300GB Velociraptor 100% activity while idle!?

Furvy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
I'm having a very peculiar problem with my Velociraptor. Whenever the drive is idle, it will start seeking like crazy and will not stop or slow down until some sort of load is being placed on it. The second I turn the machine on until Windows begins to load, I can hear the drive chattering away without pause. While Windows is loading, it's nice and quiet and works just fine. When Windows is done loading, the mad chattering resumes until I open a program, click the Start menu, etc. in which the drive will stop chattering just long enough to load that program or respond to that command. After that, it resumes.

It will also do this without even being connected via SATA. It will seek like mad with just the power supplied to it.

The drive has been checked with WD LifeGuard Diagnostics and it passed. I can't help but think that all of this activity is a serious problem and the drive will fail soon though.

Is it time for an RMA or is there something I can do? Is this a common problem?

My drive: WD3000GLFS
Manufactured: May 31 2008

Furvy

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Okay, I left my machine on for several hours and just came back to it and the problem seems to have magically stopped! I am going to have to guess that all of this activity was related to some sort of internal test and that it was normal all along?

Does anyone else know about this? Well, hopefully if anyone is having the same problem, they'll come across this thread...