I've got an idea to the reasoning behind the 3870x2

Phrozt

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
When nVidia's 8800 line came out, it owned. When ATI replied back w/it's 2900 line, it failed. However, when the 8800 SLI line was matched to the 2900 XF line, we saw ATI gaining back a lot of it's ground. ATI's dual-card solution was arguably better (in terms of performance gains) than nVidia's dual card solution. However, we're all aware that *most* people are still single card users - not to mention the fact that a lot of the more "enthusiast friendly" mobos were single x16 or dual x8 slot configurations.

ATI knew it could be a lot more competitive on the dual card market, but it had no way to really force users to buy two cards (and therefore compete in its favored category)... until now. I don't care how some are intent on trying to justify it as a single card, the 3870x2 is a dual card option (that only takes up one slot). It's got a crossfire chip on the board! The difference is, ATI configured it in a way that forces its more competitive configuration into the mainstream market.

I still argue that it's not a clear victory because of the back and forth battles between nVidia's current offerings (even *with* the dual card configuration), but I've got to hand it to ATI's marketing division for placing their strong points right in the eyes of mainstream consumers.

That's not a bad opinion and it's one I've seen a couple of times. On another forum a guy was debating whether or not to x-fire his current 3870 or get the X2. Since his second PCI-e lane wasn't the full x16, the general consensus was to sell the original 3870 and get the x2.

This is probably similar to what NVidia intended the 7950GX2 to be, but since the drivers were crap, it just didn't work out that way.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Correct.
There are LOTS of P35 boards out there that can't support Dual CF well, so a strong single card is the best bet.

The same reason NVIDIA will have the 9800X2 out soon.

jnava121

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
I have 2 x16 lanes with crossfire mobo can I get an x2 and use my 3870 together ? (if the drivers come out for it ) sweet....

TRENDING THREADS