Bios upgrade reduced 3d performance

Just passing along my experience in case anyone else is suffering out there. I have been posting on this forum for the last two weeks trying to figure out why I was having such dismal 3dmark scores from my spanking new 8800gt. After spending 250 bills I was extremely disappointed to see I was getting 6400 on 3dmark06.
I tried everything I could think of and received great advice from a lot of people here which I greatly appreciated. I continued to have problems but remained persistent.

Finally about a week ago a fellow crosshair mobo user told me I must be running the 0904 bios. He went throught the same thing and eventually hit upon the beta 0905 bios. He reported he was now getting mid 11000 scores.

I upgraded my bios immediately and got a big jump to 9000 3d marks. But it still seemed to be lacking..

I went and visited the asus forums and scoured any info I could find. It seems many crosshair users experienced tons of problems associated with the 0904 bios, including dead systems. I started to not feel so bad. Some users reported being able to roll back to the 0804 bios, which seems to be the most stable. I was unable to do so, after attempting for 4 days about 25 different ways. I was, as one could imagine, ready to go on a killing spree starting with my 3 month old personal confuser.

Then something occurred to me. I remember someone mentioning in a post that after updating to the 0905 bios, their ht link got reset to 1x.

So I loaded up cpu-z and low and behold, my ht speed was the same as my fsb 209 mhz!
Went into bios and changed ht link to 5x and BAM!

3dmark06: 10868

If updating your bios, make sure to check all those little settings because otherwise you may have weeks of headaches. A lot of those settings could be set to non-optimal conditions.

CROSSHAIR USERS: Do NOT update your bios above 0804, unless you specifically have to for a phenom!!! You WILL have all kinds of problems, and it is nearly impossible to revert back to previous bios. This is a known issue that ASUS has not attempted to correct, and finding information on this is difficult.

All those who assisted me, thank you very much. Nice to have a community to count on during those hair pulling, want to throw my pc out a window moments!

Now I just have to start tweaking my video card heh heh !

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Lower your motherboard FSB clock. This totally sucks, but you may need to go down to 2.6 from 3.0 Ghz. Then the PCIe links go back to to 16x.
Too difficult to install an older BIOS !
Yes, I expect more from Asus.