Sign in with
Your question

GTX or GTS 512?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2008 7:54:52 PM

hi,
i work with dell 27 1920x1200.
what to get? GTX or GTS 512?
i'm going to buy a 680 or 780 MB so i can go SLI. i do not need 3way coz i need money to eat...
these is y i think about the 680.(asus striker Extreem or BFG 680i or Gigabyte's- you can recmmend on that too).

i thought about buying 1 VGA card now & one later this year when the prices will go down more.

the pc is for gaming.

the GTS 512 is cheaper but probably in a year from now i'll be able to get one.
the GTX is stronger for this resolution for all i know, & i think it will be hard to get in a year from now...

what do you think guys?

thanks!

Dor.

More about : gtx gts 512

January 30, 2008 8:04:08 PM

GTS512, becaise it gives out less heat and takes a lot less power.

Performs as well as GTX anyway.

I wouldnt reccomend either of the motherbaords, if you can go for the X38 since its a lot more solid.
January 30, 2008 8:08:20 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt reccomend either of the motherbaords, if you can go for the X38 since its a lot more solid.
No SLI on X38 though.

The GTS 512MB cheaper than the GTX and performs almost as well, if not better in some benchmarks. (As said before, it's also cooler and requires less power)

Now, the best SLI solution would be a 780i board (if you're going to use a 45nm chip) otherwise you can go 680i, and two 8800GT's. It performs well at the resolution you want while allowing you to still have some money to eat. :) 
Related resources
January 30, 2008 8:12:08 PM

i like X38 more, i love intel's chipsets...
but with x38 i woudn't have SLI...
so i better of with a P35-DS3R.
but for my resolution single card will not do the job for high settings in games.

& crossfire is not supported in all games. some game crashes...
otherwise in the same amout of the asus striker extreem & the GTX i can get GB x38-DQ6 + 2x3870. but Crossfire is not as good as sli when it comes to capability.
there is no problem with SLI in games. with CF there is some games that will not run or cannot support CF...

AMD ruined ATI... for my opinion....

January 30, 2008 8:20:37 PM

Here's my solution:

eVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB and step up to the 9800 GTX when it comes out.
January 30, 2008 8:22:25 PM

what will i do with the GTS??? there is now good 2nd hand sells here at israel...
January 30, 2008 8:27:45 PM

z_dori said:
what will i do with the GTS??? there is now good 2nd hand sells here at israel...

Ah damn, I didn't think about that, but the eVGA stepup lets you trade in a card for a newer one. Basically you have 90 days to move up to a better card. No idea of it's offered outside the US, but if it is it's a great deal.

Otherwise, I'd get an 8800 GTS.
January 30, 2008 8:38:32 PM

Quote:
No idea of it's offered outside the US, but if it is it's a great deal.
That was my concern as well. I know the XFX warranties become extremely limited outside of the US.

Again, just go with the 8800GTS. The GTX will only make one difference. That is, you'll have less money in your pockets by the time you're done.
January 30, 2008 8:41:09 PM

cnumartyr said:
Ah damn, I didn't think about that, but the eVGA stepup lets you trade in a card for a newer one. Basically you have 90 days to move up to a better card. No idea of it's offered outside the US, but if it is it's a great deal.

Otherwise, I'd get an 8800 GTS.

say,
what LCD do you use.
can you tell me ur preformance in some games?
January 30, 2008 8:49:15 PM

z_dori said:
say,
what LCD do you use.
can you tell me ur preformance in some games?

22" 1680x1050 Monitor.

The 8800 GTX isn't THAT far ahead of the 8800 GTS in most situations until you turn on AA. In most situations they are even without AA. (This is because nVidia uses it's ROPs for AA and the GTS has 16 while the GTX has 24)

Anyways..

CoD4 I played at all max settings without a hitch.

Crysis I play on all high with no AA at 30-40 FPS easily. That is a lowball.

HL:2 engine runs maxed out no problem.

Edit: Also that OC in my sig is NOT what I use to run games, it is a benchmark OC. I use like 720 MHz for gaming.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2008 8:51:23 PM

Quote:
The GTX will only make one difference. That is, you'll have less money in your pockets by the time you're done.

Priced cheaper like for us in the USA, I'd surely go GTS too (or dual GT). But I don't agree going GTX would do nothing over the GTS 512MB. I can give you plenty of links where the GTX pulls ahead at his resolution. But that said, either card will start to struggle maxed at that res as time goes on like it does in Crysis now. So it's smart to think ahead toward dual cards or the next Gen to stay with that res.

One thought... I don't think either card will definately be available new in one year, and there will be more GTX's used than GTS 512's I'd think. But that wouldn't make me spend more on the GTX. If you find a good price later on the GTS, grab it. if instead upgrading to a better card makes sense, do that.
January 30, 2008 9:01:33 PM

Love the EVGA step-up idea, problem is that I don' t think he can step-up in Israel. Also, the release date of the 9800 GTX has not been announced (or even rumored), and may be more than 90 days away.

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2
"The EVGA Step-up™ Program is limited to residents of the Continental US, Canada and Europe only."
January 31, 2008 6:42:57 AM

i would imagine nvidia whould want to get the 9 series out asap cos of ati releasing the 3870x2
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2008 6:53:43 AM

8800GTS 512 is a good choice and performs closely to a 8800GTX and in some games it beats it (by like 1-5 FPS or a little more ) but :
http://www.hothardware.com/articles/NVIDIA_GeForce_8800...

It is little difficult to summarize the new GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB card’s performance. In games or benchmarks where fillrate and shader performance are the limiting factors, these new cards are excellent performers and can outpace even a GeForce 8800 GTX. But in situations where memory bandwidth and frame buffer size are more important, like say at high resolutions with anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled, the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB can’t quite keep up with the more expensive GTX due to its narrower memory bus and smaller frame buffer. Generally speaking though, the GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB’s performance is better than the original 640MB GTS and the relatively new 8800 GT and on-par with the GeForce 8800 GTX at lower resolutions. Crank up the resolutions, however, and the GTX (or Ultra) is still the king of the hill.
January 31, 2008 7:15:08 AM

it depends - i would go with the 512

the 8800gtx/ultras gives only slightly better performance

you be better off with 2x GTS 512

the G92 chip looks much nicer the graphics are crisper and the colors more ati like.
January 31, 2008 8:07:24 AM

z_dori said:
hi,
i work with dell 27 1920x1200.
what to get? GTX or GTS 512?
i'm going to buy a 680 or 780 MB so i can go SLI. i do not need 3way coz i need money to eat...
these is y i think about the 680.(asus striker Extreem or BFG 680i or Gigabyte's- you can recmmend on that too).

i thought about buying 1 VGA card now & one later this year when the prices will go down more.

the pc is for gaming.

the GTS 512 is cheaper but probably in a year from now i'll be able to get one.
the GTX is stronger for this resolution for all i know, & i think it will be hard to get in a year from now...

what do you think guys?

thanks!

Dor.

actually you`d be better off buyng HD3870x2 (1024MB Vram) and a asus maximus or p5k3 motherboard ...
if you hate ati and you dont like the idea of having ATI in your pc than i suggest waiting for the 9800GTX or something more faster than the ultra coming out on the 14th from nvidia.

cheers
January 31, 2008 8:18:44 AM

Yeah I'm going to go with colt's suggestion on the 3870X2. I just switched from a 7900GS to a 2900Pro and the IQ is much better on my ATI card then it ever was on the Nvidia card, in both 2d and 3d. The drivers have a lot more options than the Nvidia Vista drivers too and I can actually display in 720p instead of 1219x688 because of Nvidia overscan issues.

They can be had for $450 MSRP and there's been some good links floating around that have them for only $380. Either way you go, it's either as much or less then the GTX.
January 31, 2008 8:19:13 AM

1785484,17,302960 said:
Yeah I'm going to go with colt's suggestion on the 3870X2. I just switched from a 7900GS to a 2900Pro and the IQ is much better on my ATI card then it ever was on the Nvidia card, in both 2d and 3d. The drivers have a lot more options than the Nvidia Vista drivers too and I can actually display in 720p instead of 1219x688 because of Nvidia overscan issues.

They can be had for $450 MSRP and there's been some good links floating around that have them for only $380. Either way you go, it's either as much or less than the GTX price wise.

EDIT: SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST. You can actually get a x38 if you get the 3870X2, so that's another thing to consider.
January 31, 2008 9:03:51 AM

I have the 8800GTX and it ought to be able to handle most games at your resolution although you can pretty much rule out crysis. I play a lot of games at 2048x1536, performance varies from game to game. Personally I want more power than I have from a single GTX.

Unfortunately the game I play most doesnt support crossfire or sli so I cant gain anything by going to SLI or the 3870x2. Im hoping something with some decent power with a single gpu comes out soon.

If I were buying a new card today it would be the 512 GTS for sure the GTX is 14 month old technology and the performance difference it shows isnt worth the price bump (at least in uk prices)

You do need to make sure the games you want to play respond well to crossfire or sli before you choose your card. The 3870x2 looks good for most games that work well with crossfire at the moment, unfortunately for me with the game I play most it would be a significant step back in performance - If it could run it at all. You have to disable SLI \ crossfire in LOTRO in order to play the game properly at all...
January 31, 2008 11:16:20 AM

also just keep in mind the 780i mobo has support for pci-e 2.0 as does the 8800 GTS 512. The 780i and 680i are more or less the same price...why not just go for the 780i since it's pretty much the same chipset (just added support).

Not exactly sure the real-time performance increase however...
January 31, 2008 2:18:41 PM

i think i'll go with the 780i chipset couse of the PCIe2.0 & the better support for the 45nm CPUs.

but about the 3870x2- it's a greate card.
i love ATI! AMD ruin them!
the problem is that most games support SLI & with CF there's a lot of problems.
also- there are more problems with CF with the 3870x2.
if in the relevant future the Drivers will fix that, i'll go x38 or x48...

i saw a lot of reviews about VGA cards...
probably i'll wait a month or 2, going with the 780 & maybe a new card from Nvidia 9 series maybe if there's any...

thanks a lot guys!
January 31, 2008 2:25:55 PM

Quote:
the problem is that most games support SLI & with CF there's a lot of problems.
It goes both ways. Both are fairly new technologies and not quiet accepted by all software developers yet. That's why you see SLI performance actually get lower scores / FPS than a single card setup. This will change as developers accept dual-card setups and optimize performance for them.

Personally, I think having two cards is a headache. I'd much rather stick w/ a single card w/ dual chips or a dual-core chip (maybe in the future >_>)
!