Hard disk stops pc from powering up

gwiz1987

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
:hello:
woke up this morn very excited about my brand new HDD - seagate 1.5TB, which just arrived this morn

one MAJOR problem though, when i plugged it in, i didn't get any power going through the system. :fou: i removed it and restarted and the power returned.

when the seagate is in, the fans and lights activate for a millisecond seconds. then the pc dies. i then gotta turn off the psu then turn it on again cos even if i remove the seagates power cable, it wont start.

i tried different combinations cos i was thinking it was probably the psu. but even when its only the cpu, mobo and seagate plugged in, it still dies. this doesnt occur when i plug in my usual hdd with the os on it.

has anyone had this problem before?

the psu i have is a HIgh power HPC-620-A12C. 620W

hexhiss

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
have you tried switching the power indicator on the back of the power module? This is the red switch that has 115v and 230v or some variation- try switching to the 230v and power up

gwiz1987

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
nah, dont have that on the psu. im sure thats not the reason why cos it boots fine when i dont have the sata power cable hooked into the seagate

If your system works with the old drive, but is completely dead with the new drive, and works when you reinstall the old drive,

AND your PSU is adequate,

Then there is something wrong with the new drive.

Not unusual. The PSU comes up long enough for the protection circuits to detect an overload (probably on the 12 volt line), then the protection circuits electronically shut the PSU down. Turning the PSU off, then on resets the circuits (probably an SCR involved somewhere).