Giga-Byte GV-RX80256D Silent Pipe

Wakou

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Hi, recently bought this from E-bay and when any 3D load is placed on it the temperature goes to 128C and it crashes/resets.
(It is based on the Radeon X800). Running 2D or just ordinary windoze etc it sits at 77C. Has anyone here experience or know of any online resources which might help?
I am thinking of taking the silent pipe off and reseating it with new thermal paste as a first measure.
What components are especially taxed in 3D?
What is advised for cleaning old thermal paste?

Wakou

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
and.......
WTF were Giga-Byte using as thermal paste??
thick yellow crud, rock hard took hours to get off.
This might be usful for others who have propblems with an old card, if the thrmal paste has hardened to this degree, thenthe E-bay transport might be enough to "crack" the seal, leaving air between the Heatsink and the spreader, and instant overheating propblems.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
First off return that junk to E-bay im sorry you were misinformed but for w/e price u got say "it is defective" which in your case it really is because its overheating very bad.

77C?! dear god man your going to kill the GFX card my 8800GT runs@ 60C FULL LOAD,

Obviously one problem is the Silent pipe the X800 is not a non power hungry/ heat efficient card its maybe one of the worst.

IMHO, just return it, it not even worth spending money to get a decent GPU heatsink.

Hope this helps.

Wakou

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Thanks Xazax! I realise that 77/128 are slightly warm temps (!) I did e-mail the seller ( a dealer) and he apologised and instantly credited my PayPal account for the full amount, shipping inc., and told me to keep or dispose of the card as I pleased, so fair play and rep+++ points to him. He had listed 10 of these units, I guess he had seen them "working" and assumed they were OK.

Obviously one problem is the Silent pipe the X800 is not a non power hungry/ heat efficient card its maybe one of the worst.

I am not sure exactly what you mean by this? X800 IS power hungry? My assumption was that passive cooled units, comparing like for like were less hungry than their counterparts, as there is no blower to run, and one reason I was attracted to it was that I run a microATX box, and it is very difficult to get a meaty PSU to fit. I have a punchier PSU, but I would have to strap it to the top of the case, not ideal! I am still trying to hack off the gunk from the GPU, I have not even started on the HS yet, as access is difficult. I have an old AGP X800 (Sapphire)with a puny little fan, I am going to try with that to see if it is worth going any further

Wakou

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Just come across this elsewhere:

As regards the R430, by its architecture it is a direct heir to R423 (RX800XT PCI-E), with a minor but an important reservation related to the finer 0.11 mk process technology. Thus, the card does not prove insatiable in terms of power consumption, especially that the chip's standard operating frequency is not at all over the top. Therefore, the card does not require either additional power supply (the available 75W fed to the card via the PCI-Express is quite enough) or a monstrous cooling system for trouble-free operation.