Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inquirer: Dell drops AMD from its website offerings

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 8, 2008 12:46:03 PM

This one from Charlie Dmerjian himself. I took a quick look over at dell.com and sure enough the only AMD offering I saw was an inspiron 531 desktop. I suspected this might happen after Michael Dell took back over and in light of the current Phenom issues. As I recall Mr. Dell got burned by AMD mfg problems years ago. If only they had gotten Phenom and Barcelona right......

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/08/dell-dumps-amd

At any rate I guess dell will continue to use AMD for their bargain basement wal-mart offerings. Too bad really....

edit: they are also offering an inspiron 1501 notebook that is AMD powered.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2008 1:04:57 PM

Dell to Stop Selling AMD Based Computers Online

For years, users wanted Dell to include AMD processors in Dell builds. In May 2006, Dell was happy to announce that they were bringing AMD on board. Everything seemed to be working out, until now. Dell recently announced that they're discontinuing almost all AMD-based Dell computers. The few ones that are left cannot be purchased online, and are only found in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. This is likely to be a huge blow for AMD, and could not have come at a worse time. AMD recently posted abysmal revenue/loss figures for Q4 2007, and is running a company (ATI) that is worth 30% less than it was at the time of initial purchase. Hopefully, AMD will find more people to sell their processors
February 8, 2008 1:05:36 PM

doesn't seem legit!
Related resources
February 8, 2008 1:12:15 PM

evongugg said:
Dell to Stop Selling AMD Based Computers Online

For years, users wanted Dell to include AMD processors in Dell builds. In May 2006, Dell was happy to announce that they were bringing AMD on board. Everything seemed to be working out, until now. Dell recently announced that they're discontinuing almost all AMD-based Dell computers. The few ones that are left cannot be purchased online, and are only found in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. This is likely to be a huge blow for AMD, and could not have come at a worse time. AMD recently posted abysmal revenue/loss figures for Q4 2007, and is running a company (ATI) that is worth 30% less than it was at the time of initial purchase. Hopefully, AMD will find more people to sell their processors

Was that a quote??
The end bit isn't quite true "AMD recently posted abysmal revenue/loss figures for Q4 2007", the figures for Q4 weren't really that bad for AMD, certainly nothing like the beginning of the year (as far as I recall...). Interesting if it's true though. Although as Gateway have just picked AMD, perhaps not a mega blow?
February 8, 2008 1:27:04 PM

Dell should have never gone AMD.
Opteron was only good before the first Woodcrest numbers leaked into the net and that timeframe was when Dell had to introduce like 1 or 2 AMD-based WSs/Servers, but they missed it.
Their whole AMD-thing went 100% wrong.
February 8, 2008 1:52:06 PM

Too bad for AMD, I hope they can recover from the abysmal year they had in 2007.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 8, 2008 1:58:22 PM

I am sure someone is going to try to see this as Intel being anti-trust. It makes sense though. Phenom is underperforming and AMD probably cant manufacture enough Optys for Dell to sell or wont sell them to Dell due to the TLB.
February 8, 2008 2:22:10 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I am sure someone is going to try to see this as Intel being anti-trust. It makes sense though. Phenom is underperforming and AMD probably cant manufacture enough Optys for Dell to sell or wont sell them to Dell due to the TLB.


My sentiments exactly..

If this article is true I bet in the near future we will see a headline ‘AMD suing INTEL cause they need to blame someone’
February 8, 2008 2:28:13 PM

AMD is already suing Intel for anti-trust...

Have you read the Headlines...
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2008 2:35:30 PM

LukeBird said:
Was that a quote??
The end bit isn't quite true "AMD recently posted abysmal revenue/loss figures for Q4 2007", the figures for Q4 weren't really that bad for AMD, certainly nothing like the beginning of the year (as far as I recall...). Interesting if it's true though. Although as Gateway have just picked AMD, perhaps not a mega blow?


http://www.techpowerup.com/52003/Dell_to_Stop_Selling_A...
February 8, 2008 2:52:53 PM

tgstyle, they can have multiple lawsuits...

If John is caught steeling he gets charged, if he gets caught again he faces another charge.

***edit**
Which i am sure you know
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 8, 2008 3:06:54 PM

So even if Mr Dell himself stated it was his decision AMD will try to blame Intel. They will state Intel forced it when it was their CPUS not performing.
February 8, 2008 3:29:09 PM

And a lot of people thought Apple was crazy when they made the announcement to use future Intel cpus. Hmm.
February 8, 2008 7:37:18 PM

Right, so they will sell AMD in the commodity machines, like HP and emachines. You just can't get one in a build to order, high end desktop or laptop. Sounds like a pretty clear message to me.........
February 8, 2008 7:46:35 PM

LukeBird said:
the figures for Q4 weren't really that bad for AMD, certainly nothing like the beginning of the year (as far as I recall...). Interesting if it's true though. Although as Gateway have just picked AMD, perhaps not a mega blow?


You do realize that AMD did not profit? The object isn't to break even, but rather to have embarrasingly huge profits (ex: Intel).
February 8, 2008 7:51:43 PM
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 8, 2008 8:56:59 PM



It makes sense to me why they would do that. If Mr. Dell is a true PC person he wants 2 things. One thats has a good price/performance ratio and something you can get. Not to mention without problems.

As for the new chips(and I like how they are pulling the same naming scheme as Intel/ATI has) that wont restor consumer confidence as by then it will probably be too late. They will be coming right before the dawn of Nehalem. This may stagnate the CPU segment though as Intel has nothing to compete against. Sad.
February 10, 2008 1:18:31 AM

gr8mikey said:
This one from Charlie Dmerjian himself. I took a quick look over at dell.com and sure enough the only AMD offering I saw was an inspiron 531 desktop. I suspected this might happen after Michael Dell took back over and in light of the current Phenom issues. As I recall Mr. Dell got burned by AMD mfg problems years ago. If only they had gotten Phenom and Barcelona right......

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/08/dell-dumps-amd

At any rate I guess dell will continue to use AMD for their bargain basement wal-mart offerings. Too bad really....

edit: they are also offering an inspiron 1501 notebook that is AMD powered.


Hey gr8mikey, good to see ya.

You know, normally it makes me cringe to see anyone quote the crapquirer in the forumz...it just cries guilt by association, but Im glad you put this one up....its serves as both a reminder and proof that Charlie Dmerjian knows squat and the Inquirer is about as accurate as a blind sniper, even though Reynod still thinks they have a clue.

The Wall Street Jounal Online: Dell Pares Back Sales Of AMD-Based PCs

Dell is indeed scaling back online sales of AMD powered systems, but it is NOT 'unceremoniously dumping AMD from it's web site' as Charlie claims. Good thing Charlie didnt make any bets on this one or he'd be wearing the bunny suit in public again.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 10, 2008 3:38:41 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Reverse hyperthreading.


Real quick but since I am not too into AMDs chips what the hell was reverse HT supposed to do? If HT allows 1 CPU to run 2 threads does this mean AMDs would have allowed 1 CPU to run half a thread? Would have sounded stupid if it was meant to speed things up.
February 10, 2008 11:38:11 AM

The Inquirer reported that K8L (now K10) would have "reverse hyperthreading" and that it would "pwn all spIntel n00bs!!1!". Baron subsequently posted the article here to demonstrate Intel's impending doom and BK.

K10 does not have a "reverse hyperthreading" feature. The feature supposedly was to take a single threaded process and be able to run it on several cores simultaneously.

jimmysmitty said:
Real quick but since I am not too into AMDs chips what the hell was reverse HT supposed to do? If HT allows 1 CPU to run 2 threads does this mean AMDs would have allowed 1 CPU to run half a thread? Would have sounded stupid if it was meant to speed things up.
February 10, 2008 12:21:39 PM

Inquirer = auto ignore.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 1:29:45 PM

turpit said:

You know, normally it makes me cringe to see anyone quote the crapquirer in the forumz...it just cries guilt by association, but Im glad you put this one up....its serves as both a reminder and proof that Charlie Dmerjian knows squat and the Inquirer is about as accurate as a blind sniper, even though Reynod still thinks they have a clue.

Nasty ... just nasty ... I'll tell Charlie on you ... I will !!

I don't think that was warranted ... but then again I still read the crap you write too ... but I don't complain often ... other than the LENGTH of the posts.

I like the Inq ... it's a good read and funny ... and SHORT!!

Its just that most Americans don't understand British humour ... they take it literally ... probably because its too subtle, and refined.

Americans only seem to understand DELETED... shock and awe.

And that's ok too ... where would we be without the US porn industry ... that gave us the internet. And we all enjoy you bombing the **** out of the odd weird nation.

Plus the US has done far more for Oz than the poms have ... so I salute you ... my fine (and coarse) friends !!

Come down anytime for a swim ... bring the brood!!
February 10, 2008 2:21:56 PM

Reynod said:
I like the Inq ... it's a good read and funny ... and SHORT!!


Ya, I hate those lengthy articles based on facts. Just give it to me short and sweet.
February 10, 2008 3:08:50 PM

Reynod said:
turpit said:

You know, normally it makes me cringe to see anyone quote the crapquirer in the forumz...it just cries guilt by association, but Im glad you put this one up....its serves as both a reminder and proof that Charlie Dmerjian knows squat and the Inquirer is about as accurate as a blind sniper, even though Reynod still thinks they have a clue.

Nasty ... just nasty ... I'll tell Charlie on you ... I will !!

I don't think that was warranted ... but then again I still read the crap you write too ... but I don't complain often ... other than the LENGTH of the posts.

I like the Inq ... it's a good read and funny ... and SHORT!!

Its just that most Americans don't understand British humour ... they take it literally ... probably because its too subtle, and refined.

Americans only seem to understand DELETED... shock and awe.

And that's ok too ... where would we be without the US porn industry ... that gave us the internet. And we all enjoy you bombing the **** out of the odd weird nation.

Plus the US has done far more for Oz than the poms have ... so I salute you ... my fine (and coarse) friends !!

Come down anytime for a swim ... bring the brood!!


I love british humor, but Charlie insnt trying to be funny, he's an embittered AMD fanboy who is trying to style himself a technology/industry guru, and that, he most certainly is not.

No need to read my crap, none at all. By all means, continue reading only that which pleases you.

And you know better than to use certain words.
February 10, 2008 9:01:31 PM

dell tried gave Amd a shot but perhaps far too many customers complained abt it, so I believe this is likely the reason for amd getting kicked to the curb.
February 10, 2008 9:30:38 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Real quick but since I am not too into AMDs chips what the hell was reverse HT supposed to do? If HT allows 1 CPU to run 2 threads does this mean AMDs would have allowed 1 CPU to run half a thread? Would have sounded stupid if it was meant to speed things up.


What it was supposed (alleged) to do was to split one thread into two threads, and simultaneously process them with multiple cores, and re-combine them. The result? Improved single-threaded performance.

But of course, that never came to fruition.
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 10, 2008 9:55:06 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
The Inquirer reported that K8L (now K10) would have "reverse hyperthreading" and that it would "pwn all spIntel n00bs!!1!". Baron subsequently posted the article here to demonstrate Intel's impending doom and BK.

K10 does not have a "reverse hyperthreading" feature. The feature supposedly was to take a single threaded process and be able to run it on several cores simultaneously.


Ahhh. Ok that makes sense but calling it revers HT doesn't. Maybe Advanced HT instead? So it would sound like it was meant to process threads faster. I doubt it will come soon. Maybe in their next step but then again.

Reynod said:
turpit said:

You know, normally it makes me cringe to see anyone quote the crapquirer in the forumz...it just cries guilt by association, but Im glad you put this one up....its serves as both a reminder and proof that Charlie Dmerjian knows squat and the Inquirer is about as accurate as a blind sniper, even though Reynod still thinks they have a clue.

Nasty ... just nasty ... I'll tell Charlie on you ... I will !!

I don't think that was warranted ... but then again I still read the crap you write too ... but I don't complain often ... other than the LENGTH of the posts.

I like the Inq ... it's a good read and funny ... and SHORT!!

Its just that most Americans don't understand British humour ... they take it literally ... probably because its too subtle, and refined.

Americans only seem to understand DELETED... shock and awe.

And that's ok too ... where would we be without the US porn industry ... that gave us the internet. And we all enjoy you bombing the **** out of the odd weird nation.

Plus the US has done far more for Oz than the poms have ... so I salute you ... my fine (and coarse) friends !!

Come down anytime for a swim ... bring the brood!!


Not all Americans are the same. I enjoy Mr. Bean and some other British Comedies. But yea there is a huge cultural difference as I still enjoy Jeff Dunham and so on. But don't just lump us all in one area as we could do the same which is wrong.
February 10, 2008 10:27:19 PM

how did we get from AMD and Dell to Mr. Bean for gods sake?
February 10, 2008 11:34:12 PM

AmdMELTDOWN said:
dell tried gave Amd a shot but perhaps far too many customers complained abt it, so I believe this is likely the reason for amd getting kicked to the curb.



HIGHLY doubt it. Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 11, 2008 4:23:56 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
HIGHLY doubt it. Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)


I know a good commercial for Dell now . Some weird guy saying: "Dude!!! You're not getting a Phenom"

Sorry I had to say it :p 
February 11, 2008 5:28:10 PM

Dell and AMD was kind of a weird thing that happened. Dell didn't figure out about AMD until really late in the game. Then, when they dropped Intel exclusivity, Intel most likely dropped some Dell perks Dell was getting. Thus, we see HP has come forward as the strong PC mfger and Dell is severely lagging behind.
On the AMD side, AMD had to sacrifice their Channel partners for at least a quarter to build Dell inventory. This soured their Channel relationships and quite a few jumped ship back to Intel only.
Now that AMD is no longer that competative, Dell is dropping them. Wouldn't it be funny if in a few months AMD released some great new chip?

The largest problem I can see is that Dell's quality overall declined a lot in the same period as when they introduced AMD chips. Now, that's probably just a coincidence, but the consumer may not see it that way.

This whole situation was just odd.
February 11, 2008 10:46:14 PM

Cant DELL sell both brands .. geez talk about a one horse race..

AMD can launch there Cryixxx cpus thingis again .. K5 ?
February 12, 2008 5:16:55 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
HIGHLY doubt it. Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)


You know, looked at from a certain perspective, that could be taken as a low blow, a very low blow, to AMD phans. :ouch: 
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2008 10:46:48 AM

Like we listen to TC ... pffft ??

He's an embittered 939'er ... a traitor to the cause.

May electromigration gnaw at your souls ...
February 12, 2008 11:50:42 AM

Reynod said:
Like we listen to TC ... pffft ??

He's an embittered 939'er ... a traitor to the cause.

May electromigration gnaw at your souls ...



Theres a lot of embittered 939'ers out there. I was one of them until I put my new Intel system together. Now I just thank God I didnt try to go the AM2 route.
February 12, 2008 1:28:25 PM

Reynod said:
Like we listen to TC ... pffft ??

He's an embittered 939'er ... a traitor to the cause.

May electromigration gnaw at your souls ...


The cause of what? AMD4Life?

Am I living in GTA:SA or what? :sarcastic: 
February 12, 2008 4:35:05 PM

ZozZoz said:
how did we get from AMD and Dell to Mr. Bean for gods sake?



EXTREMELY DELETED

That was hillarious man....thumbs up, but it cant stay here bro...over the line for the CPU section. Now, the basement....well....
February 13, 2008 2:31:06 AM

gr8mikey said:
EXTREMELY DELETED

That was hillarious man....thumbs up, but it cant stay here bro...over the line for the CPU section. Now, the basement....well....




Fair enough. Just pretty please don't ban me. I couldn't resist. It's all their fault for bringing up Mr. Bean anyway.
February 13, 2008 2:42:23 AM

gr8mikey said:
Fair enough. Just pretty please don't ban me. I couldn't resist. It's all their fault for bringing up Mr. Bean anyway.




:lol:  ....No bannage for that man......Hell, I wish I didnt have to delete it.
February 13, 2008 3:26:01 AM

turpit said:
You know, looked at from a certain perspective, that could be taken as a low blow, a very low blow, to AMD phans. :ouch: 

Good point but if it makes the author feel superior and needs to express that, more power to them. Stereotyping people and making generalizations that "Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)" is not true in my case. Purchased the best bang for the buck option at the time and have made the best of what I have. To do over again I would go a different route. The validity of anything the author of that post states in future posts is invalidated (in my opinion) due to bias and a superiorarity complex they possess.

February 13, 2008 7:05:24 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
HIGHLY doubt it. Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)

In truth, the only people who wouldn't be satisfied with an AMD chip would be OCers, or people who use photoshop 24/7.
Who wants to settle for satisfied anymore?
February 13, 2008 3:56:43 PM

endyen said:
Who wants to settle for satisfied anymore?


Dell customers.
February 13, 2008 3:58:01 PM

gr8mikey said:
EXTREMELY DELETED


Congrats Mikey on getting the first EXTREMELY DELETED.
February 13, 2008 8:05:58 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Dell customers.

Just the facts (for the Factboy)
1.I got an oem (Dell) system because I had to start with a system from scratch due to a housefire (mine)
2.I have a limited budget (on disability)
3.Not all Dell customers are poor
4.Your are ignorant
5.This just validates my previous statement:
Good point but if it makes the author feel superior and needs to express that, more power to them. Stereotyping people and making generalizations that "Most Dell customers with AMD processors are probably very satisfied. (I'm not being sarcastic, there's no reason why a Dell customer wouldn't be happy with an AMD proc)" is not true in my case. Purchased the best bang for the buck option at the time and have made the best of what I have. To do over again I would go a different route. The validity of anything the author of that post states in future posts is invalidated (in my opinion) due to bias and a superiorarity complex they possess.
6.Why do run an AMD cpu then?
AMD Opteron 175 (Dual Core @2.2ghz w/ 2x1MB L2 Cache)
!