New system build - rate it/recommendations

olympian

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Just completed my first personal build in 4 years. I don't usually upgrade a lot, and like my builds to last a long time, hence why I decided on the following. It's used as an office, student, multimedia and light gaming rig. Please rate out of 10 and recommend anything else that comes to mind. Thanks.

Microstar P35 Neo2-FR
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Patriot Xtreme Performance 4GB PC-6400
ATi Radeon HD3870 512MB
Seagate Barracuda 5200.11 500GB SATA
Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RW SATA
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W EPS12V
Coolermaster CM690 ATX Black
Altec Lansing VS3251 5.1 Surround Sound
Acer AL1916W 19" LCD Screen
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium X64

olympian

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
So far, the Patriot memory has been working perfectly with the MSI board, no complaints there. I'm running it at 4-4-4-12 timings and I have 4x1 GB.

And yes Beurling, the system is extremely solid and stable with Vista x64. I'm loving my ATi card also. :wahoo:

tlmck

Distinguished
Looks pretty good. Not really a fan of MSI, Patriot, or Acer screens. Also hope you got one of the good Pioneer drives. They had some issues in the recent past. The case and PSU are excellent choices.

I also assume that is an actual ATI branded card as opposed to Sapphire, Diamond etc... If so, your the first person I have seen actually buying ATI. Not a bad choice, just generally more expensive than the others.

But hey, it is your machine and if your happy with it, that's all that matters. Spec wise it should last you a while. As chuckm said, keep us posted. More knowledge is never a bad thing.