Motherboard keeps beeping during startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithOne

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
My motherboard keeps beeping intermittently when I start the computer up. Once I get into Windows Vista it finally stops. Every time the motherboard beeps it is because the CPU fan stops running.

I've tried installing three CPU fans and it doesn't help. Do you have any idea what could cause this? Do I have to replace the motherboard which otherwise works fine?

Note: it seems to beep less once the computer is warm if I restart it again.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

llnyc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
It might be the bios is misreading the fan speed so it triggers the warning, or simply due to a wrong bios setting in the smart fan or fan speed warning. Try load optimized default.

Theoretically it could be your CPU is so cool so the passive cooling from the cooler is enough to keep the temperature below the threshold.

My Gigabyte board is inclined to do this too, but it is normal operation.
I think I turned off CPU fan speed monitoring in the BIOS, and turned it on in eztune with the threshhold set to not alarm on the low speed the fan will use when it is just starting up.

SmithOne

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the ideas. My fan doesn't just slow down it stops, beeps (between 1-10 seconds), then starts up again and does this numerous times during startup.

I'll adjust the bios and see what happens. Good to hear that I probably don't need a new motherboard :).

Status
Not open for further replies.