extremepilot

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I just installed easytune 5 for my EX38 board and it's so ugly - looks like it utlizies 256colors or something. Did I get the wrong version?

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I have EasyTune 6. All my parts are OC'able and I have an aftermarket cooler. So, if not EasyTune for OC'ing, how does one OC an i7 920 with the UD4P MOBO? I'm a complete noob to OC'ing; never done it before.

stecman

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
In the bios, there is a section called "advanced system settings" or something like that. What you are looking for is "CPU Multiplier". There will be an option to enable user set multiplier. Set this option to enable and change the CPU multiplier; keeping all other possible settings at auto (that way your board figures all the ratios out). It will tell you what the clockspeed will be with your multiplier. Save and exit BIOS (F10, Yes) to enable your settings. If the computer does not boot, or resets soon after boot, you probably pushed it too hard :p

That board will allow you to push the CPU multiplier up a huge amount (a similar board for 775 socket allowed me to set a multiplier resulting in 15GHz from a 2.93Ghz dual core!) so safest to change in small amounts (0.1Ghz steps and 0.05GHz steps if you are nearing the tipping point of crashing). I am running a 775 2.66GHz dual core at 3.2GHz with no heat issues on the standard heatsink, but I am unsure of the i7's heat generation.
Have fun,
Stecman.

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. Im definitely not looking for crazy amounts of boosting. The CPU is about 2.67 Ghz. I'd like to get into perhaps 3 Gz flat.

bilbat

Splendid
Give me a day or two, and I can work up a 'canned' OC for you - have been defunct for a couple days here, as have been re-assembling the engine in my dad's truck - had it down to the heads & block; also, need some time for a couple win7 re-installs...

Bill

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Bill that would be aces man :bounce: Thanks so much!

I'll check back in, in a couple of days

bilbat

Splendid
Going to need manufacturer and part number for your RAM... And, one more question - do you know how to do a BIOS flash? If not, I'll post a tutorial - and that will require knowing whether or not you have a floppy drive installed?

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Sure, the RAm is Kingston Hyper X DDR3/1600Mhz PC3 10700G (667Mhz) (2GBx3)
P.#: 9905403-048.A00LF

I have done a BIOS flash before, so I'm like 70% confident about it.

And, no floppy installed.

Thanks

EDIT: corrected part number

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Ya know it's funny, I had one of those numbers up then thought I was "correcting" it by using that number instead lol

I think this is the number. Goin on the specs, etc.:
KHX12800D3LLK3/6GX.

I'm using Newegg to track down my parts. Newegg is confusing, and since I had this built for me, it's difficult pin pointing the exact one. But this seems like it's gota be it.

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hey, hi Bill just checkin in to see about my specific OC instructions. Also I was wondering, could I just use the Gigabyte instructions with lower settings? Would that work too?

bilbat

Splendid
OMG - I humbly apologize! I've been terribly busy, and simply forgot this - comes with old age :sleep:
Doing i7 research today anyways (new P55 MOBOs and P55 specs- will try to whip something up posthaste...

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

ahah, hey no problem man. I am eager, but good things come to those who wait :)

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Ah, simply outstanding Bill :sol:

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

Hi Bill, here's some more info on cooling and then some:

- 2 Case fans
- Thermal compound paste
- XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink, Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof
- Pwrsupply: Corsair Power Supplies 650 Watts CMPSU-650TX
- Vid: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

I mess around with audio production, so it's not for gaming or anything.

Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
OK - you gots cooling! Here we go:

GA-EX58-UD4P
Intel i7-920 x20mult 2.666GHz .80-1.375V OC to 3.4GHz
Kingston KHX12800D3LLK3/6GX (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3-12800: 8-8-8-24(20?)-1t 1.65v

If you haven't yet done it, pull out two sticks, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS; notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features
enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"CPU Clock Ratio" to "20x"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

On the "Advanced CPU Features" sub-page:

"Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech" to "Enabled"
"CPU Cores Enabled" to "All"
"CPU Multi Threading" to "Enabled"
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Bi-Directional PROCHOT" to "Enabled"

On the "Uncore & QPI Features" sub-page:

"QPI Link Speed" to "x36" (may 'bump' to x44 later...)
Uncore Frequency" to "20" (may 'bump' to x22 later...)
Isonchronous Frequency" to "Enabled"

On the "Advanced Clock Control" sub-page:

>>>>>Standard Clock Control<<<<<
"Base Clock (BCLK) Control" to "Enabled"
"BCLK Frequency (MHz)" to "160"
"PCI Express Frequency (MHz)" to "101" (not auto)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
>>>>>Advanced Clock Control<<<<<
"CPU Clock Drive" to "800mV"
"PCI Express Clock Drive" to "900mV"
"CPU Clock Skew" to "0ps"
"IOH Clock Skew" to "0ps"

On the "Advanced DRAM Features" sub-page:

"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P)" to "Disabled"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "10x"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

>>>>>Channel A/B/C Timing Settings: (all the same)

>>>>>Channel A Standard Timing Control:
"CAS Latency Time" to "8"
"tRCD" to "8"
"tRP" to "8"
"tRAS" to "24" (may 'bump down' to 20 later... Indication:
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1602&pageID=7099
is that RAM's EPP says 8-8-8-20 rather than rated 8-8-8-24)

Italicized values should be good in auto after "Load Optimized Defaults"; have put in some 'check me' values [I'm uncertain yet about some -

please post back with your 'auto's], but to start, leave in auto...

>>>>>Channel A Advanced Timing Control:
"tRC" to "36"
"tRRD" to "5"
"tWTR" to "6?"
"tWR" to "12"
"tWTP" to "24?"
"tWL" to "7"
"tRFC" to "88"
"tRTP" to "8"
"tFAW" to "??"
"Command Rate (CMD)" to "1T"
>>>>>Channel A Misc Timing Control
"Round Trip" to "??"

On the "Advanced Voltage Control" sub-page:

>>>CPU
"Load Line Calibration" to "Disabled"(this works differently on different boards - on mine, it's worse "enabled" than "disabled" - the function is supposed to cure a phenomenon called Vdroop - the CPU voltage regulation circuit causes the CPU core voltage to sag, or 'droop' under high loadings; hopefully, we're going to be at a low enough voltage to just ignore this...)
"CPU Vcore" to "1.35"
"QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v" to "1.374" May need to bump for stability
"CPU PLL 1.800v" to "Auto"

>>>MCH/ICH
"PCIE 1.500v" to "1.5"
"QPI PLL 1.100v" to "1.2"
"IOH Core 1.100v" to "1.2"
"ICH I/O 1.500v" to "1.5"
"ICH Core 1.1v" to "1.2"

>>>DRAM
"DRAM Voltage 1.500v" to "1.66"
"DRAM Termination 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"
"Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v" to "Auto"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"USB Storage Function" to "Disabled"

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

dobsfactor

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi Bill! Wow, I need a little time to absorb this. But I had a question first, may be a dumb one but I just want to make sure. I noticed you typed Intel 8400, where as I'm using the i7 920. Am I missing something or was that just a typo?

TRENDING THREADS