Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Deleting a folder

Last response: in Windows XP
June 24, 2010 4:54:08 PM

Hi,
I have this folder created in my hard drive from nowhere and i cant delete it. When i try to delete it the message says, Access is denied, make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is currently not in use

More about : deleting folder

June 24, 2010 6:11:04 PM

It's probably in use by something, either reboot into safe mode and delete it (and hope it isn't important!), or post the name and location and maybe someone will recognise it.
m
l
a b 8 Security
June 24, 2010 7:38:34 PM

Right-Click on the folder, select properties then security.
There will be a list of users that may have access and permission for that folder.
Click each user one at a time and grant full control to every user on the list.
If it wants to know if you want to extend the permission to all files and sub-folders, click yes, or select all files and sub-folders as a choice if one appears.
click Ok, and now try to delete the folder.
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2010 2:57:13 PM

hey on right clicking i'm getting three tabs- General, sharing, and customize.... i cant find security.
please help me out
m
l
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2010 3:28:36 PM

Did you try deleting it in safe mode? As MrLinux said, it could be in use.

You can boot into the safe mode command prompt, and use the delete command, to delete that file path.

m
l
June 30, 2010 7:33:58 PM

Yes i tried deleting it in safe mode even before i sent you this query. but it didn't work so i turned to you
this folder is abt 6.09MB in size and has two files in it amd64 and i386. This folder was created automatically.
It is not giving me any problem at present but who knows in future it may cause many many problems...!!!
m
l
a b 8 Security
June 30, 2010 7:38:08 PM

Those are system folders.

Right click on the folder-->properties-->what's the file path? Is it a shortcut?
m
l
July 1, 2010 4:34:04 AM

the folder is in my 'D drive'. i tried renaming the folder to 'x' and then tried to delete it but couldn't.
m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 5:10:50 AM

Is your D drive a recovery partition? Optical drive? Storage?
m
l
July 1, 2010 5:38:43 AM

See i bought a 160 GB hard drive and partitioned it in four parts. C,D,E,F.
i think it is a storage drive. am i right?

m
l

Best solution

a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 6:02:43 AM

sunit_4073 said:
hey on right clicking i'm getting three tabs- General, sharing, and customize.... i cant find security.
please help me out

Is this file in a FAT32 drive? No matter... you need strong medicine.

Get "Tune-up Utilities" and use the file shredder function. It does not obey the Windows protected file system protocols.
It will delete any file, anywhere, even open files, so be careful.

You can use the trial program, it is fully functional for 15 days, long enough to get rid of that file.

Get it here:

http://www.tune-up.com/download/
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 5:31:15 PM

sunit_4073 said:
Yes i tried deleting it in safe mode even before i sent you this query. but it didn't work so i turned to you
this folder is abt 6.09MB in size and has two files in it amd64 and i386. This folder was created automatically.
It is not giving me any problem at present but who knows in future it may cause many many problems...!!!

You will have some big issues if you start deleting files that don't have any issues now but may in the future. People will kill all of their children at birth thinking that way :p 

Hey, what's this "Windows" folder, it's not having any issues, I'll just delete it. Well, my car is running fine, but I better replace all of it's parts anyway now before anything breaks in the future. See, does not work very well.

This looks like a folder that is either holding or held update files for you system, and it may be system files that the OS needs to run. Leve em alone.

m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 5:41:27 PM

sunit_4073 said:
See i bought a 160 GB hard drive and partitioned it in four parts. C,D,E,F.
i think it is a storage drive. am i right?

Why on earth would you do that, you are just cutting your capacity by 4 for each drive.
m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 5:52:30 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Why on earth would you do that, you are just cutting your capacity by 4 for each drive.

Lots of people partition their drive for various reasons. You can keep your OS, apps, data, storage..etc all seperate. It doesn't necessarily divide the storage by 4, because the partitions can be set up for whatever size the user wants.
m
l
July 1, 2010 6:39:32 PM

hey i did what u suggested and now the folder is gone. but since i installed these tune up utilities, i cant open some/most video's on youtube.
what must have gone wrong???
m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 6:45:38 PM

You may need to reinstall Adobe Flash.
m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 7:21:36 PM

sunit_4073 said:
hey i did what u suggested and now the folder is gone. but since i installed these tune up utilities, i cant open some/most video's on youtube.
what must have gone wrong???

You must weigh the risk of an un-welcome outcome if you don't know what you are doing or why..

I said in part "It does not obey the Windows protected file system protocols.
It will delete any file, anywhere, even open files, so be careful."

Apparently those files were needed by Adobe Flash. You can re-install Flash.

My apologies that my advice resulted in something not working. My advice was based on your desire to remove some files that persistently refused to be deleted. I do not question a person’s motive for wanting to do what they wish.

I whole-heartedly agree with the answer given by
hang-the-9,

"You will have some big issues if you start deleting files that don't have any issues now but may in the future. People will kill all of their children at birth thinking that way :p 

Hey, what's this "Windows" folder, it's not having any issues, I'll just delete it. Well, my car is running fine, but I better replace all of it's parts anyway now before anything breaks in the future. See, does not work very well.

This looks like a folder that is either holding or held update files for you system, and it may be system files that the OS needs to run. Leve em alone.

m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 8:35:38 PM

aford10 said:
Lots of people partition their drive for various reasons. You can keep your OS, apps, data, storage..etc all seperate. It doesn't necessarily divide the storage by 4, because the partitions can be set up for whatever size the user wants.

I used to think that was a good idea, but almost always you need to copy a 3 gig file and only have 1gig left on a partition, then you're stuck.

And it's all on one disk anyway, that's why directories were invented, to separate things. He's basically saying, I will need this much space for my files and will never need any more.
m
l
a b 8 Security
July 1, 2010 8:52:33 PM

It's most helpful when you want to reinstall your OS, but not lose any data. You can reinstall the OS on just the C partition, and it won't effect the others. Obviously, if your partitions are running out of space, you've outgrown your hard drive or you need to space the partitions better.

There is some software that can expand partitions on the fly if it becomes a real problem.
m
l
July 4, 2010 10:00:53 AM

hey there, my problem of youtube videos is solved. it had nothing to do with the files that i deleted...
i guess it was just the coincidence that videos stopped opening for a while and now everything is proper functional.

Thank you
m
l
July 4, 2010 10:01:10 AM

Best answer selected by sunit_4073.
m
l
!