Sign in with
Your question

How to take ownership of fat32 files

Last response: in Windows XP
June 23, 2010 4:53:21 PM

Hello,
old hard drive taken from a windows 98 computer formatted in fat32 and transfered to a new windows xp pro computer can't take ownership of old files because the security tab does not show on the fat32 drive any suggestions?

More about : ownership fat32 files

Anonymous
June 23, 2010 5:01:39 PM

There is no such thing as "ownership" on a FAT32 file system.
June 24, 2010 6:10:52 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as "ownership" on a FAT32 file system.

thats right but the xp os won't let me open the files because the old 98 os had a different admin name
and so doesn't recognise the new admin as the owner of the files .what i'm wondering is:- is there any way round this.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 25, 2010 11:29:54 AM

There IS NO SECURITY on a FAT32 File System.
June 25, 2010 6:34:30 PM

Post the exact error you get when you try to open a file off the old drive. Can you copy them to the new drive, or do you get the same error?
June 25, 2010 7:41:08 PM

Quote:
There IS NO SECURITY on a FAT32 File System.

are you actually reading my reply.I KNOW THIS, but it won't let me open the files because the admin names were different.
June 25, 2010 7:44:17 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Post the exact error you get when you try to open a file off the old drive. Can you copy them to the new drive, or do you get the same error?

I'll try to get the exact wording of the error but may take a couple of days as its my fathers comp.I'll try it again when i'm next there thx.won't let me copy them onto the new drive either ,as i remember it gives the same error about not being the correct admin.(
!