How to downgrade BIOS in DOS?

vagetaqtd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I have an Asus P5k-Premium with 0504 BIOS. This new bios always causes me to have errors using Memtest even though I'm using stock memeory settings set to manual. I never had this problem with 0204 bios. Does anyone know how to downgrade the BIOS using a DOS utility such as aflash.exe or afudos.exe? I can boot from USB stick to run these programs.

Thanks in advance.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Doesn't your board have EZFlash in the BIOS? If it does just download the bios, put it on a flash/hard drive and flash it in EZFlash.

If you want to do it the hard way you can make a bootable CD (can be done with Nero Burning ROM) and flash using awdflash.exe which you can download from Asus.

Here are the steps:
1) Download the BIOS you want from Asus and download awdflash.exe
2) Make your bootable CD with the BIOS + awdflash on it
3) Boot from the CD and it'll go to some DOS screen
4) type awdflash (location of the bios)
example: awdflash 0204.bin

Now I got a memory error when I did it so I had to type:
/tiny awdflash 0204.bin

Hopefully that works for you. Good luck.

William

vagetaqtd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Asus's EZFlash won't let me downgrade BIOS, only upgrade. I tried using AFUDOS but it hangs on the bios checking stages and won't continue to writing.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Well I have no experience with an American Megatrends BIOS or AFUDOS so I am going to pass this on to someone else. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

If I find anything else out I will be sure to post it.

William

sponder

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
WilliamLEJA, i have a p5n32-e SLI as well, and need to downgrade as well.
I tried the method you described, but it wont flash saying i cant downgrade.
May i ask you which version awdflash you used?

vagetaqtd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Hey guys, after weeks of researching on how to downgrade bios on my P5k-premium or any Asus mobo with AMI bios, I have finally found a way. This method requires the Engineering Edition of AFUDOS. You can google "Afudos Engineering" to find some links to download. Here is a link I've uploaded.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/19/174415/AFUDOS229ES.zip http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/19/174415/AFUDOS236es.zip

I use the Boot USB method since its faster and more reliable.

Extract the AFUDOS onto your boot device along with your BIOS in the same directory.
use this command to flash:

AFUDOS /ixxxx.rom /pbnc /n where xxxx=name.rom

After it sucessfully flashes and verifies. Turn off your machine, unplug, and remove battery.
Easy as pie, spread the word people!!!!