SATA cable confusion - straight or angled

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
For my upcoming rig in a couple of months, I can't find any info on which SATA cables are best. I'll have 2HDD's and 2 optical drives, and probably use a Gigabyte X38 motherboard, unless the X48's are out by then. So, I have read that the angled cables are very good, but there are Right and Left angles, angle to angle, straight to angle, straight to straight. Is it best to put the angled end on the HDD's or mobo? Will Left or Right angle mess me up? Then thee's the more important question of which exact cable configuration is best and neatest. Also, for a full tower case like TT Armor, NZXT Zero, or some other, will the 18" be long enough, or should I go for the 24" and hide excess cable in an unused drive by? Thanks all for reading and hopefull posting back. Should this topic be in the New Build section? Seems like this area is busy, and with lots of very knowledgeable people.

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
In all my years.. A cable is a cable. Its the same connector on one end as the other and makes not diff either way... With a few exceptions to "high performance cables".. (kinda a joke if you ask me). Get the cables that will fit for you situation. Maybe your video card covers part of your sata ports so you need a angled cable.

also get the shorter cables as the data has less to travel and less chance of interfearence from other places.

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like I should wait until the parts get here, see if the cables with the mobo are ok, and if not order then. Thanks, All!

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
The only meaningul difference between the straight and angled cables is exactly that, one is straight and the other is angled.

Depending on the interior of your case and how crowded it may or may not be and how fussy you may or may not be about neatly arranged cables/case interiors, the choice is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.