Sign in with
Your question

24" LCD & 8800GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2008 7:12:18 PM

Ok, I'm thinking about taking a MASSIVE monitor size leap. Right now I have a 17" Square Samsung SyncMaster 710N. Nice little monitor that did me very good over the past few years. I have my eye on this though....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Great reviews and the amount of connectors is a massive plus, in other words, this thing is going to replace the 24" Tube TV in my room as well. (hopefully it'll sell to make some money on its way out). But the most critical thing is that it runs at 1920x1200. I have an 8800GT @ 700/990 and a E2180 @ 3Ghz. Will this have the horsepower to play say, HL2 full bore or say Hellgate London full bore at those resolutions. Not only that but do all games from say HL2 and beyond support this resolution, I do NOT want to play at any other res than Native res. Good example would be Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Anything above 1280x1024 is not listed as a selectable res, but is this because the driver is reading this from my monitor? Right now I can pick this 24" monster for $350 AR, but I wanted to clear out some questions before handing over the cash.

More about : lcd 8800gt

January 30, 2008 7:42:49 PM

I have a Dell 2407HC and love it, my 7900GT runs HL2 perfectly on that res so you wont have a problem on a 8800GT...

Its more than likely most games will detect your monitor and only give you selections that your monitor will display but dont hold me to that. Most games ive played recently, C&C3 HL2 Crysis UT04 all have 1920x1200 support.

I would suggest looking at the dell 2407, its rumoured to have ghosting issues but i havent seen it, it also has a full range of connections on an 8bit panel. there is also supposed to be a 2408 around the corner?
January 30, 2008 7:50:39 PM

The dell monitor is truly an amazing monitor, but you might want to wait till the 2408s are out...

I'd personally stay away from Westys if you like to play FPS games though. I myself recently bought a 24" DoubleSight monitor (based off the same panel that the DELL 2407WFP uses). It's pretty nice.. I have a review of it at:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=119646514...

I go over HG:L, TF2, CS:S, and WoW in my review.

You also might want to check out www.tftcentral.co.uk for more info on other monitors (if you're interested in one, the administrator, Simon, gets on about every day or so and would most likely review some basic info on it for you) or http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
Related resources
January 30, 2008 7:52:20 PM

Heh, thanks for the suggestion, it is indeed a great monitor, the only defect is that it's missing a roughly $300 Rebate :p  I was thinking of spending no more than $400 Which is why that Westinghouse caught my eye, and the connectors, and the reviews. But that dell does look wild.
January 30, 2008 8:07:54 PM

There's a reason you pay that price...

Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a westinghouse panel (TV or monitor)
January 30, 2008 8:11:12 PM

Looks pretty good to me for the price. I'm getting a 42" Visio LCD TV to hook my computer into next week but it is $860 with shipping.

The thing I like about the TV is I can surf on one side while my son watches TV on the other side. And when he is in school I'll have alot of monitor all for myself.

In May I'm gonna get a projector for a 10 foot screen and turn it into a touch screen via the Nintendo WII remote hack.
January 30, 2008 8:20:04 PM

Quote:
Great reviews and the amount of connectors is a massive plus, in other words, this thing is going to replace the 24" Tube TV in my room as well. (hopefully it'll sell to make some money on its way out). But the most critical thing is that it runs at 1920x1200. I have an 8800GT @ 700/990 and a E2180 @ 3Ghz. Will this have the horsepower to play say, HL2 full bore or say Hellgate London full bore at those resolutions.
W/o a doubt, those games will run fine at 1920x1200 with a single card. *edit*DX10 mode of Hellgate may struggle a little, but I only say that because I'm not entirely sure of Hellgates DX10 performance at higher resolutions.

Quote:
Good example would be Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Anything above 1280x1024 is not listed as a selectable res, but is this because the driver is reading this from my monitor?

That is likely the case, but it's really up to the game as to whether or not it supports that specific resolution. Although, there are often registry tweaks, etc. that will allow you to force the game to run in your native res. (I had to use this for WCIII)

Quote:
Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a westinghouse panel (TV or monitor)
I have to agree. They're ok for office use (even then, I've had screens start to burn out), but not very appealing for gaming.

Look, the 245BW for $409.99 after $50.00 MIR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Honestly, I think you'd like this a lot more than the Westinghouse. I use it on a daily basis and love it to death. I game and watch videos on it all the time and I never have to worry about ghosting with the fast response time. Soon I will be watching Blu-ray / HD-DVD's on it once I get my player.... muhahah. Anyways, the choice is yours, but I still recommend against the Westinghouse. :) 

January 30, 2008 8:50:57 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
get a projector for a 10 foot screen and turn it into a touch screen via the Nintendo WII remote hack.

Interesting, ill have to investigate that. ^
|

Unfortunately I have to agree with the others, I would buy the best monitor for $400.. Not the biggest.

I have found that when it comes to monitors money is the difference; you get what you pay for.
January 30, 2008 8:54:57 PM

If you get that monitor you'll need to buy a HDMI to DVI Cable for digital.
January 30, 2008 9:18:54 PM

if everybody kept waiting for something better to come out then nobody would buy anything
January 30, 2008 10:14:27 PM

The 8800GT is the best bang for the buck right now, and will play almost any game except Crysis at 1920 x 1200. My favorite monitor is the Hanns G 28". Regardless of what some of the less informed reviews say, this monitor blows away anything in the under $1000 price range. It makes my Samsung 22" look pathetic both in size and image quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 30, 2008 11:12:28 PM

LoL easy down guys, I'm a poor student with all the perks and bills that come with a new truck ( It's a 06 toyota tacoma that I plan on keeping until the end of time). I was able to horde some money in the time I did work full time out of school, but not too much, so $400 is the max. That Samsung seems to be very nice, afterall the samsung I have now is great, but I was planning on having it replace my TV as well. And the viewsonic only has 1 DVI and 1 Analog. But now I'm mixed about the westinghouse because everyone here says No, but all the EggHeads say they love it for their gaming machines....hmm damn, back to square one...
January 31, 2008 1:55:47 AM

Dells E248WFP is in your price range also and supposed to be great for the price

As for cons i assume you mean this "No USB or card readers, poor color and brightness performance in very dark areas, gross usability problems"
you wont notice usb or card reader. Poor colour will have to do with the gamut which is probably because its a TN panel but you shouldnt notice to badly. Brightness you can turn up, but will increase "bleeding" meaning you wont get the blackest blacks. Gross usability problems is a bit vague
January 31, 2008 12:01:39 PM

Hmm, I actually crossed that monitor in my massive search of monitors. I remember it being on one of the 10 tabs I had open in IE...But the more I look at these things, I'm wondering do you think it would be worth it to hold out for a bigger price drop, say even until black friday comes around? Or do you guys think that the prices pretty much leveled out, and at the best will stay as they are, maybe even go up?
January 31, 2008 12:20:39 PM

I would wait til you can affor a 32"+ 1080p lcd tv. I hear Westinghouse has terrible support.
January 31, 2008 12:35:53 PM

What I think I have noticed is if you dont get the high end monitors like Dell 2407HC(VERY nice monitor, but just out of my price range) recommended, all of them have have a nice share of RMA complaint's including the SAMSUNG 245BW which more people said had worse viewing angle's, backlight bleeding, but not as many RMA's. I know if I do decide the Westy as a choice I'm taking a fair chance of a lemon unit. But the user's response is very convincing...Not only that it's really the only monitor that can replace my TV and my current monitor, I know I could at the least get $100 for my 24" Flat tube TV, and another $100 for my 17" Square Samsung SyncMaster 710N(Checked the Bay and usually just above $100 was the ending price). Paired with the $50 Rebate that would essentially bring the price to $150 for a 24" Monitor. And I believe I can maybe get $150 for my TV, it's literally like brand new and puts out a nice picture. I know I would have to get the DVI-HDMI adapter for my PC connection(About $10~$15) as well as a TV/card to watch TV(Which I hardly do anyways, so I might even just drop TV portion.)
January 31, 2008 1:46:01 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
I would wait til you can affor a 32"+ 1080p lcd tv. I hear Westinghouse has terrible support.

I dont think my video card could handle the native resolution of a 32", but even more so my wallet couldn't handle all that monitor :p  But are you trying to say prices will drop on the LCD market a little bit more in 08?
January 31, 2008 2:00:30 PM

Do yourself a favor and shoot for the 245bw. It's a great monitor.. and the panel difference will make pretty much everything you do on it (especially movies/tv) better than the westy.

Look for slick deals on the 245bw... whatever you need to do... but don't buy a westy.

Actually, this seems to be like a good alternative.. only thing is the limit of inputs, which seems to be a need of yours:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=22986...
January 31, 2008 2:03:20 PM

I'm reading this whole thing as well about TN panels and S-PVA panel. If I understood correctly the S-PVA are true 8-bit color panels while the TN panels are 6-bit with dithering? I was just curious, is my SyncMaster 710N a TN panel? If so then my eye's already have the familiarity of a TN monitor so I could probably take a hit there.
January 31, 2008 2:16:16 PM

I have a similar setup (E2160 @ 3.1 GHz) and a 650/950 MHz 8800GT. It runs HL2 perfectly on my 24" LG LCD monitor.
January 31, 2008 2:18:48 PM

Quote:
I dont think my video card could handle the native resolution of a 32", but even more so my wallet couldn't handle all that monitor :p  But are you trying to say prices will drop on the LCD market a little bit more in 08?
Native res of a 32" 1080p TV is only 1900x1080. :p  (Hence the 1080 part of 1080p) So it's actually lower than the resolution of a 24" LCD Monitor.

If you need an HDMI input, just pay $5 for a DVI -> HDMI converter and stick it on the monitor. You won't lose any quality and it can still double as a fully HD TV. I would recommend against HD TV's as a monitor because you may see ghosting if the quality of the TV is too low. This will result in a terrible experience anytime there is a lot of action or movement on the screen. Also, the refresh rate on some LCD TV's is below 60Mhz. That means that maximum FPS you will get is >60, if that matters to you.
January 31, 2008 2:29:13 PM

nmathew said:
I have a similar setup (E2160 @ 3.1 GHz) and a 650/950 MHz 8800GT. It runs HL2 perfectly on my 24" LG LCD monitor.

Do you have a model #/price for that LG, opinions, pros, cons? And in the end if I do get a 24" I'm going to play HL2 from beginning to Episode 2 all over for the experience. Not only that I think a 24" could give me a nice little edge in my RTS's, it's a pain scrolling all over when things get crazy.
January 31, 2008 2:55:39 PM

Hello there. I didn't check other poeple answer, but here's my 2 cents.

I just upgraded to a Samsung 245BW at 1920*1200 resolution and I have a BFG OC2 8800GT at 675/1950 mem. My cpu is a C2D E6600 @ 3.0 GHz, so pretty close to what you have. I forgot, 4GB mem.

Right now I'm plaing Bioshock on Vista 64-bit with Dx10 enabled, so much more VPU hungry than HL2 Ep2, and I get 60fps average, and never lower then 30fps in very few occasions. I didn't enabled AA, but believe me, it isn't needed at such high resolution anyway. I also just finished CoD4 with everything maxed up and was also getting 60+ fps with low at 45 fps during intense action scene.

To resume, you'll be happy with it until you'll play Crysis with anything higher then med or (if very lucky) high setting.
January 31, 2008 3:51:31 PM

I now have my eye on this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

But now it's missing a lot of the inputs, so since I'm back up to $390 and less inputs, should I bite the Samsung 245BW? It's $410 AR...

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do, I remember passing that nice article before, but never in depth...Thanks.
January 31, 2008 4:41:52 PM

In my opinion, the Samsung is better than the Acer, but to an extent, that is a matter of perception. The Samsung 245BW does use a TN panel as I remeber, but I'm not sure that TN panels deserve all the bad press that they get. Again, its a matter of whether YOU lke it or not, not what someone else thinks. If you can, go to a Circuit City or Best Buy, take a look at several monitors, and figure out what you like in features and color quality, etc. Then use that information to go shopping at Newegg.
January 31, 2008 4:55:17 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, the Samsung is better than the Acer, but to an extent, that is a matter of perception. The Samsung 245BW does use a TN panel as I remeber, but I'm not sure that TN panels deserve all the bad press that they get.
They do use a TN panel, and everyone complains about the viewing angle it offers. Personally, it's never a problem for me. Like Sailer said though, you need to find what looks good to you.

Quote:
If you can, go to a Circuit City or Best Buy, take a look at several monitors, and figure out what you like in features and color quality, etc. Then use that information to go shopping at Newegg.
This is some of the best advice so far. Just note this - At Best Buy, at least on the one near me, they run every single monitor (regardless of size and native res) at 1280x1024. This will obviously not allow widescreen and 22"+ monitors to fully show their quality.
January 31, 2008 5:25:31 PM

Oh shoot.. it does use a TN panel... I was thinking it was a S-IPS panel...

huh...
January 31, 2008 5:31:07 PM

Yeah, when you see a monitor that's a lot cheaper, there's usually a reason for it. But as for the viewing angle being only 160/160 instead of 178/178, its never bothered me. And the color staruation, etc is good enough for my eyes. So that stuff ends up a personal thing. One person likes it, another doesn't.
January 31, 2008 5:48:19 PM

Soyo makes a nice 24" P-MVA montior that is only $350ish. I just bought myself one and a friend swears by them.

Here is my friends desk (he maybe a member here):
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 31, 2008 5:51:48 PM

<is waiting for the Dell 2408WFP to be released
January 31, 2008 7:40:01 PM

Actually I just found this thread:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1227542

it's a 24" Soyo for $300 At circuit city and various online retailers...But It's missing the ports and has quite a few funky symptoms from buzzing loudly to whole lines of screen blanking out, and some choppy movie performance....So I'll pass since I'm only spending $50 more.
January 31, 2008 7:49:20 PM

sailer said:
Yeah, when you see a monitor that's a lot cheaper, there's usually a reason for it. But as for the viewing angle being only 160/160 instead of 178/178, its never bothered me. And the color staruation, etc is good enough for my eyes. So that stuff ends up a personal thing. One person likes it, another doesn't.

Reasons for cheap panels - and against them being so cheap.. it's not so obvious. the cheap ones (TN) paradoxically have the fastest gr-gr times. No other (more expensive screens) can do 2ms- Its half dozen one and six of t'other. or swings and roundabouts - if you prefer.
Ryan.
January 31, 2008 8:40:41 PM

i have the 24in westinghouse and i am very happy witht eh way it turned out. my 8800gt clocked at 715/1750/1000. i run crysis all high @1920x1080 no aa or af and its smooth 95% of the time. cod4 runs all high 2xaa 8xaf online great @ 1920x1200. plays all games great for me. the component and hdmi inputs are great for xbox or ps3's and the composite rca plugs are great to hook up a vcr to use as a tv tuner if you dont have HDTV.
February 1, 2008 12:20:47 AM

bwdsmart said:
i have the 24in westinghouse and i am very happy witht eh way it turned out. my 8800gt clocked at 715/1750/1000. i run crysis all high @1920x1080 no aa or af and its smooth 95% of the time. cod4 runs all high 2xaa 8xaf online great @ 1920x1200. plays all games great for me. the component and hdmi inputs are great for xbox or ps3's and the composite rca plugs are great to hook up a vcr to use as a tv tuner if you dont have HDTV.

Ahh, this makes me feel good, I actually couldn't take it, I purchased the Westy and bought the HDMI-DVI cable for another $6 + shipping. Let's see how lady luck treats me, I hope I don't get a lemon, it would be a massive buzzkill. I'm keeping my hopes low so that maybe I can score high when I see it. This is literally going to be 80% Gaming RTS/FPS mix, 10% console 10% movies. Not only that hopefully It'll still be kickin around 5+ years from now.
February 1, 2008 1:38:45 AM

I think I'm late but I'll say that I have both 22" monitors, a Samsung and a Wastinghouse. I don't mind playing on either, both monitors work great but the Samsung is brighter. I think it's because it's newer.
If you mind about prices I'll say that I got the Westy as a gift about 15 months ago, it was $400. I bought the Samsung last year's Black friday for $200.
February 1, 2008 2:11:21 AM

The problem with the westy's is not now, but in the future-

One of the consumer boards did a "test" on the repair options on out of warranty panels.

The vizio, westy, olivia and most of the other "2nd tier" mfrs could not even fix their products after they were out of their short (one year) warranties.

Not fix at great cost, but not at all.

Again, you get what you pay for.

I have had both Dell and HP monitors at 20", 22", 24", and now a Hanns G 28". All had 3 year warranties, vs the 1 on the 2nd tier producers.

Good luck!
February 1, 2008 2:41:13 AM

Granite3 said:
The problem with the westy's is not now, but in the future-

One of the consumer boards did a "test" on the repair options on out of warranty panels.

The vizio, westy, olivia and most of the other "2nd tier" mfrs could not even fix their products after they were out of their short (one year) warranties.

Not fix at great cost, but not at all.

Again, you get what you pay for.

I have had both Dell and HP monitors at 20", 22", 24", and now a Hanns G 28". All had 3 year warranties, vs the 1 on the 2nd tier producers.

Good luck!

LoL Thanks for the morale support! But ya....hopefully lady luck is going to ride shotgun for at least a few years. My samsung has had a deadpixel for 3+ years now so I can deal with something like that. But I just don't want the thing to take a dump and call it quits.

Not only that, that Soyo 24" for $300...There was a guy I read on that thread I posted going through his 4th exchanges for a 'good' one. The majority said it had a humming and lines of screen going black and other problems. So that was def a pass. But then again for $300 no rebates no nothing seems like a crooked deal anyways. At least my westy retailed at the egg for $420.
February 1, 2008 11:21:59 AM

Quote:
LoL Thanks for the morale support! But ya....hopefully lady luck is going to ride shotgun for at least a few years. My samsung has had a deadpixel for 3+ years now so I can deal with something like that. But I just don't want the thing to take a dump and call it quits.
My Westy just burned the screen wayyyy to easy. I even set the brightness to "economy" which is just about the lowest it will go. Even then, after an hour of CS:S, I could exit the game and literally see the HUD still burned into the screen. (It was a faint yellowish outline that was visible on any white / gray backgrounds.) The only way to get rid of it was to power the monitor off and unplug it for about an hour. Eventually, I just gamed to much and the pixels started to lose their colors where the hud was... oh well, I probably just got the lemon. :p 

February 1, 2008 1:40:14 PM

rgeist554 said:
Quote:
My Westy just burned the screen wayyyy to easy. I even set the brightness to "economy" which is just about the lowest it will go. Even then, after an hour of CS:S, I could exit the game and literally see the HUD still burned into the screen. (It was a faint yellowish outline that was visible on any white / gray backgrounds.) The only way to get rid of it was to power the monitor off and unplug it for about an hour. Eventually, I just gamed to much and the pixels started to lose their colors where the hud was... oh well, I probably just got the lemon. :p 

Thanks for the heads up,especially something like that, I can see that being a problem with my RTS's I'm going to run it through the mill the first week or two before I even think about cutting the UPC off for the rebate. But once I get it I'm going to inform how the install and performance etc goes... If all seems well after the 2 weeks my sammy is going to the bay and I'm going to try and sell my TV somehow...After all it was just a 24" flat tube, did me good though.
February 2, 2008 11:15:06 PM

bildo123 said:
Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40125078&source=EW...

If so something seems really odd, 24" only $290? Is this amazing or a catch?

Thats not the one, different model number
DYLM24D6 is the one I am talking about.

I have seen quite a few reviews praising it and I hate [H] for the most part... so
February 5, 2008 2:34:47 AM

We'll I finally got and setup my Westy L2140NM. First impression, very nice (borat). So I began testing like crazy. I plugged my PS2 through composite and quite ugly. I expected it to be ugly but geez composite/ps2/lcd monitor was never meant to be. Feels like im playing PSX. But that's alright since I dont console that much anyways. Hooked up the xbox through component. Not to shabby. Games came in I would say so-so, playable without too much eyestrain. Very nice if a game supports any HD though. Lastly and most important the PC through HDMI. Very very nice, very bright, but I don't have a problem with the default brightness, alhough I tried the other brightness settings and recieved the dreaded humming noise....kind of made me mad, but then again I'm always going to have it at 100% brightness anyways.(Doesn't hum at 100%. FPS type games look great, very nice, impressive. I noticed the colors/blacks/everything looks a little more vibrant than my samsung 710N. For my fav RTS I can say im a little dissapointed, but it's not the monitors fault, more so the games fault. The game being Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. It DOES support 1920x1200, but honostly it was not what I expected. I expected everything to be nice and tiny with a much larger view of the map. Instead everything just scaled to the screen and the menu's are actually a little stretched. So now the units/building/everything appears way bigger instead of the opposite. Like I said though, game's fault. I would give it a 4/5 because of the humming/brightness setting for those that don't like it full blast. Also because the quality of the inputs. But then again I thinks its a console displaying on something not-a-tv type of problem. So in a way I COULD have it replace my flat tube TV, but the loss of picture sharpness is maybe enough to keep the tube around and maybe decide when I get to play a full console game on the screen. Other than that this monitor is great,I can have a bunch more windows open/multitask and overall I'm glad with the purchase. Not bad for $350.
February 7, 2008 2:17:07 PM

Update, just found out about the 'normal' aspect ratio option in the OSD. Now the consoles look awesome, not the ol' flat tube can go up for sale.
!