firstly the cpu voltage simple doesn't change and stays at 1.25 when set anything between 1.3-1.55 volts, also when turning on the computer it will instantly turn off, before turning back on by itself about 5 seconds later! (when it posts)

Advise would be greatly appreciated as I am not to far off the ebuyer 30 day warranty.

Well I can tell ya one thing. the CPU voltage is way too high. The Q6600 should have a stock voltage set at 1.25v. What I would suggest is if you have another computer check the BIOS updates at Asus website and make sure yours does fully support the Q6600 as and older BIOS may not.

Might want to return the Mobo and get another one. Or change it for a P5K-E as that one is a good one too.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Sorry, made a mistake there correct voltages in original post.
Does it sound like a faulty mobo then or could it be incompatable ram
The mobo has full support for the whole intel range and native support up to 1333mhz DRAM

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I don't actually have any other DDR3 to try in place of the current ram. Does anyone know why the cpu voltages don't change as the should when set, does this show straight away there is something wrong with the mobo as I've never seen it stay the same berore? Just tried clearing CMOS again with ram settings and still it didn't turn on.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Actually it sounds to me like the power supply... I've seen systems (And my own at some point when I didn't have a reliable unit), that when not getting enough power they have to go through 2 or 3 power cycles before the system would boot. This was solved after I used a decent power supply.

Zalman units are not the WORST, but do not be confused, because they do not live anywhere near close the expectations of what you would expect from a zalman product considering their reputation on other areas. Try with another power supply, decent one while you're at it and try unplugging most unnecessary things see if it solves your booting problem.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Just tried a different 700 Antec watt PSU and STILL it didn't boot at stock settings with the above entered manually, something is up here.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hard to say what is exactly going on.. but:

1.) The vcore changes because of C1E (part of speedstep) You will see fluctuations within windows, as low as 1,.119 to 1.325. With it disabled, it should stay at a more constant voltage.

2,) As far as the Bios saying "Over Clock Failed" that could be a number of things, as well as it being tied for the off/on Post.

Since I don't have that MB, I can't really say whan options you have that are causing it to behave like that. You should recheck all the bios settings, even perhaps change the CMOS battery, if its not saving changes. All in all, if you believe its the MB, and get a replacement, there is a good chance that the same thing will happen.

As usual, the best way to TS a system, is to have it out of the case on card board, with none of the Case wires hooked up.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I already have speedstep disabled but still the voltages don't change.
I also have everything except the essentials unplugged, ie hard drive etc.
I have tested the bios battery and all the rails with a multimeter and they are all healthy.
What are the chances if it being incompatable ram although I don't think it would cause the intermittant posting?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmmm... are you sure you turned off C1E?

On my system (650i) I do have separate sections, and C1E is hidden, so on that submenu I have to hit F4 to make it appear. EIST is in a different submenu, which I see with it not being hidden, and once that is disabled, I can change the multi for it to stay at.

Really hard to say if the memory is exactly the problem. Can you find the memory that Asus has tested on that MB, and if the list includes the brand your using? I kinda dread looking through Asus anymore cause the website soooo slow. :lol:

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Hi there,
C1E and Speedstep are both set to disabled yet the voltage still doesn't change or doesn't go above 1.25. At 1.5 it reads 1.20, and 1.23 at 1.3. Only on 'auto' settings does it reach as high as 1.5.
The memory Supertalent isn't listed in the list of compatable modules but it is a pretty good brand though less well known.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Whelp.. the only thing I can perhaps mention, I did read somewhere that particular memory modules can cause the Q6600 not run very well, or even basically boot up properly when you use DDR3 memory. I can't remember where, but basically you need to try to run it at DDR2 (800) speeds unfortunately, or try to match a 1:1 ratio (533) since its a 1066 FSB rated CPU. So that just stock wise. In OC, I would imagine the same would apply as far as running it 1:1 ratio, rather then the advertised speed for DDR3.

Though.. I could be wrong. Too tired to find what I read a long while back.. :oops:

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I did a search for imcompatability between my ram and asus motherboards but wasn't about to find anything. Does anyone else have any ideas or I think i'll just rma the board. I also just ran the DRAM at 800mhz and still it didn't boot.

Do you get the problems when you don't overclock?
Usually memory is the first thing to look at, but it could any number of things.
You do realise that overclocking is a duck shoot. Sometimes you get great results, sometimes you don't. Not every CPU will overclock with the same results.
I would have bought an ASUS board as my very last choice. <Just my opinion here, don't like them at all.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, I get these problems with no overclock, that is the issue.
I think you could do alot worse than an Asus board personally.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
UPDATE: A friend has just built a computer with amost identical parts, ie same motherboard and cpu etc and has exactly the same problem, no boot on stock settings with ram settings etc set manually. Please help!

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Just say it... "It's the power supply". Four little words. And so liberating. "It's the power supply". 'and daddy, you and mommy are getting back together right?' . . .
your cpu is no virgin any more. the MOS gates are wider. It simply needs moar voltage to operate properly.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol:. o O (gawd)

Identical parts, eh? Try using regular DDR2 memory. I'm pretty much convinced the MB doesn't like running DDR3 with a 1066 FSB rated CPU. It just sounds like it can't find a suited range or ratio to set it to.

For better results you should try Asus forums for your mobo. They have a forum dedicated to your specific mobo and I have heard of the "overclocking failed" thingy before. Best bet is to check there and see what they asay.

matt09

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Found the problem at last! Digging deep for some reviews reveals that this board is terrible for high DRAM speeds and has a bad memory controller. Thanks for all the help