is i possible to build a mac pro?

gallionfc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
ok so the only reason im asking is because of software; I want final cut pro! and no matter how powerful a windows machine I build with adobe premire pro 2.0 its still not as smooth and problem free as a mac, because of the software. so is it made from available parts? and is it actually possible? all input appreciated.

typical mac fanboy crap. Adobe premiere (and the entire adobe suite with adobe bridge) is leaps and bounds ahead of final cut. Final Cut is barely above windows movie maker.. in terms of usefulness.

You can put OSX on regular PC parts... not legally of course... but there is a project called OSX86 that allows you to do that,

gallionfc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
^ how exactly am I a fanboy, you fruitcake? Because I prefer 1, just 1, programme over another? your the fanboy, because you think EVERYTHING in the windows environment is superior to OS X. you probably think Vista is much better than XP. FANBOY.

Adobe is available on both windows and OSX.

Its not that you prefer final cut over adobe... its that your too dumb to realize that adobe makes a superior product (which it in fact does).

Ive met your kind before: Mac is better for film! Final Cut Rocks! Windoz sucks because it crashes lots!

Your in the wrong forum if you think people will take kindly to those kind of responses.

gallionfc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

it doesnt matter who youve met, at the end of the day your immature and couldnt give a straight, polite answer. and your arguing with the wrong person if you think I care about how 'kindly' other morons like you perceive you being called a fruitcake. your too sensitive, you know? relax, neither gates nor jobs is paying you, and definitely not adobe.

gallionfc

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

fruitcake # 2

Actually getting stuck into the OP for being a Mac user is ok ... but his defense is sound in this case ... so you flopped on your ass.

Final cut is the standard ... the rest are **** in comparison.

Plus the Mac is heaps more stable than any Windows box for this kind of work.

If you can't accept that then your an idiot.

You can shoot down the Mac users on any other thing ... just not in this area ... yet.

Why not go on about the lack of games, cost, etc.

Next he will tell you how well the monitors work ... compared to the rubbish drivers we have to put up with.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Get the hell out of town. Get real. If a Mac was worth a **** then they would be all over the place. The fact is they are not. I havent had a software related crash in over 5 years. I have repaired at least 100 macs in that time all of wich are defective and are not even compatable with there own hardware out of the box. The reason nobody is buiying Macs for biz in mass is because the numbers dont lie. The numbers have always supported one thing alone and that is the fact that Macs are the absolute biggest peaces of **** in the computing industry.

Stop telling everyone how great Macs are. I am sick and Fing tired of fixing those POS rigs that cost 2x more then they should.

jerseygamer

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007

Are you realy going to even try to compare a windows XP based PC to a mass production Mac? Go away! You are a flipping idiot. Anyone that works in this industry will tell you there is no contest. An XP machine will blow the doors off of a mac for half the price and does not constantly need a full reinstall and a yearly high cost service just to keep it alive.

Compareing Final cut to Adobe is like comparing a skateboard to a Porche. Have you ever used either app? I doubt it.

MACS are Good ... deal with it.

If they weren't they wouldn't sell.

They sell well ... I never said they were cheap.

I'm outa town ... your clearly upset.

I recommend you cuddle your PC for a while ... and increase the price you charge for Mac repairs ... extract your own revenge.

Iv'e had a couple ... they were good for work - a Mac Plus, and a Power PC desktop ... forgot the model.

The old Mac Plus was a great little box in it's day.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Jeeez guys, calm the hell down. Why is everyone getting so heated for this?

The downright truth? I agree with Reynod on this one. This is coming from a seasoned video editor...13 years worth, all on pc, and some years spent on a mac. The conclusion? Macs are good at what they are good for, video editing being one of them, and operating system as well. Now that does not mean they are infinitely better, PC's have more strong points, but the fact that mac OSX runs off Unix is a huge plus.

Now, would I ever buy a mac? No, but I have access to one, a mac pro with two dual core 2.67 ghz processors and 8 gigs of ram. It's sitting in the other room, my brother goes to Art center in Pasadena, California (very top notch art school). I must say, overall, the mac does have many strong points. But once again, would I buy one? Absolutely not, I get way more for my money through PC's, plus I'm a gamer as well, so it makes sense to stay with the operating system that suits me.

Now, I know why many of you get angry, there are a lot of idiots out there who praise mac and only mac, who stand in line to buy the latest apple products on release day, and think they are better then you because they have a mac. The truth is, they don't know jack squat...At least the OP stated the reason, and wants to buy a PC with OSX and Final Cut...He's not a brainwashed idiot who swears by buying apple products...So give him a damn break.

Apples are indeed good for video editing, final cut pro is indeed a good video editing application, they are overall good at what they do. But that does not make them any better than PC's, or vice versa...They both have their strengths. Just leave it at that...

nitrous9200

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I have been using Final Cut Pro on a Mac Pro with the standard 2 Xeons (don't know what speed) and 8GB of RAM every day, and the only thing special I find about it is the (sometimes) fast render time. It's even crashed on me just minimizing the windows. I haven't used the Adobe editing app, but FCP seems to make everything more difficult than it should be and doesn't shine in any one particular area. That's my take, but still, if you want to build your own, you can wait for the Skulltrail platform to come out and try and build a Hackintosh or use OSx86. I don't do either of them (Windows video editing is stable enough for me) so I can't help you out. It is possible, just probably not worth the trouble.

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
hi, the answer is yes, you can build a mac... ive tried running a cracked version of osx 10.9 on my amd pc and it worked after many painful hours of messing around.

in the end a compatability issiue with my sound card, wich is normaly supported under os x caused me to give up on it... i wanted it for audio work so a non functioning soundcard was a big no no.

unless you are really, really into sitting for hours and hours researching, rebooting, re-installing, formatting, and the rest of that bollocks involved you'd probably be better buying one.

in the time i spent getting a semi functional hackintosh i could have earned enough money to buy one, (literally) and i earn £6.50 an hour.

it would be interesting to see if you manage to get a fully working system though.. i was almost there and i didnt build the system woth os x in mind at all. its definately possible but was difficult for me.

in conclusion it is possible but apple have made it very difficult. unless you know A LOT about computers, and dont mind the uncertanty of not having a fully operational mac i personally don't think its worth the pain... im going to wait a few years 'till the hackers have perfected their art and try again. or maybe ill have saved up some dosh and just buy one.

good look

psymanproductions

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
heres a good place to start your research if you do decide to go through with it

http://www.osx86project.org/

ill be here to offer what help i can in your quest to get a hackintosh 'cos if you get a working system i'll probably build one based around it lol

p.s why the big fanfare of apple bashing and windows extremism lol. os x is a good operating system with good software, same goes for windows and linux. if some one prefers os x for a certain function then whats the problem... all 3 os es have their strengths and weaknesses, media creation is one of os x's strengths. gaming is a windows strength and stability is a linux strength.

if you are so closed minded that you will seriously state one of the 3 are useless then go see a psychiatrist you software Nazi.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Found this info it may be helpful.

Forgive Skittle he is Bi-polar.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=942

Only half the time. (heh heh)

Fact still remains though: Adobe is the way to go... doesnt matter if you edit on MAC or Windows. You cannot beat the power of the adobe suite. I can literally copy and paste stuff from sound booth and photoshop into premiere for editing, then copy and paste that into after effects for final work and rendering... All without any saving projects/rendering...And when you edit something in one app, it automatically updates in the other... For example, editing a frame in photoshop will update its self in premiere. Then I can author my own professional quality DVD with Encore. What does Final Cut offer you? Non Linear editing? Sorry but if thats all I need, then Ill just stick with the free stuff.

I always say Macs are for people who don't know ho to use a PC properly. If you know what you are doing you wont have XP or Vista crash(I haven't had Vista crash on me just unstable RAM/CPU when OC'ing but thats done now) on you. I have never had them crash or gotten a virus.

If you are doing rendering/encoding/music and want to do it on a PC you just have to know how to do it by building it with the right components.

But either way building a Mac probably isn't as fun. You can do it but why? Just pay Steve Jobs for his over priced PC with OS X on it and let him be happy. Kinda like those guys who buy an uberly over priced Alienware.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007

Well you compare a pipeline of work involving 4 applications with only one. BTW Final Cut is now sold as the Final Cut Studio, which include Final Cut, Motion, Soundtrack, Color, Compressor and DVD Studio Pro. This is a pretty capable package, with strenghts and weaknesses just as the Production Premium from Adobe.

Only weakness adobe has is its price.

So final cut studio is kind of like the adobe suite... minus the tight integration between apps... and photoshop obviously.

Once again, Ill pass... in favor of a streamlined work flow, not to mention it doesnt force me to into OSX.