January 23, 2008 10:29:13 PM

Built this durable system about 4-5 years ago for around 800 dollars:

3.2Ghz Prescott P4 HT
Asus Mobo
2x512mb DDR Kingston Ram PC3200 - Dual channel
160x2gig WD HDD Raid 0
Radeon AGP 9600xt AIW 128MB
350Watts PSU

Should I upgrade? maybe get 2 more 512 ram and dual channel all 4. Upgrade new graphics? I am into mostly gaming MMO to FPS to Strategic games (warcraft III). If I should upgrade what parts should I replace or get? If you guys think I should make a new system I would spend around 800 dollars so keep that in mind - I need some suggestions of if I should upgrade or build new.

More about : upgrade build

January 23, 2008 11:20:22 PM

WoW and W3 runs fine right now - 9600xt handled W3 like a charm when I first built the system but now it has spikes I don't know why...any ideas?
Related resources
January 24, 2008 12:06:23 AM

That would be a good card as well.
A second GB or RAM could really help as well.

A fresh install of Windows may not hurt either.
Over time is gets cluttered and is a bit tough to get cleaned up.
All that eats memory.

January 24, 2008 12:08:27 AM

Get a new PC. If you try upgrading the graphics you will need a new PSU and after that your CPU will be a bottle neck and the cycle continues.
January 24, 2008 11:38:43 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Get a new PC. If you try upgrading the graphics you will need a new PSU and after that your CPU will be a bottle neck and the cycle continues.

People just love to spend other people's other people's money....
Seriously though, if your PC still does what you need it to do, then you don't need to upgrade.

As zenmaster pointed out, a fresh install of Windows and another gig of memory will definetly help with what you are doing.

If you wanted to start playing the modern more demanding games, it may be time to move on with a complete upgrade. I would not spend money on an AGP video card for a 4 year old system. If you are going to buy new memory and a new video card both, it might as well be DDR2 and a PCIe video card placed onto a new motherboard with a decent Core 2 Duo processor.
!