kay2sm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Uninstalled some 2005 Hotfixes for XP coz of a space crunch. Related to migrating between 32 bit and 64 bit XP packages.
As a result Internet Explorer 8 has disappeared alongwith Windows media player 9 which were up and functioning before my space freeing measures with Add/Remove Progs.
Now I get the following error messages.
Decded to Restore the system. When I try to access I get the following Error Message: Iexplore.exe - The ordinal 414 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll.
Intermittently the following msg pops up:
- Microsoft Management Console feeds synchronisation.... and needs to close.
The Event Viewer in the Admn Tools showed it as an application Error with the following description "Faulting application msfeedssync.exe version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module user32dll.version 5.1.2600.3099 fault address 0x000095c8 and they pop up again at random intervals 5-10 mins.
Google Chrome browser working. Am basically working on a P4 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM PC with a Windows XP Pro SP2 OS. This is a DSL Broad Band connection.

Really grateful for advice.

Firstly, you would have saved more space by opening up hidden files and folders and unhiding protected system files and then deleting all but the first of the list of files that show up in blue in the C:\Windows folder - the ones with the $ symbol followed by Uninstall. That gets rid of the rubbish that comes with Hotfixes without losing the benefits. Also, go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and bin everything in the Downloads folder and the Event Caché. There's about 3Gb to be gained form doing the above in a system that grew up before SP3 came along.

As to the rest of eth problem, I can only suggest going to the M$ site and getting fresh downloads of IE 8 and WMP 11
[/#000ff]

kay2sm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010

Thanks saga. I'm a novice, using basic logic to c my way thru. I now think that if I get the System Restore Utility to work, it might solve things. So I booted up in Safe Mode and tried to run it. Gives me an error " System restore:rstrui.exe - Ordinal not found. Close the error message and I get a blank box on the system restore dates. Search shows me this file at 4 locations - C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$, C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386, both these in blue. Then in black C:\Windows\System32\Restore and again in blue C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ServicePackFiles\i386. I have no clue as to how to proceed from there. My basic criticality is that my daughter downloaded a whole lot of album art for her ipod om the Windows Media Player and I really wish I could retrieve that. Hence the focus on System Restore. Can you help me out on that please....

Sadly there's no guarantee System restore can get you out of this one but I think Windows saying "ordinal can't be found" could mean the file is not in its prime and/or proper position.

In My Computer, navigate to C:\Windows\system32\Restore to confirm that rstrui.exe cannot be found in there then leave that window open and open a fresh one in My Computer. Navigate to C:\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 and right click rstrui.exe then choose Copy. In the other window, click on the Edit menu and then on Paste to put a copy into the Restore folder. Close both forms and restart the computer then try to start SR again.

If it won't work or you can't find the files you want, don't despair at this stage - other methods remain available.

kay2sm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010

Hi Saga... Took the "easy" way out and just did a reformat and started from scratch. Having a problem with the Windows Service Pack 3 installation though. Have tried 5 times both through Automatic updates and direct down load from Microsoft downloads. Keep getting the Error Code 0x80070005 which I understand is the Access denied error. Have done everything mentioned in these KB articles:
950717- steps before installing XP SP3. Though I have a Windows XP Pro, I didnt create an ASR set for want of a floppy.
950718-Troubleshooting
949377-"Access denied"

the last few lines of the svcpack.log are as follows. They hint towards the problem, I think. Can you shed some light pl.

1787.343: Downloading 2258 files
1787.343: bPatchMode = TRUE
1788.218: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 1628765 ticks
1788.625: Num Ticks for invent : 1629172
1912.843: [dumpDownloadTask] Update.exe posting request file to download a total of 54533774 bytes (19863544 bytes in patches and 34670230 bytes in fallbacks)
1912.875: dumpDownloadTask returned 0xf200 (more files to download)
1935.656: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2
1935.656: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.
1935.812: Service Pack 3 installation did not complete.
1935.812: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf200

Thanks.

kay2sm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hey Saga and all. The prob sorted itself out. After 10 failed attempts to install XP SP3 it just slid in through Automatic Updates a couple of days back and got installed. Dunno how...but lifes cheerful and updated again. Thanx

TRENDING THREADS