Window doesn't dectect my hard drive

darkmwar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
When i plugged this old internal drive in to my computer with the cable that is not connected to the primary drive, it worked fine. However,when i connect it with the cable,it has 3 plugs, that is also connected to my primary drive (C:local Disk), window can't detect it. How do i fix it?

The first drive (your primary "c" drive) has to have the jumper set to "master" and be on the end of the cable.
The second drive you are adding must be jumpered to the "slave" setting and attached to the second, or middle connecter.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Have a look in disk management more than likely it will be in there as a foreign disk that will need to be imported, or there is a drive letter conflict (thats if its detected in the BIOS)

UzY3L

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Make sure the drive which is above (whichever you choose,though I would suggest the windows drive) is set to Master and the drive below is set to Slave.If it still doesn't work you're either using the Cable Select setting on one of the drives (which doesn't always work),the cable's 2nd connections is faulty or your drive (the old one) is headstrong on being left alone.So get a separate cable and see if it works.
Love&Peace!