Explorer Address Bar Freaks Out

A helpful subject line, eh?

As it stands, I'm not sure else how to classify it.

When I try to type in the address bar of an Explorer folder (NOT IE; that
works fine), the text tries to autocomplete, but then the original name of
the folder seems to trump whatever I'm doing and my autocomplete type-ahead
is all gone.

Needless to say this is quite frustrating.

I installed a clean copy of XP on a new computer, and all was well... until
I installed -- damn! What did I install? -- something, and it seemed to
make things haywire.

I've been trying to uninstall things I installed recently, but have been
coming up empty...

Jeff
7 answers Last reply
More about explorer address freaks

    J. Knapp wrote:

    > A helpful subject line, eh?
    >
    > As it stands, I'm not sure else how to classify it.
    >
    > When I try to type in the address bar of an Explorer folder (NOT IE;
    > that works fine), the text tries to autocomplete, but then the
    > original name of the folder seems to trump whatever I'm doing and my
    > autocomplete type-ahead is all gone.
    >
    > Needless to say this is quite frustrating.
    >
    > I installed a clean copy of XP on a new computer, and all was well...
    > until
    > I installed -- damn! What did I install? -- something, and it seemed
    > to make things haywire.
    >
    > I've been trying to uninstall things I installed recently, but have
    > been coming up empty...

    > Jeff

    Apparently you installed some third-party software that is preventing
    you from using autocomplete. Unfortunately, only you can determine what
    that is. You can use System Restore to go back to a time where things
    worked properly.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    First attempt I would suggest is a system restore.
    This doesn't knock out anything in the my docs etc.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman

    Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in

    > Apparently you installed some third-party software that is preventing
    > you from using autocomplete. Unfortunately, only you can determine what
    > that is. You can use System Restore to go back to a time where things
    > worked properly.

    I was hoping perhaps someone might have seen this type of behavior before.
    Oh well.

    Since I have yet to see system restore work right and the system is only a
    week old, I'm feeling a format and better documenting what I installed
    (which is next to nothing -- undoubtedly its a Firefox extension or
    something) is in the cards.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    J. Knapp wrote:

    > Malke <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Apparently you installed some third-party software that is preventing
    >> you from using autocomplete. Unfortunately, only you can determine
    >> what that is. You can use System Restore to go back to a time where
    >> things worked properly.
    >
    > I was hoping perhaps someone might have seen this type of behavior
    > before. Oh well.
    >
    > Since I have yet to see system restore work right and the system is
    > only a week old, I'm feeling a format and better documenting what I
    > installed (which is next to nothing -- undoubtedly its a Firefox
    > extension or something) is in the cards.

    Actually, my experience with System Restore on clients' machines is
    quite good. But if you feel like wiping it and starting clean, go for
    it. Just don't connect to the Internet without a firewall and av in
    place, and this time only install one third-party item at a time and
    test after each installation so you can keep track of what you've done.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell

    Malke <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in

    > Actually, my experience with System Restore on clients' machines is
    > quite good. But if you feel like wiping it and starting clean, go for
    > it. Just don't connect to the Internet without a firewall and av in
    > place, and this time only install one third-party item at a time and
    > test after each installation so you can keep track of what you've done.

    I've done this once or twice before, have my own clients, yadda-yadda... my
    hit/miss with SR is about 50/50, but as we all know, YMMV. :)

    This malady is one I haven't come across before, and I guess I should
    have expected by posting to the ".basics" newsgroup to be treated like I'm
    a bit more clueless than I am.

    In any event, thanks for the tips.

    Jeff
  6. Hi,

    I've had the same issue for ages. I just discovered that the isssue only occurs when IE is also running. Starting IE doesnt seem to cause the issue to appear in the first place but if the isssue is already occurring then closing down all IE windows solves the problem ie. I am able to type in the Explorer address bar without the typing being cleared.

    Hope this helps!

    Adrian
  7. Hi! In my case, it was the mswinext.exe process. It`s from the MSN toolbar....totally useless for me.

    I remove it from the registry, with the msconfig utility, in the starup section.

    It fixes my problem.

Browsers Explorer Windows XP