Sign in with
Your question

64GB SDD vs 74GB Raptor, Help Please?

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2009 9:24:56 PM

I currently have a Raptor 74GB for my OS.
Im thinking of changing to an 64GB SDD but the thing is i actually dont know too much about them!

Here are the biggest reasons why i wanna change over:
-Supposedly faster
-Quieter?
-Im gona convert to Linux and consider Windows 7 beta (less space consuming)

Things that are holding me back:
-Ive heard raptors can easily compare to any SDD out there, but it wasnt a reliable source
-I actually dont know if its quieter, just assumed
-Not cheap enough to just try out, =)

Main things i wanna consider is NOISE LEVEL & READ/WRITE SPEED.

Side questions:
-If SDD is the way to go, should i get PCIe, sata... other?
-Alternatives to make my HDD quieter?
-Do you think my 500GB 7.2krpm HDD makes much audible noise?
-Also, i have a fan-like sound humming but im 100% sure its not a fan sound because i tested all the fans. What is it and how do i fix it?

More about : 64gb sdd 74gb raptor

February 1, 2009 10:09:27 PM

Yes it's quieter (SSD = Solid State drive)
Faster (depends on which SSD and what test)

-There is no PCIe SSD I know of, they're just like HDD's SATA, SCSI, IDE.
-Some cloth wrapped around it (make sure it's not hot), there's silencers for the entire case for sale.
-Why do I think? Do you have it? If you have it why don't you use your own ears?
-Need more info. (could be speakers and interference)
February 2, 2009 12:09:34 AM

can you be a bit more specific about "depends on which sdd"? what are the different types that would effect how fast it is?

i saw a PCIe SDD for sale on tigerdirect in the same category. perhaps it was for something else.

i do have it but im sorta too lazy to take it out of the case while its on :p  its right next to my raptor so its hard to tell. but after u said that i realized how lazy i am and im just gona check now, haha.

i tested speakers just now, not that. intereference?
the humming noise i suspect is the HDD, but do HDD's still make noise when ur idle?

thanks for the help so far!
Related resources
February 2, 2009 5:52:04 AM

It depends on the brand. Some brands have complete crap SSDs and other brands have phenomenal ones.

I've been doing research on which are the best ones that will give you the speeds they advertise. The hands down winner in SSDs is Intel, however they also have the price tag to go along with that: around $400 for the 32GB model.

The other two brands I have been looking at are OCZ and Patriot. It seems that the performance of both of these brands is very similar (something around 150 read and 80 write.) What makes these attractive is the price, with the 64GB version of each being currently around $160.

In the end though, you should try and read reviews on what you're interested in buying and see if it's for you, because no one can tell you what is going to be right for you.
February 2, 2009 5:49:13 PM

sweet, thanks for the heads up. really appreciate it. ill definitely keep doing my research.
February 2, 2009 11:07:12 PM

xaelee said:
I currently have a Raptor 74GB for my OS.
Im thinking of changing to an 64GB SDD but the thing is i actually dont know too much about them!

Here are the biggest reasons why i wanna change over:
-Supposedly faster ---- Depends
-Quieter? ---- Yes, its completely silent.
-Im gona convert to Linux and consider Windows 7 beta (less space consuming) -- Windows 7 took 16 gigs on my ~80 WD.

Things that are holding me back:
-Ive heard raptors can easily compare to any SDD out there, but it wasnt a reliable source --- It depends greatly on which SDD you're talking about. Not the new ones. Plus, a hard drive has an access time 12 ms or 6ms on the raptor. A solid state drive has a seek time of between 0ms and 1 ms. This makes your computer seem very responsive.

-I actually dont know if its quieter, just assumed. ---It is definatly quieter.

-Not cheap enough to just try out, =) -- Way more expensive for a good one. Intel makes the best drive but its 2x as expensive as others. Memoright is another good brand which was just recently ousted by Intel. Intel's secret was to implement an internal RAID Array in the drive itself thus greatly increasing the throughput.
Many other brands have great read speed but only soso write speed. A few old models have both terrible read speed and terrible write speed. Alot of folks claim that they experience mini lock ups where the systems seems to hang for just a second or two and then starts running again. That seems to be a common complaint among people who buy the cheaper ones.

-If SDD is the way to go, should i get PCIe, sata... other? ----- SATA II. The best SSD drives would bottle neck USB 2. USB 2 uses alot of CPU cycles. Fire wire is only external. SATA II is internal and external and works on desktops and in laptops. A few benchmarks have shown a mild performance decrease runnng a SATA II memoright drive through a SATA I interface. A new laptop may still have SATA I.

-Alternatives to make my HDD quieter? -- rubber gaskets on the mounting screws. A decent sound proof case.

-Do you think my 500GB 7.2krpm HDD makes much audible noise? --- Not really. A new velociraptor would be noisier. Compared to 5 years ago all drives are cooler and quieter.

-Also, i have a fan-like sound humming but im 100% sure its not a fan sound because i tested all the fans. What is it and how do i fix it? ---- The HD spinning? You need to isolate vibration. A sheet metal or aluminum case with high rpm devices stuck in it with plain screws will vibrate the entire system. Dump high rpm 80 mm fans for low rpm 120's. Put boots on the mounting points for anything that has moving parts. Find a quiet PSU and a quiet CPU cooler. Get a quiet case. Thicker metal is better for sound. Some cases have acoustic foam linings.
February 3, 2009 7:05:13 PM

thanks for your reply!

it seems like SDD is the way to go for my main drive in the near future, but not just yet.

as for the humming... im starting to think its the noise from my cpu fan hitting the grills of the heatsink... i just didnt think fans because it was a consistent noise when my fans are on max and when theyre at minimum. could i be right? wrong? i cant really pin-point the source, this is just a guess.
February 5, 2009 1:13:21 PM

bonanzaguy said:
What makes these attractive is the price, with the 64GB version of each being currently around $160.

I'm curious where you're finding a 64gb ocz for about 160$. Newegg is the cheapest I could find @ 680, with the 32gb running 300$.

I've been contemplating running a single 32gb for a fresh vista64 boot drive. At 300 however it makes me think that maybe the Dual Velicoraptors in Raid 0 would be a more viable alternative. Thoughts?

edit:
Ahh I see. MLC vs SLC. Interesting.

OCZ Solid Series OCZSSD2-1SLD60G 2.5" 60GB - 126
OCZ Core Series V2 OCZSSD2-2C60G 2.5" 60GB - 161.99

Other than the minor i/o speed differences and the usb 2.0 mini ports is there a difference between the two?

If not Dual 1SLD60G's in raid 0 looks to be quite the value, much cheaper than a 150GB dual velociraptor setup. The money saved could easily purchase a data storage disk.

I see there have been some issues with the MLC installations, but for the most part they seem pretty easy to iron out with the proper updates and tweaks. The write issues don't seem to be a huge deal for a boot sector/game drive.
!