X-Fi drivers for dual-boot system

yoshiyoshi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
G'Day, weird question. Does anyone know of a way to get drivers for an X-Fi Xtreme Audio for 98SE or ME? Or just to get them working? Nothing fancy for the older OS, just some sound. I would like to make a dual-boot for the first time, and have an ME disk (eBay), and want to know what my chances are before I try the dual boot.

If there's no chance, what's the latest 'good' sound card that will facilitate an ME/XP or 98SE/XP dual boot system? I know my Uncle has a few old SoundBlaster Live! cards, and maybe an Audigy of some kind...

If I have other driver problems, I'll post it in the 98/ME section, of course - for now, the only unknown is the sound card.

Thanks!

yoshiyoshi

G

X-Fi is unsupported on Windows 9x/ME. An Audigy 2/4 and Live! cards will work fine on both XP and 9x/ME systems.

yoshiyoshi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Just what I like - a straight answer. Thank you Septic, truly appreciate the help.

I should have known buying the X-Fi the few months ago could cause a little trouble... Oh well, time to consult family for an older SoundBlaster!

yoshiyoshi

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I am giving constructive criticism here, probably a good idea to research newer hardware with older OS's to make sure they are compatible.