Intel Skulltrail 3: 8 vs 4 Core Performance

leo2kp

Distinguished
"Currently, Intel is not under any kind of pressure from the competition--it has already proved that it makes the fastest CPUs in the market. So why create such a dubious platform?"

It amazes me how one day you're being criticized for sitting back and milking the performance throne, and the next you're looked down upon by the same people for continuing to make advancements while on said throne. WTF do you people want?! If you got the money, do it. I think AMD was at their mountain-top when they were developing 4x4 and probably seemed like a great idea, but Intel came around and bit them in the arse pretty hard. Looking back it just seems like bad luck for AMD. Intel has much more to work with so if AMD decides to come back with something good Intel probably won't be in such a bind :-/

I say let the technology mature. It could be amazing ;)

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:cry: . o O (But but but.... which is the best failure???)

:oops: . o O (I dunno why I'm asking that question)

Avenger_K

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

Good logic, but first we must prove that Skulltrail = QuadFX. :lol: :sarcastic:

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, actually, some of us still like to go back and play old games. I'm currently playing Morrowind (no, not Oblivion), for example. So yeah, it kinda does matter how older games perform.

Quad FX had slower non Core-2 processors, but better RAM.

Skulltrail has awesome CPUs, but sucky RAM.

Pick your poison!

However, it still all comes down to the total LACK of the need for 8 cores for most consumers.

If you need a multi socket system, get a server.

I agree. In server apps this might be a great setup but in reality we need DDR2/3. I still stand that this is the entry into Intels double socket end user platform and will be developing a chipset specifically for it for DDR3. A quad channel setup of DDR3 would be nice. :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

They won't. Nobody cares about information that disproves their own prejudices.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
IMO It looks like somebody needs to figure out ways to benchmark thats not off the shelf push-button software.

ex:
pick a mp3 encoder, pick a wav file
start 8 copies of the mp3 encoder, to run in parallel.

Time the process on the skulltrail and on a regular quad core box.
publish results.

end of argument :p

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Intel likely came out with DDR3 support in order to get DDR3 into the market in time for its own on-die memory controller. By the time they developed a new chipset for current-technology dual-processor desktop systems it would already be outdated, not to mention that all that development cost would need to be recovered through the sales of a relatively small number of prohibitively expensive boards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Kittle has a point about finding more multitasking benchmarks, it would be amazing if I could transcode a DVD on my second drive, do a virus scan on my main drive, and run a recent game at high resolutions simultaneously.

I hate it when I'm doing something and some program starts up that drags my other programs to a crawl.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

You see, i wasn't criticizing old games for the sake of they being old, but mostly because i would like to see some "new blood" in games and how they perform here in this particular plataform.
Just for the record, i play very often unreal tournament from 1999 and quake 3 arena.

kingraven

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
So... where are the QuadFX phenom comparisons? I mean intel may have a new toy and powerful too but I am yet to see any QuadFX benchmarks be it 2x 2core or 2x 4core. Not that I think they'll be a match for intel but still all I hear is bash bash bash and no bench...

QuadFX is abandonware. It has officially been dropped by AMD. You can't go 2x4 on it because they never made quads for that socket (even though they said they would and all the fanboys bought that crap so they could have "megatasking platformance").

Benchmarking a year+ old failure and comparing it to an even bigger failure but current (yes, I say that because of the FB RAM) is an exercise in futility.

Hey, that reminds me. After giving all that "advice" Baron never actually got a QuadFX system; after saying he would!

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I tend to agree with the multitasking arguments here - run a game, virus app or other "normal" windows scenario together and see how the system goes, or for that matter, encode a dozen wmv files simultaneously. Encoding and copying video files to your psp or video ipod is a pain enough, but if you can do 8 of those in the same time it would take you to do one... now there I could see the potential in multi-core power.

Disappointment is an understatement. Intel simply had an unoriginal but interesting idea and went down the wrong road with it. Considering the emergence of enthusiast UATX and 10-slot designs, Intel should have used it's R&D to instead work on a CHIPSET - something that would allow enthusiasts/gamers to use just a single quad-core CPU, overclock the heck out of it, and combine quad-channel DDR3 memory and an ATI/nVidia capable quad-GPU 64-lane PCI express graphics solution within the Ultra-ATX form factor. Future-proof, if you know what I mean.

We all know the direction enthusiast/gamers are going, give us the hardware we need, and you will eventually get software that takes advantage of it.

Actually Intel must have been pretty stupid to think the gamers wouldn't notice the sucky memory performance or that a high end Kenty vs Skulltrail wouldn't show a lick of difference on many games.

Obviously their Marketing Department didn't listen to Engineering ... must have had a momentary lapse of reason ... unlike AMD who have a marketing department like this dork ( Stephen DiFranco) from AMD who is bereft of all reason whatsoever:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/08/please-advertise-amd-begs-intel

Jeez AMD ... how pathetic can you get ???

galvitron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
The only reason to buy this board is for overclocking. In this chipset series there are better motherboards. For instance:

http://tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=560

- Dual 45nm Xeons
- 1600 MHz FSB
- quad-pumped memory
- Dual PCI-Express 2.0
- 128 GB RAM (800 MHz FB-DIMMs)
- RAID
- SAS

About the same price as the skulltrail board and probably a stabler BIOS.

I should also mention that this chipset is a workstation chipset geared towards CAD or Video editing. Not ideal for gaming...

If you need to load a hige 3D model into RAM this is the best board to get.

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006

I recall in a post somewhere that Baron was still running an old 939 chip.

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Oh my, if that's old what does that makes of my athlon 3500+ :cry: :(

HEH A FRIGGIN FAST FAILURE

oh the buyers remorse for people when a 8 core nahlem comes out and eats them all alive.