Sign in with
Your question

How do I get into cmos autodetect to turn it on?

Last response: in Windows XP
June 23, 2010 1:58:28 PM

Trying to replace a secondary (non-boot) SATA 400 GB drive with another (1TB), system hangs on boot. Both are Seagate drives. Troubleshoot advice says turn on autodetect in CMOS, but how do I do that?

More about : cmos autodetect turn

June 23, 2010 3:42:19 PM

You may have some boot files on your secondary drive.

Remove the old drive, put in the new.

Boot off the XP disc.

Use the first R option to access the repair console.

The admin password is blank by default, so just hit enter when prompted.

At the command line run the following commands:
fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

After that, boot back into the BIOS. Make sure the correct hard drive is set as the first boot device, and exit.

Restart, and try booting into windows.

For the new hard drive, you'll need to go into disk management, format it, and assign a drive letter.
m
l
June 23, 2010 3:56:49 PM

Thanks for a quick reply, but I cannot boot the computer with the new drive plugged in. It hangs at the Gateway Splash Screen. No way to run anything. Can't even get up in safe mode.
What I did do though was to remove the drive, boot the system, plug in the drive, format/partition it, copy a few files to it, etc to prove it was working.
But then on reboot - the same exact hang. Again I can unplug the drive, boot, replug-in the drive and work on it but that seems a bit unnecessary.

aford10 said:
You may have some boot files on your secondary drive.

Remove the old drive, put in the new.

Boot off the XP disc.

Use the first R option to access the repair console.

The admin password is blank by default, so just hit enter when prompted.

At the command line run the following commands:
fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg /rebuild

After that, boot back into the BIOS. Make sure the correct hard drive is set as the first boot device, and exit.

Restart, and try booting into windows.

For the new hard drive, you'll need to go into disk management, format it, and assign a drive letter.

m
l
Related resources
June 23, 2010 4:10:28 PM

Check the hard drive priority, and boot device priority in the BIOS. If they are both connected at the same time, your new drive may be jumping ahead of the current boot drive.

Look at the motherboard SATA ports. This may happen if the new hard drive is plugged into a lower numbered SATA port. I try to always plug my main drive into SATA_0.
m
l
January 18, 2013 5:09:02 AM

It works if you only have one or the other plugged in your power supply may not be able to handle the extra load. How many watts is it.
m
l
!