blofeld

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Hi all. I've just finished building a new PC with a Q6600 G0, and everything is running great. However, CPU-Z is identifying my Q6600 with a 6 multiplier, a frequency of 1603.7, and a bus speed of 1069. I assumed this was because of Speedstep, so I disabled it in BIOS and CPU-Z still reads everything the same. Is the processor damaged, or is CPU-Z wrong, or is there just something I'm not getting(probably).

Thanks for any help.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I was just about to say the same thing. I had to reboot and get into the BIOS because I couldn't remember what it was called but yes you need to disable EIST as well as C1E.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You don't have to. When the CPU needs more it will jump to the higher clocks. It's to save power and less heat. I leave mine on and I am overclocked quite a bit. When I'm cruzin the forums I don't need power. Run Orthos to see what it really is at at max speeds. While your at it, DL Coretemp for real coretemps.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

Some motherboards and CPU's don't handle it very well. I would say leave it on and if you have stability issues then turn it off. I for one can overclock much higher stable with it disabled.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I pulled this from my other post. Tests made on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6.

BIOS Setting: EIST Enabled C1E Disabled
In XP you need to set Control Panel -> Power Options -> Minimal Power Requirements to enable EIST.
EIST only works with the stock frequency - no overclock.
It will adjust the multiplier and Vcore.
It will adjust only the multiplier if the Vcore is set to manual in the BIOS.
Right click My Computer and click Properties will give a current snapshot of the CPU frequency under the General Tab.

BIOS Setting: C1E Enabled EIST Disabled
No settings in XP are required.
It will work at stock frequency and overclock frequencies.
It will adjust the multiplier and Vcore at the stock frequency.
It will adjust only the multiplier if overclocked or the Vcore is set to manual in the BIOS.
Right click My Computer and click Properties will NOT give a current snapshot of the CPU frequency under the General Tab.

As AUsch30 said, leave it on unless you have stability problems. I have a Q6600 G0 with an OC of 3G/1333 and no problems leaving it on.