Sign in with
Your question

My HD isn't recognize in the bios

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2009 4:58:44 PM

last week my system stop recognize my HD
in the beginning i thougth that the HD is died and i got
a new one i connected it but still the HD is not recognize what could be the problem?

the old HD - 120 WD sata1
the new HD 160 WD sata 2

thank's

More about : recognize bios

February 2, 2009 1:23:11 AM

did u try connecting it to a different sata port on the mobo? cos i had the same problem, and it was my motherboards sata connection that was broken
February 3, 2009 9:57:13 AM

try to use a different SATA port as mentioned, and also a different SATA cable. If this does not help, than your hard drive is dead.
Related resources
February 3, 2009 6:44:51 PM

It could just be your BIOS.Try a BIOS reset and if that doesn't work,then re-flash it.The cases in which a brand new drive is defective is very rare.I work in the business and it's only happened twice in about 8-9 years.
Also,make sure your HDDs receive power from the PSU (Power Supply Unit).Check your power cables and as the other members stated,your SATA ports and your SATA cables ;) 
Love&Peace!
February 4, 2009 4:18:01 AM

check the bios setting for HDDs. enable either auto, enhanced or IDE and in your case if auto does not work then set it to enhanced so it can detect both ide and sata drives.

hth. ;) 
February 4, 2009 7:14:50 AM

Check if your drive is SATA1 or 2, if your drive is SATA2 check if your MB suppports SATA2. some old MB only supports SATA1.
I had the same thing on a SATA1 MB with a SATA2 Western Digital Drive.
With some WD drives you have to use a jumper to get them to work on SATA1 ports.
February 4, 2009 12:13:02 PM

If the mobo can support sata2, remove the jumper on the hdd. If you allready removed it, replace it and see if will recognize.
February 4, 2009 1:23:08 PM

There is not much you can do in an instance like this, assuming its not the cable or sata port on the motherboard. When this happens at work, its usually do to the firmware on the hdd circuit board causing the BIOS to not detect the drive. When we get drives with bad platters, I remove their still functioning circuit boards so that I can swap them on drives with issues like yours. Unfortunately though, this only works if you can get another drive of the EXACT SAME model using the EXACT SAME firmware.
February 4, 2009 2:41:22 PM

as DiscoDuck said...perhaps you should check the jumper... WD drives may need to work with SATA1 boards
a b G Storage
February 4, 2009 5:19:36 PM

If you have any SATA devices being recognized by the BIOS such as CD or DVD then you know the cables and MB ports for those devices are OK. Remove the cables from the recognized devices and plug them into the HDD in question. If still unrecognized the problem is within the HDD. If If recognized the problem is with the MB or cables. I don't think SATA drives have jumpers. What would they be for?
!