Sign in with
Your question

2nd Ever Final Build Questions/Comments. Need MB for E8400!

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2008 5:48:49 PM

This is my 2nd build and I need a little bit of input. I'm sure this question has been asked recently but I cant find it anywhere. I want to build a nice gaming computer which will work well into 2009 when the new Intel socket will go into effect. I will be gaming at my 20" HP w2007's native resolution of 1680x1050. I really need a board that will be compatible with my e8400 Wolfie and SLI. I know people argue that SLI isnt useful until resolutions above mine but the recent benchmarks of current gen games I have looked at shown 45-55 FPS with one 8800gts g92 and they shoot up to 90+ with SLI. Of course Crysis benchmarks only show a gain of 5-6 FPS but that is on High settings. I believe that to future proof my system, I will want to leave space to add a second GPU.

Here is the list of components I either already have, or am purchasing.

CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

Memory
2x G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

Power Supply
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

Case
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Thermal Paste
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

CPU Cooling
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

GPU
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512-P3-N841-A3 Video Card - Retail
To Take advantage of EVGA's upgrade program if nVidia decides to bring out their new GPU's in the next 3 months

Drives
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model LH-20A1S - Retail
And Generic DVD I have setting around

Harddrive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OS
I've got a copy for Windows XP Home Edition 32 bit I might use until Vista SP1 comes out to utulize the full 4gb of ram. Maybe dual boot XP and Vista 64 later on.

I want to OC the processor to around 3.6-3.8GHZ and Im brand new to OC'ing. I think I understand that with the DDR2 800 Memory, I can only OC the FSB to 400, which with the 9x multiplier would OC to 3.6GHZ fairly easy. To get to 3.8GHZ I would have to OC the Memory to 888 correct? and make the FSB on the CPU to 422 correct?

Does anyone think that 4.0GHZ would be stable on this memory? (granted that I get a decent chip that will OC well)

I really need a Motherboard suggestion that will run the e8400, OC well, and be futureproof with SLI. I figured the 680i would be the way to go, but with the 780i's dropping in price slightly I figured I might as well go with one of them. If anyone has any suggestions please comment. Feel free to talk me out of SLI and if so, suggest a different motherboard that fit the first 2 criteria.

I was thinking about this motherboard,
EVGA 122-CK-NF67-T1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but didnt know if it was a good OC'er or not and was uncertain of the quality of the LT boards.
January 24, 2008 4:24:21 AM

no comments :(  I need to order my motherboard tomorrow! Any help would be nice
January 24, 2008 5:12:35 AM

I can't make too many helpful suggestions for your MB, other than this: I would really consider going for the x38/x48/n700 chipset for SLI, rather than the older 680s. I know they're quite a bit more, but if you're looking for future-proof for some time, don't start with the previous generation chipset. If you really have to order your MB tomorrow then I'd recommend giving the reviews on this site for the new chipsets a quick look before making your decision.

As for your memory, I personally have the Crucial Ballistix ddr2-800 (chosen from the 1st place finish on TH), which I've OC'd to 1000+ at CAS5 with no trouble at all. if you get a quality set of DDR2-800, you shouldn't have much trouble getting it to those speeds.
Related resources
January 24, 2008 5:17:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, any help is appreciated. I think I am going to go with one of the new 780i's since they are supposed to support 45nm cpu's from the get go. Ive heard they run very hot though which is bad for overclocking. They seem to be more sturdy than the previous 680i's also.

I wish I would have gone with the Crucial Ballistix, but I have already ordered the G.Skill memory.

January 24, 2008 7:14:06 AM

I have been looking for a new PC for myself for the last 2 months now. Alot has changed in my list since then and my system and needs are very close to yours. I have 2 items that are different to your shopping list: a) After reading alot on SLI, I decided not to go that way for 3 reasons, 1) because with the same money i pay for SLI cards i can get 1 that will be faster, 2) because 2 cards means more components that can fail and will cause even more heat in my case and 3) with SLI cards I limit my motherboard range to only nvidia chipset ones. So after I sorted that out with myself I moved to the hardest part: motherboard. b) After changing motherboards practically every day I decided (and have been stable for the last week now) to go for the ASUS P5E. I was looking at the ASUS Maximus Formula, but i found it quite expensive and had extras i did not need, like 2Xe-sata, 2nd Gbit LAN, water cooling option and Original game STALKER. I am not an extreme overclocker and I definitely do not want to pay the extra money for DDR3 RAM (so DDR3 mobo ruled out). Other than those 2 I am getting same items as you have written down for my gaming needs.
!