avery49

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I recently reformatted and reinstalled windows xp, but now even after I enable windows audio service, enable onboard soundcard, and install drivers I get a "No Audio device detected' In the device manager,my onboard sound card is listed as Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with a yellow question mark next to it. On its properties it says it is not configured correctly. I have a Asrock k10n78m motherboard. Anyone know how to fix this?

Maybe the onboard sound chip is defective and no longer operable. If you have the correct audio driver installed, try deleting the audio device with the yellow ! in Device manager. When the machine restarts perhaps the driver will install on restart. Otherwise, when you did the reformat and reinstallation, some of the files may have been corrupted/omitted. You could run a chkdsk and see if that finds anything.

Well, if you are using the correct driver and the sound worked prior to the reinstallation of the OS, either the new OS installation has an error regarding the sound device or the sound chip is defective. Try installing the sound driver in Safe Mode.

avery49

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Well it didn't fix it, but now the device is recognized as a Realtek card, and says it has a driver installed ( version is 5.10.0.6132) but not configured correctly. It has a yellow ! instead of a ? now. Also it says (code 1) after it not being configured.

avery49

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I have, several times, I have tried to use the device manager update drivers tool but that doesnt locate any, so I have to install them manually. I have always installed them manually before by downloading them from asrocks site.

In Control Panel what happens when you click and open Sound? Also, is there a Realtek sound control panel installed on the Start Menu? How about in Control Panel, any Realtek software control panel for sound?

I hate to say try a repair install. But if there is a problem in the registry with sound device, this would repair any problem.

perhaps try agin to 'uninstall' the realtek sound device in Device manager then reboot the system and if realtek sound can pick up the driver and install it.

avery49

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I have tried uninstalling the device, and have downloaded those drivers, will download them again and reinstall though. Also there is no realtek option in control panel, when my sound works there should be a red speaker icon, and "no audio device " when i click sounds and audio.

Be sure to install SP3. Again, for some reason the driver is not installing like it would normally. Could be the result of a 'bad' sound chip. But the sound worked before the reinstallation of XP. Maybe something in the registry is corrupted during the reinstallation of the OS. You may try running CCcleaner's registry cleaner. A Repair Install of the OS is another option.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

When you load the CCC 10.6 drivers for the Radeon 4650 and do not choose custom installation, a HDMI audio driver is loaded. It could be that driver from the ATI driver is causing a conflict. If you reload the 10.6 CCC driver choose custom install and uncheck the audio driver from the installation. Also, check the add/remove programs in control panel for an audio drivers which may have been installed. I am just speculating, I do not know for a fact if any HDMI audio driver from ATI will cause a problem although it has on some of my systems. Once I removed the ATI HDMI audi driver my audio came back to normal.

avery49

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I just reinstalled my video card drivers, chose custom install but there were no optional audio drivers. And add or remove programs shows there being a realtek high definition audio driver installed.

I think I would uninstall that realtek audio driver then try and reinstall the original realtek driver from the MB CD. In fact, you might install driver sweeper and uninstall any realtek audio drivers on the system. That would hopefully clean up any registry entrys too.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/