Q6600 on air

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Anywhere around 3.6 Ghz. Little more with some lapping and such!

Of course your VID will really determine how far you will be over clocking. Get a high VID and you get the temps associated with higher voltage, for free! :)

Try and get an OEM chip if you can.

Good luck!

--Lupi

wajeeh

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
My video card is the PNY 9800 GX2, and i am not really sure if i should overclock right now because my cpu temps are already high at stock (cpu1 49C - cpu2 48C- cpu3 47C - cpu4 46C) with the CM Sphere (heat sync). I think i should buy a new heat sync. A good one but not that expensive.

And my video card is at 67C and 70C.

And the mobo is at 33C (NVIDIA 780i)

I have 2 exhaust fans one at the back and one at the top.

2 intake on the bottom

1 intake at the front

and one huge armor plus side fan intake (Seems to spin really slow)

And my temps are still too high

Case thermaltake armor plus VH600

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Oh yeah. First I would check to make sure your cooler is on. It's not the best, but I actually have one here on my AMD Phenom system, and after modding it to actually sit on the processor right, it gets low 20 idles, and 35 load.

Could be that AMD runc cold, but I think it's the way I mounted it.

Cheap cooler! Xigmatek 1283! Make sure you KNOW how to mount it before you go off and mount it, hehe! But once it's on right, can't be beat for the price!

On my 1.2500 VID q6600 right now that I am on, 3510 Mhz @ 1.36, 1.34 loaded nets low 30's idle, sometimes in the 20s on some cores, and 57c loaded with fan on low. 55c max with fan on high.

That isn't bad for 30ish bucks!!

--Lupi

wajeeh

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
i think i mounted my heat sync on correctly, can you post a pic or 2 so i can see the way you did it?

TheDJ08

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Lupiron I also have the Xigmatek s1283 and right now at 3.0GHZ idle for me is low 40's - and mid-high 50's when load.

I re-seated it today and still the same - what GHZ are you running at?

I have 2 video cards crossfired together (they both run at 50C) and I have the NZXT Temptest case.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You re seated it today... as in, the right way? With the middle heat pipe running along the length of the cores, and you applied the paste in a tiny line down each of the the three heat pipes?

Mine is on right now, idle at 34/34/30/29 at 3.510 Ghz and 1.36 volts, idle.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j298/ericeod/sidebysidecomp.jpg

Use that, and the middle heat pipe goes right down that line!

Combined with a thin but not puny little line of paste down the pipes? Good performance!

Good Luck!

--Lupi

TheDJ08

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I am pretty sure I put it on right - I put the paste on the processor but not the three heat pipes. Once you seat it on the processor it should go onto the three heat pipes right? To much paste is not good.

I am at 3.1 GHZ and 1.264 volts and idle is 39-42-36-38 - maybe you have better cooling in your system?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You have to yank it off to look and get the insert pin location to know what way it;s loaded in your boards socket.

The past on the three pipes only is to prevent any paste from being under the spacers between the pipes, which are known to touch the IHS sooner than the pipe. Every little bit counts.

Trust me, you are not alone in this.

As far as having better cooling. Not really. Thats with the fan on low, and no case fans, hehe.

The first 10 times I put this heat sink on I wanted to laugh at all the morons who said this heat sink performed anywhere near the TRUE.

After the 10th time, I realized I wanted to laugh at the morons who designed it! However, once it is on right, more than likely you custom mount it it yer self, it's good to go! And does indeed get near TRUE like performance.

At half the price.

--Lupi

TheDJ08

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I placed in different directions, but no real difference, think it is just the way my temp is. It is also summer here so it could have something to do w/ it.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Heheh, thats what I have my Q6700 runnin' at! 415 x 9 hehehe! 3738 @ 1.36 loaded. Thats 1.4xxx in the bios on these NVidia garbage boards.

1.2250 VID, hehehe! That is one thing the low VIDs excel at! Low voltage semi-highish over clocks, so that means it can kind of compensate for NVidias sucky vdrop and droop.

It is just hard to get the Xiggies on right. Lots of people have problems with it. I did at first, took me ten shots to get it on right!!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Normal doesn't mean anything when it comes to vdrop and droop, it appears. I would assume they do what they think would work best on their boards.

However, NVidia is normally like that and worse. Imagine my surprise when stock still worked at 1.05 loaded. I thought it would bomb out. But then again, the best VID, which I have, 1.2000 supposedly the voltage range is .95 v to 1.5, So I guess it can get lower than that! But .150 vdrop and droop was enough for me! Luckily the Load Line calibration limited it to a Vdrop of .72-76 and a vdroop of 0.

So basically your vdrop. :) A little worse.

Does it have load line calibration? If not, then I think I remember seeing the Voltage mods for that board. Common type.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
What does it do to vdroop? (When runnin' small ffts on all cores.)

But yeah, it can be normal. It sucks for over clocking, of course, but thats how it goes, lemme find the mods...

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

Cool thx man, I'll give it a read

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Nope! It's just a B3, the old revision is all. They are known to be a little hotter, need more voltage, and OC a little worse. But you can still OC just fine on it. I had my B3 1.3125, second worse!! Up to around 3.6, its just hot and wild!

:)

That is the Middle VID exactly. Range is from 1.2000 to 1.3250. Obviously the lower the cooler, and the less voltage it will need for a certain speed. So your B3 is certainly better than mine!

I dunno about BIGGER, but better, sure!

Hehehe!

--Lupi

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Haha Lupi, it's late here in Boston, and I'm getting a little punchy, lol

I thought you were telling me my stuff was dieing.

Ya I bought it last summer when the first price drops hit. At that time you had to be lucky to get a "GO" stepping chip and I didn't, what can you do...