easiest motherboard oc interface for a newb ocer

bechidow

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Hi im building my first computer and ordering my parts come monday. I want to oc my cpu and maybe a few other things after i get it built. But i dont want to burn everything up. Is there such thing as a newb ocing motherboard. Or maybe one that will warn me or just not accept something im trying to do if it knows it will hurt your components. If not i guess if thiers one with a real easy ocing interface screen i could probably take it from there.
Ty for any help that you can give.

Google overclocking and go from there.

bechidow

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Ok ty Mondo. I dont know much about this stuff at all. Im putting my 1st build together and just tyring to have it go as smoothly as possible.
Are thier any boards that are just plain easier to work with than others then?

Yes there are.

Any of the new P45 boards from ASUS are great OCers that do not require a degree to OC. Prices range from 100 - 250 or so. I recommend the P5Q pro if you are on a budget, or the Rampage Formula for an extra $100 or so.

Mondoman

Splendid
Don't take any one person's opinion as gospel -- read through the forums and look for problem reports with each of the boards you are considering. You'll be able to get a pretty good idea of what the situation is. In your case, I'd go with a MB that's been out at least 3 or 4 months, so the bugs have been worked out and a good stable BIOS is available. Let someone else deal with new-model problems.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
The easiest motherboards to OC are DFI Lanparty DK X48.

errr..j/k.

From my own experience, I found that Nvidia 650i and 750i are easy to OC. Unlinked ram is probably the one of the best BIOS option to help new overclockers. Because 650i and 750i are budget Sli boards, they typically have detune BIOS, with less options for overclocking. Less options to play with means less chance of screw up.

You should first decide if you want Sli, Xfire or neither. That will help you make the correct chipset choice.

But as Mondo said, don't take our opinion as gospel. Do the research, read reviews of motherboards that you are considering. Make your own decisions from the reviews.