Vista Upgrade, adding Raid 1

bchen

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hi folks,

I'm building a new HTPC and I want it to configure my two 1TB HD's in a Raid 1 array. The trouble is that I'm using a Vista Upgrade (from XP) and I don't have a floppy drive.

If I had a Vista stand-alone, it looks like it would install the raid drivers (or ask for them) as part of installation.

As it is, I can install XP on the system if I leave the HD's out of RAID, but when I try to install Vista, I don't get asked to install a raid driver.

If I go into the motherboard's config and set the HD's to RAID 1, I can't load XP.

I can't load Vista from the CD because it's an upgrade version that will only run from XP.

Am I doing something wrong? Will Vista Upgrade allow a new box to have a RAID config without using a floppy during the XP installation?

Thanks much!

Bernard

Vista Upgrade will do a clean install with nothing on the drive as MrLinux has said.
It will simply ask you to insert the XP install disk during installation to prove that you own a previous version qualifying version of Windows.
Don't lose, give away, or destroy your old XP disk, as you will need it if you ever reinstall Vista again!

bchen

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I'm making slow and small progress, but still haven't managed to install Vista with Raid 1.

1. At the point where Vista asks for an Authentication Code, I realized that I didn't have to enter a Code. Entering nothing got me to a new screen where I could install RAID drivers.

2. I had already configured my Bios to RAID previous to starting the installation. After installing the drivers, I could see an unpartitioned space of 900+GB. Attempting to install to the unpartitioned space failed.

3. It took a couple of minutes for Vista to get back to that screen, I partitioned the space, but installation still fails! The error message is that Vista can't find an installed volume on the drive. (Probably because I just created a new RAID array!)

I went through the install process a couple of times, looking for a chance to insert my XP disk, at some small cost to my lifespan. Each attempt takes 5-10 minutes as the installation process does something silent and frustratingly redundant.

So, I like the idea that Vista Upgrade will ask me for my XP disk, but I can't seem to get to that screen. Any additional advice/help? I don't want to run out and find a floppy drive...