are these temps good for this overclock?

tonyluu

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
i have a zalman cnps9700 on it with as5 using the horizontal line method for intel quad cores..

29ff3w8.jpg

nbrnr6.jpg

computer has been on for a good 5 hours and only things were on was kaspersky in background and yahoo messenger and IE browing stuff.. and those were the temps just 2 mins ago

the voltage varies from 1.30 - 1.34 just to mention

at max load while running the blend test on prime95 highest temp was core 1 at 47C after 9 hours.. which was last night lol

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
yes these are good temps for idle and your temps with prime95 is also good. you should be able to overclock it more. just keep max temps below 65 during prime95. of if you are happy with this overclock. then go into bios and lower voltages a step at a time until it is not stable then bring it back up one or 2 steps and test with prime95..

tonyluu

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
i did that.. it crashed on 1.2875 lol next one was 1.3 and i tested it last night for 9 hours went perfect

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Perfect then if you are happy with this. But you do know you can go to 1.5 and still be in intels spec's right?? I wished i had your Q6600 instead of the one i have. yours uses less voltage. if you want you can get 3.4 to 3.6 easy and maybe a little more. Good luck and good clocking

sportsfanboy

Distinguished

I assumed you understood that I was talking about 60F being that I said in his computer room. 140f plus is a little hot for humans. His coretemp of 21c however is too cold unless the room is in the low 60's or has exotic cooling, which that zalman is not.

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Physicz dose not matter what speed the fans are on you can not cool the cpu below the temperture in the room just using air or water cooling. Now if you have phase change or Pelters this is possible. sportsfanboy good catch i did not think of that but you are right.

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Yes sportsfanboy something is wrong. At this voltage i would think that the temps would be higher. I know mine are in the 30's with a overclock. and even with no over clock i think they were high 20's low 30's...

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
pcnut why cant u cool a cpu below room temp? disable all but one core, underclock it ridiculously, when the fan spins it creates cooler air and more of it on a given space (in this case cpu)

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
how can you cool something just using room air below the room temperture. fan spining dose not create cooler air it just feels cooler. think about what you are saying...

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The fans spinning faster just removes heat more quickly, that's what the windchill factor thingy means. Read the documentation authored by the designer of real temp. It clearly states (and this man has done his homework) That a core2 duo with the multiplier set to 6 and the voltage set as low as you can set it, will idle around 5 degrees above ambient temperatures. A Quad will idle around 7 degrees higher than ambient temperatures. Now this is with everything set to the absolute lowest values and all fans on high, with the side panel off.

Real temp can be calibrated, so I recommend doing that so you wont have to guess about what your temperatures are.

It's pretty easy... http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

Edit:Wow my spelling sucks, lol

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
That cool Tony, Have you looked into calibrating Realtemp? It really is your best bet to an accurate temperature reading. Speedfan can also be calibrated if you prefer that program.

tonyluu

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
i don't prefer any program i just read online reviews and stuff that real temp was most accurate on your cores D:

tonyluu

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
my comp is sitting right next to the vent anyways my vent which opens out on the floor
for some odd reasons gives like freakin 30F air out the vent if you walk by it your feet feel really cold lol and thats where my intake fans get air my room is the coldest in the house i mean i guess thats how i got low temps i mean i did make sure there was no residue with the 91% isopropyl and i put on my as5 the right way

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Ok... if you want to sort out the temperature problem, or confusion, here's what you do.

1) Move the computer away from direct heat or cold

2)Turn all your fans on high and take the side cover off

3) accurately report the ambient temperatures in the room.

4)Enter your bios and set your multiplier to 6, set the FSB to 266, and set the cpu voltage to it's lowest level possible.

5) Boot into windows and open Realtemp. then wait 15 minutes with nothing running in the background except windows it's self.

6) Now you should be idling around 5 to 7c above the ambient temperatures in that room. Too low and you need to set a +offset, too high, you will need to set a negative offset. Very easy, and now the guess work is over (down to a couple of degrees anyway). The hardest part for me was buying a thermometer, as I didn't trust the reading on the thermostat. Have at it, good luck.