Motherboard stopped recognizing SATA drives, please help

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I left my computer on as I always do. After I came back from work, it restarted after I touched it. On post screen, no SATA drives were found. So, the boot manager came with an error "Please install boot disk". The motherboard is Foxconn AMD Nforce 590 SLI. Two SATA drives WD 750GB HDD and Samsung SATA DVDRW. So far I tried everything in the BIOS. Unplugged the drives, tried different SATA ports, removed and installed memory and video card, cleared CMOS. There is power to DVDRW drive as I can open the it and put a bootable XP CD. Nothing helped. All six sata connections come up on the first screen after restart and they all say no drive. Please, help.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Sounds like you zapped it or your [power supply zapped it one of the two. My power supply recently decided to eat my drives and mother board and my intel sata controller stopped working correctly out of no where and I am rma'ing it now. I have heard of people holding enough charge to zap their stuff when they touch it. I would think that the power supply is guilty though more then likely but, it sounds like either way you go you have a crippled mother board but, I would check the drives on another system if I were you and make sure that your piower supplu didn't just zap them and not the board as mine decided to have fun with both.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Try this, see if you have a spare drive or one you can borrow in order to see if it's only the drives, if that doesn't work, I'd be rmaing that board and finding a different power supply. I've had that happen before, and no fun.

nickr336

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I tried a different hard drive, but it didn't recognize it either. The sata power cable works because I can open DVDRW trey and put a CD in there.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
That doesn't matter it could have surged and fried your stuff. Hook one of your drives to another mother board and see if they still work , if not then I wouldn't keep connecting that cd rom to it if I was you. I would swap that Motherboard and have the power supply tested or swap it.

Dudeson

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
do this, its happening 2 me atm aswell....Go into boot priority (F9) and select ur HDD that has Windows on it, (channel 2 or watever) and go from there