A disk read error has occured, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart.

kenichi

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
So basically every time I start up my computer I get a "A disk read error has occured, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" error. I have already tried using the Windows XP Reinstall CD to repair, but when I use a command like CHKDSK I get a "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" error. When I try FIXBOOT I get a "Failed to open Partition" problem.

Is it a problem with my HD?

IF so, is there any way I can save the data that is on it?

Thank you for your help.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
By the sound of it your partition table is corrupt, there are various recovery programs available, the one I have used with some degree of success is TestDisk which is included with PartedMagic.

kenichi

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I just tested it with multiple programs (I actually got it to start up once!) and it said there was no bad sectors and everything was fine.

Any other suggestions?

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
get a copy of gibson research's Spinrite.

That way you can at least exclude it being a hard disk error (which I think it is, bad sectors)

xbrainer

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I just got my new I7 system and i am having this same problem. I am using a WD Black 640GB and get this same error anytime the comp is abnormally shutdown such a random freeze or blue screen. Ive tried everything and even reformatted and re-installed Vista still get the error after some time. The only thing i can think to do would be to buy another hard drive.