larry20082

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
hi i need some suggestions on new build for friend .he doesn't game but does photo editing need suggestions on cpu,memory,video card.i was thinking Q6600 and 2G of DDR2-800 ram and nvidia 8600gt .is this enough memory ? any suggestions appreciated

tlmck

Distinguished
If you want to do high end professional type stuff, then CS3 and Final Cut Pro are the standards. They are also 64 bit compatible as I understand it.

If it is just home movie, or You Tube type stuff, then Windows Movie Maker for free, or Sony Vegas, and a few other sub $100 packages will be fine. For these programs, you can actually get by pretty well with 2gb ram and a Core2Duo.

I use Windows Movie Maker to edit and encode to .avi. I then use Cyber Link Power Producer to burn to DVD. I have yet another free program called Avidemux that I use to convert formats. It does other stuff as well, but is a bit too involved for my taste.

With SP1 coming out soon, 64 bit Vista might be a good option. Just check for drivers an whatever hardware and peripherals you wind up with.