3870x2 Arrives, current issues (status)

Tsukasa

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Just got the Asus 3870x2 yesterday. This beast is HOT!! Not as heavy as I expected but the black backplate and the red heatsinking (excluding the copper and aluminum heatsinks) get really hot idle; to hot to touch.

Also, the MCW60 doesn't seem like it will be able to fit the new arrangement unless (and this is a definite maybe) you use a longer screw to fasten the waterblock to the board and keep the waterblock in one piece using the same screw. You will also have to remove the red heatsinking to mount the mcw60 or insert a copper shim of some sort as there is a noticable gap between the core and the red heatsinking.

Idling at 63C it seems. Mine might have a heat issue or a driver issue as with the latest drivers at some point the card losses its connection with the monitor; although this does not happen in safe mode and did not happen before the 8.1 drivers.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Mine is currently at 52c but it is normally a little nearer 60 idle. As for load temps, whenever i minimised to CCC from Crysis the highest i saw the temp at was 80c, so accounting for the tiny space of time which it had to cool ide say 85c was the max mine hit.

I hear that the drivers make it lose signal with Vista and not XP, ive not got the latest ones yet from ATI so if anyone has had this problem on XP ide like to know before i try it!

Tsukasa

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Found the reason for the loss of signal, and later artifacting... :D

Fluid XP+ Coolant leak (not so non-conductive after all :sarcastic: ) a little bit made its way onto the card, cleaned it up -works good as new. ;)

Haven't had the pleasure of testing it in any games yet, to much work (First up will be Crysis though). Still trying to figure out how to get those two mcw60's onto the card. Goodness knows they need it.

TRENDING THREADS